Thread: Took my girlfriend shooting yesterday...

Took my girlfriend shooting yesterday...

Yesterday, I took my girlfriend shooting. I took a couple of my fullsize handguns with us. This was only 2nd time she has shot a handgun. My girlfriend isn't really into guns, and owns none. But, she doesn't mind going to shoot very occasionally. I have tried to get her to go a few other times, but she wasn't really that interested to go as often as I would like her too.

Well, last weekend when I went to a gun store, she came with me. She saw someone she knew, and that person started sending her messenger messages about guns. Her friend assumed she was into shooting. So, that spurred my girlfriend to go with me again.

Yesterday, I took the Glock 34 and the Beretta M9A3. My girlfriend shot the M9A3 last time, and liked it best. So, I thought I would take it again...

We both shoot the Beretta better (my groups are a little tighter with the Beretta). And, she really liked the Beretta. She did fantastic.

It's funny... She is from Russia. She told me when she was in college at music school in the early 1990s (she is a piano teacher) - a military soldier came and taught all the students how to shoot an AK. She also had to learn how to clean it and disassemble/reassemble it.

She told me the soldier always liked coming to teach the young college girls. She was in an all girls class, and they all had to learn how to do this. She was in her early 20s at that point, and had not fired a gun again until she met me.

I have a lot of different guns. And, the Beretta is too heavy for me to carry with my back problems. But, it IS my favorite to shoot out of all my handguns. My M9A3 is one from that 1 batch they made in MD before they stopped production and moved to TN.

Anyway, fun time yesterday. Here is a target she shot at 25 feet with the M9A3 (15 rounds thru 1 mag). Pretty damn good...

I can say that a good Beretta and a good Russian woman are two great things.

This thread would be a lot better with more pictures.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post

She told me the soldier always liked coming to teach the young college girls.
    Ya think???!!!

I wouldn’t want to stand in front of her whether she had a Beretta or some other firearm!

I have a theory about women and shooting that kind of morphs over to men shooters also: The good ones often have other have hobbies/jobs that require hand eye coordination and precision.

Case in point: wife number one was a whiz at needle point, counted cross stitching, and quilting. I taught her to shoot when we were stationed in Hawthorne, Nevada. She started off with .22's - largely because I had a Marlin 39A and could borrow a .22 revolver, .22 ammo is cheaper than .45 ammo, after all. She got very good in a short period of time. I remember the first time she shot my Commander, her remark was 'it's loud' as she continued shooting.

Several years later I got a gig teaching a riflery class at the local JUCO. One evening she asked if she could come and watch. End result was once I showed her how the sling worked, she out shot everyone in the class. A couple years after that we moved to Hutchinson, KS, home of the Kansas State Fair. The ARNG had a shooting booth at the fair where they let folks shoot pellet rifles at targets. It was a hoot to watch her go up to the booth at act all 'really, you can show me how to shoot?' and then smoke the target.

Funny thing was beyond that, she really had no interest in shooting. In Nevada, it was simply a time killer, nothing else to do. But she was a very good shooter, which I largely attribute to her hobbies.

With that in my mind, whenever we had a female officer who was an above average shot, I'd quizz them about hobbies, etc. They often had been athletic growing up, or had past times similar to my wife's.

Going on that same bent, most of the really good shooters that I know are of the same persuasion, they are mechanically inclined and/or have jobs/hobbies involving some degree of focus and precision.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Well, I hope I can get her to go more often - we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I have a theory about women and shooting that kind of morphs over to men shooters also: The good ones often have other have hobbies/jobs that require hand eye coordination and precision.
    I have definitely noticed this. I've also noticed that women are better at following instructions than men, and there's no cultural expectation for them to be good shots. Most men, on the other hand, think that they were born like Jelly Bryce.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

One day a particularly sharp newcomer was just getting everything. We'd literally gone from zero to dot torture from the holster in about half an hour, and I was impressed with her accuracy. She asked whether we could incorporate some movement. So I set up some markers and now she's doing a box drill, shooting on the move, reloading, ringing the plate every time, and this is in the first two hours of her picking up a pistol. Well, I was beyond impressed, and I told her so. I told her that her ability was not typical, that most people couldn't do what she'd just did (i.e: shooting on the move, with accuracy), to which she replied: "It's not that different from syncronized swimming."

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    She was not my girlfriend (Mrs gata naranja would not be pleased if I had one - even a homely one), but the girlfriend of a fellow shooter was persuaded to give handguns a try.

She ended up shooting everything from .22 semi-target pistols to .357 revolvers, and what is more, she did not complain about grips not fitting her, sights being hard to see, how heavy a gun was, etc (though she DID have preferences when all was said and done).

That skinny little gal was getting groups that made me reevaluate my own abilities. She was GOOD. A "natural," if there is such a thing. All she said about it was that it seemed pretty easy to do. I told her that I had been around the block a time or two, and that she had a gift for shooting. Alas, she never did take up the hobby, and it was a talent that did not get used as it should have been.

When I took formal target riflery in college, I went in thinking I was good, but found that I was merely in the top half of the class (I had good eyes back then). I managed to buckle down and ace everything by the end but while I had advanced my standing, I - and everyone else - was outshot by a quiet, nice-looking young woman who had up to that time very little experience with guns of any sort. One of the instructors said from the get-go that it was not unusual for women to outshoot the men because they had better fine motor skills.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List