Thread: New G34 Gen 5 failure to feed issue.

New G34 Gen 5 failure to feed issue.

Has anyone had any feeding issues with your Gen 5 34? Took my blue label out today for its maiden voyage and had 3 failures to feed. all three were with Fed 115gr. ball. Basically the fired round ejected and slide didn't cycle far enough to catch the base of the next round and caught the bullet on the incoming round resulting in the failure to feed. I am guessing being new and using some fairly anemic Federal 115gr. was the root cause. Ran a few 124gr HST that I had in my range bag and could definitely notice an increase in the slide velocity. I probably should have ran some 124gr. first but 115gr. was already in my gear. Gun was cleaned prior to shooting and lubed properly. This is my first time owning a 34 and Just curious if you have noticed anything similar
    Thanks

Bought a Gen 5 G34 MOS last November, 1,583 of FMJ range ammo (mostly AE, 115 or 124) to date, zero malfunctions.

Trying to think of what might impede the slide:

No burrs on the Firing Pin Safety? (push Firing Pin Safety up and down, feel for roughness or grit)

Spring seated properly on Extractor Depressor Plunger (check spring is engaged on EDP)?

EDP assembled the right way around (steel on steel, polymer on polymer)?

Magazine springs within specification (at least four coils above base, when disassembled)?

Otherwise, I'd send some warm ammo through it and see if the problem repeats, maybe. Hopefully just needs to settle in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CDFIII View Post
    Has anyone had any feeding issues with your Gen 5 34? Took my blue label out today for its maiden voyage and had 3 failures to feed. all three were with Fed 115gr. ball. Basically the fired round ejected and slide didn't cycle far enough to catch the base of the next round and caught the bullet on the incoming round resulting in the failure to feed. I am guessing being new and using some fairly anemic Federal 115gr. was the root cause. Ran a few 124gr HST that I had in my range bag and could definitely notice an increase in the slide velocity. I probably should have ran some 124gr. first but 115gr. was already in my gear. Gun was cleaned prior to shooting and lubed properly. This is my first time owning a 34 and Just curious if you have noticed anything similar
    Thanks
    Common and you self diagnosed it.

For using target ammo, you can get an aftermarket RSA assembly with lighter spring that should work 100%.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve loaned a gamer RSA to struggling new Glock shooters at the range.

The firmer your grip the more energy you keep in the axis of the slide.

Glock RSA are meant to handle +P ammo so it’s a little strong for weak target stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Bought a Gen 5 G34 MOS last November, 1,583 of FMJ range ammo (mostly AE, 115 or 124) to date, zero malfunctions.

Trying to think of what might impede the slide:

No burrs on the Firing Pin Safety? (push Firing Pin Safety up and down, feel for roughness or grit)

Spring seated properly on Extractor Depressor Plunger (check spring is engaged on EDP)?

EDP assembled the right way around (steel on steel, polymer on polymer)?

Magazine springs within specification (at least four coils above base, when disassembled)?

Otherwise, I'd send some warm ammo through it and see if the problem repeats, maybe. Hopefully just needs to settle in a bit.
    I was thinking about those exact possibilities as well. Checked for burrs. none to be found. Pulled EDP and inspected, all is well. I haven't checked mag springs yet. I only ran the single box of 50 Fed. 115 ball through it to check function, unfortunately that was all I had minus the few 124 HST I had from changing over a carry mag's ammo. The trip was really for my son to shoot his G44 and 10-22.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Common and you self diagnosed it.

For using target ammo, you can get an aftermarket RSA assembly with lighter spring that should work 100%.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve loaned a gamer RSA to struggling new Glock shooters at the range.

The firmer your grip the more energy you keep in the axis of the slide.

Glock RSA are meant to handle +P ammo so it’s a little strong for weak target stuff.
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking that was the case but since this is my first 34 I wasn't sure. I know that all my HK P30L's required a few boxes of 124gr to get it to run 115gr. reliably.

Site Supporter
    Fed 115gr ball is typically lower energy/slide speed than other things like Lawman or American Eagle. That, in a new gun with a new stock RSA, means some low slide speed malfunctions as described in many cases.

I wouldn’t worry about unless it does the same thing with other, more normal powered ammo.

When I got my vintage 1988 Gen2 G19 back from Glock, (a few years back), with a new frame and updated internals...it choked like nobody's business on a box of 115 gr FMJ Blazer (Brass). It was an ugly sight.

The next day I took it back out with assorted ammo, training and carry, from 124 to 147 grain...and all was again well with the world that day...and since.

(At least as far as that gun is concerned.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by CDFIII View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking that was the case but since this is my first 34 I wasn't sure. I know that all my HK P30L's required a few boxes of 124gr to get it to run 115gr. reliably.
    This is what you want:

https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-1...k-g17-gl11.htm

It’ll run super light target ammo and handle more limp wristing if son or wife shoot it.

Wouldn’t run +P with it though.

Alternately can do the 13 pounder.

https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-1...k-g17-gl13.htm

For $26 and free shipping it’s a good investment anyway if you think you’ll ever play around with a compensator or other slide slowing device you’ll need lighter springs anyway and you can swap them out on these rods.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This is what you want:

https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-1...k-g17-gl11.htm

It’ll run super light target ammo and handle more limp wristing if son or wife shoot it.

Wouldn’t run +P with it though.

Alternately can do the 13 pounder.

https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-1...k-g17-gl13.htm

For $26 and free shipping it’s a good investment anyway if you think you’ll ever play around with a compensator or other slide slowing device you’ll need lighter springs anyway and you can swap them out on these rods.
    And.. you answered my next question... Much appreciated!

User Tag List