Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FBI Issue S&W Model 10-8 2.5 inch

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    I will say that I wish Ruger would bring back the Speed/Service/Security Six series guns. As much as I love my S&Ws, the Rugers are my go to choice. .
    I like the S&W’s trigger better.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Agreed. In the 90s, the Cincinnati field office had some good guys that put on SWAT and “observer/sniper” classes.

Also, back then, pre-Simunition, red handled revolvers were used to shoot 38 Special cases loaded only with primers and cotton balls. I don’t know if they were locally loaded or commercially available
    Decades ago I went to a shoot/don’t shoot class. Several rooms were set up with different situations. Both officers and suspects used a primer only revolver cartridge. An effective way to show how quickly a situation can go south.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I like the S&W’s trigger better.
    Stephanie B:
    I agree that S&W's have better triggers but I prefer the Ruger's for thier ruggedness/durability. That and I grew up with Ruger Security Six series guns. Once you shoot the Rugers a bit, they tend to smooth out pretty nicely.
    Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Been helping a neighbor with his 2.75" Speed Six. Great accuracy and have modified the hammer spring/ mainspring with a GP100 12 pound spring and polished the mainspring strut. This has really smoothed up the action. I cannot "stage" the trigger DA like I can with a S&W but just a straight through DA pull through works quite well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Been helping a neighbor with his 2.75" Speed Six. Great accuracy and have modified the hammer spring/ mainspring with a GP100 12 pound spring and polished the mainspring strut. This has really smoothed up the action. I cannot "stage" the trigger DA like I can with a S&W but just a straight through DA pull through works quite well now.

Zeke38:

That is a great example of a Speed Six. The Security/Service/Speed Six guns respond really well to polishing the internals and then dry firing them a bunch. It is pretty hard to screw up a Ruger (but not impossible). As much as I love my S&Ws, that Speed Six is the ultimate evolution of the three inch magnum carry revolver. The only other things I would do is substitute a spurless hammer and render it double action (trigger cocking) only and lightly chamfer the charge holes (to facilitate speed loading). Kudos for helping your neighbor with this project.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Thank you Bruce. Working with a revolver newbie and a light chamfer on the cylinder is a prudent modification on this sample. We're bringing this revolver along.

User Tag List