Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone go Bigger With Range Bags? Stress packing for classes

Anyone go Bigger With Range Bags? Stress packing for classes

I have a problem. Anytime I do an outdoor range trip Or take a class, it’s a panic the night before or morning of to shove extra stuff into my range bag. It’s making these trainings not fun and full of stress.

I have a standard range bag, medium size, for pistol shooting at an indoor range. It’s a backpack, which is nice because I might have to stand in line to check in. And it has generally only what I need. Paper targets, marker, index cards, ammo, mags, eye pro, ear pro.

Only keep four things in there for emergencies. Multi tool, TQ, glock armorer tool, and small stuck case rod.

But when I do an outdoor range session, with rifles, or if I take a class, I find myself grabbing stuff and shoving it into my existing bag, overstuffing it, unorganized, and usually forgetting stuff. Then I show up at this distant location I put money/time into and missing something important.

So I’m thinking about putting together an overkill range bag. For example, spare set of ear pro. Sometimes I bring a friend who is a non-shooter. Not often, but it happens. Mag LULAs. Usually I’d just grab the one specific to the weapon platform I’m using and put it into a bag if I’m doing a class. Since if it’s not a class, I’ll just load up 5 to 10 mags and not need to reload mags during the trip since I won’t shoot more than 200 to 300 rounds in a few hour non-class session, not unless it’s 1990s ammo prices.

So maybe I put all of my maglulas into this maximum range bag. And 99% of the time they go unused, but on the day of the trip, I avoid having to panic shove shit into my smaller bag.

I own this stuff and have to store this stuff somewhere anyway. This idea moves the stuff from drawers/Rubbermaids into an actual bag or rollerboard or heck, maybe it’s just a Rubbermaid container. Since I’m not going to be too far from my car when doing outdoor range/class events.

An alternative to building out a huge range bag is a checklist. So I don’t have to think about what extra to shove in my standard range bag. If it’s a carbine class, bring these X additional items. If a friend is coming, bring extra PPE. So I’ll still be shoving stuff into my bag but will not have the stress of remembering or worrying what I forgot.

Modules might help. Like a spare PPE module for a friend so I’m not grabbing 4 things, I’m only grabbing one (a pouch with the 4 things in it). Module with spare AR parts for field repairs.

Anyone else have this issue or want to discuss ideas?

I have a toolbag in my truck with enough parts and tools to keep 9mm Glocks and 5.56 ARs going through most anything that will fail.

On the line, I bring an ammo can full of ammo, a bag of mags, and bottles of water. No ice. Just throw ‘em in the shade.

Anything I should be training with is on my belt or hanging on my sling.

Eat a dense breakfast with zero carbs and you’ll be good all day on only water.

I do a range backpack for short trips and a range cart (Zuca) for larger outings when I want tools and stuff near me.

I keep a spare set of basics in the trunk as well.

Over many years I kept increasing the size of my range bags because "might need this, should have one of those, two is one and one is none..." which was OK except for matches that require walking between stages (Universal @ Frostproof, Rio Salado, etc.), then it became a nuisance.

I re-organized and now I carry a small to medium size non-tactical backpack (Roots brand from Costco) with ammunition, magazines, a pistol pouch, boo boo kit, TQ, stoppage rod, chest seals, water bottles, protein bar, and a very light rain shell. I also carry a small folding chair, this provides a place to keep the backpack out of the mud/sand/snow/water, reload magazines, and even sit if there is a wait e.g. for the previous squad to finish*.

For rifle I leave the chair and add a medium size soft case that travels in a large hard case which stays in the vehicle.

Many other parts, bits, spares, additional ammunition, locking hard case with spare handgun, drinks, food, etc. are secured in the vehicle.

Of course I stole this method from others with minor adaptations, but it works quite well for me and much better than the giant bag of stuff I used to lug around.

* I try to live and let live but some things annoy me more than they should, in this case members of a following squad that appear while the previous squad is still on the bay, and start air gunning the stages and getting in the way of the squad that needs to finish before they can start. Yes the range officials should tell them to GTFO, and some do so quite effectively, but often the officials are busy and possibly intimidated or whatever. This is more a matter of etiquette than anything in the rule book, so unless they are flagrantly disobeying the instructions of range officials it is something that goes unpunished. And of course monkey see, monkey do, so when one or two competitors do it, the rest follow like lemmings and now there are two squads stumbling around the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I have a problem. Anytime I do an outdoor range trip Or take a class, it’s a panic the night before or morning of to shove extra stuff into my range bag. It’s making these trainings not fun and full of stress.
    I use a VertX Gamut backpack and leave it dedicated as a range bag, so I leave most everything in it.

If I have to bring PPE for someone else, that's a relatively minor addition and not something to stress over. At the very least, it has a zippered pouch dedicated to disposable foamies, so there's always something in there.

I carry my mags in 10-mag pouches from Midway USA, 1 for each platform (SIG 9mm, Beretta 9mm, Glock 9mm, haven't gotten one yet for 1911s). For the M4, I have a few 3-mag bandoliers which is enough for everything I do. I keep all my mags loaded.....I usually load them when cleaning my gun(s) after a range visit, so it's just a grab'n'go affair the next time I go shooting.

Targets live in the backpack as well. B8 repair centers live in the flat zippered back panel, while regular full size targets are rolled up into one of the side pockets and stick out, similar to how you might carry a sleeping pad for camping rolled on the side of the backpack.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    The Vertx light range bag is what I use for regular trips to the range. I have a staple gun, extra staples, tourniquet, note cards, eye pro, ear pro, shot timer, dummy rounds, cleaning kit, large sharpie, tape, notebook, & pen in this bag. If I want to shoot multiple pistols or if I'm taking a class, I'll use the Vertx heavy range bag. With the exception of my shot timer, I have duplicate gear for the big bag, so I don't have to ever worry about swapping items from bag to bag. I don't know what I might need for a pistol class that wouldn't fit in the heavy bag. I have a little box full of spare pistol parts (heavy bag only) but I also have a my carry pistol in the bag as a back up to my training pistol. Admittedly I don't have to travel for classes, and the pro shop at the range is well-stocked. Both of those facts take a lot of pressure off.

For classes, I do feel some compulsion to overpack, so I often end up taking a sight pusher, other tools, and some spare holsters that stay in my trunk. I've never need any of that stuff, and no one else in any class I've taken has needed any of it.

I've only taken one rifle class, and that was about a decade ago. I'm not sure how I'd pack for one today.
    Last edited by pangloss; 09-26-2021 at 09:09 PM.

I have a lot of stuff and most of the places where I shoot are private land or the 280 acre site some buddies are developing into a training facility so I have to bring target stands, steel, and all that stuff along as well in the truck. What I am doing and how is probably going to be excessive to what you might be doing for a indoor range but maybe you can get some ideas from it all....

I have a quick loadout range bag that always goes with me. Currently it is as M81 Woodland First Spear Medical bag I found at a surplus shop in Fayetteville. I like the med bag for this due to all the smaller pockets for struff to be divided up according to its purpose. One section has eye pro, clear, dark, smoke and well as stuff specific for UTM/ SESAMS, another pocket has batteries of all types I might need, tools and a cleaning kit with oil and rods. The next section has Hearing protection in it, Both Peltors and Silynx along with some spare Surefire plugs. Another pocket has a spare hat, bug spray, baby wipes ( never leave home without these), gloves and a timer in it. One pocket has a dedicated IFAK compete with TQ's, gunshot wound stuff and a small injuries kit (Bandaids, tape, benadryl, etc) ... If i'm just taking one or two pistols to the range then I can typically fit them in the big back pocket with mags and spare ammo as well...

For classes or larger range trips I tend to break out the wheeled Pelican cases, I have received my fair share of these from the Marine Corps and some of them they never wanted back. These are great for hauling all the kit needed for carbine classes, shoothouse classes or anything else. I will still bring the regular range bag though.

All target support stuff is separate and I keep it in my garage with all of the targetry. I like large binder clips and spray glue over staples for hanging up my USPSA cardboards and B8's, looks neater and keeps my uprights from becoming deadly weapons with all the old staples in them.... I toss a couple cans in the bed of the truck of both spray glue and paint for the steel when I load that stuff up. There is a bucket filled with pasters, binder clips, black markers and various sized index cards that always gets loaded as well.

I have really only been using index cards and B8 replacement centers recently so paper reface stuff is easy....I just stick some spare B8's in the bucket with everything else.

Ammo travels in ammo cans, keeps it protected, and weather proof, I have a lifetime supply of ammo cans, thanks again USMC....Guns in gun bags, long guns in soft long gun bags. I don't try to use hard cases anymore, I found it to be too cumbersome for moving stuff around.

This works for me mainly because I can work out of the bed of my truck at my ranges. If you got to carry a bunch of stuff inside or for a ways then it probably won't.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

When I was doing classes on the reg I was never so far away from my truck that I couldn’t put all the “I might need this” crap in the truck. Sometimes I’d even put a pice of blue painter’s tape on some of the bags or boxes and pull it off if I actually accessed it. If not, don’t take it next time.

What I always spent money and time on was mags and a way to carry them. By the time I stopped taking classes I had enough loaded mags in and ammo can to get through an entire day of even the highest round count classes. IIRC I had something like 600+ rounds loaded into mags so that I never had to “jam mags” during the day. I’d just reload them in the mornings at the hotel.

General advice, you probably don’t need at least half the crap you think you do. And if you do, it’s probably a bad class.

Think about te things you *cant* finish the class without. For me it was always (assuming a carbine class) two rifles, to pistols, two holsters. There’s not really that much else, outside the obvious, that you “need”.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Consider making a checklist of all the things you think you might need/want for a class or range day. When you begin preparing for a class, first decide which items from your list you want to bring to that specific class (and appropriate quantities) based on what you know or any information provided. Then check the items off the list as you pack them. Once things are packed, leave them alone. With everything you are taking written down, you can don't have to do your thinking in front of an open bag with gear spilling out of it, and will know exactly what you have packed.

Quote Originally Posted by runngun View Post
    Consider making a checklist of all the things you think you might need/want for a class or range day.
    I did that for rifle shooting, especially BPCR which takes a lot of Stuff.

Pistol shooting, I just look in my Midway Compact bag and chant "Gun, magazines, ammo, eyes, ears, holster, pouch. A few tools and handy items live in the bag and don't need to be in the mantra.
    That bag will just accommodate another gun, frex a .22 to shoot warmup for centerfire.

I have a large bag but it has been a while since I had occasion to load it up and lug it around.
    My most usual companion has gone to a backpack.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List