Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Unfortunately I won’t be able to see it before committing (I’ve already said it’s the job I want). If I get the job I’d work on MacDill so anything within 30-60 minutes of there would be best. That includes traffic though so looking at how urban the area seems, I expect that won’t get me far.
    Been to FL before? It's different living here.
    Do you want to live in the suburbs? Rural area?
    Family to consider?
    Do you like the outdoors?

Theoretically, your driving radius takes you out to @Tom Givens territory.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Been to FL before? It's different living here.
    Do you want to live in the suburbs? Rural area?
    Family to consider?
    Do you like the outdoors?

Theoretically, your driving radius takes you out to @Tom Givens territory.
    I was born there but left when I was a toddler so not really. I’d love to live somewhere with space but don’t see that happening anywhere near the potential job. I do have a family with a toddler and dog and I like the outdoors but not not snakes or water dinosaurs which is all I picture when I hear FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I was born there but left when I was a toddler so not really. I’d love to live somewhere with space but don’t see that happening anywhere near the potential job. I do have a family with a toddler and dog and I like the outdoors but not not snakes or water dinosaurs which is all I picture when I hear FL.

Mosquitoes the size of your head have caused me far more issues enjoying the outdoors in FL than any of their snakes or gators. If it wasn’t for that time in our country when we DDT’d everything (and Air conditioning) it never would have been settled in such large numbers.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

It's not all swamp and snakes, but it takes some getting used to. I moved from an area that had made an incredible effort to have 'rail to trails', parks, and national park for hiking. I'm lucky that the county I live in has a lot of hiking, although some trails are stupid short. Always take water.

If you like fishing, you'd be moving to the right place. Hunting, not so much.

Space is relative. If you can find an older neighborhood with larger lots and no HOA, that would be a start. New developments, IMO, might as well be condos.

Everybody drives like they're on crank, and your insurance costs will reflect that.

There's no state income tax, but they make it up in other charges.

Storms and hurricanes aren't that bad, but sometimes they're the real deal. Get ready ahead of time. Hide from wind, run from water.

You can own any capacity mags you want, NFA friendly, and generally gun friendly. But if they ever get an AWB on the actual ballot, we're fucked. YOu can carry a knife with a CWP, but local laws preempt that.

Overall, I think that people's happiness in FL depends on to what extent they can say, "Hey, it's Florida."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I love it here. (I'm in Sarasota...)
    People have said everything that needs saying - but - if you ever have a question, drop a note.

I am in the process of moving to Wimauma - hopefully in a month to month and a half. I did some looking around for gun ranges and it looks like JTAC Ranch is a winner so far due to their facilities.
    I am a bit surprised by the membership cost of most of the ranges. Right now, in the Northeast (MA/NH), I belong to two clubs. I pay about $170 at one and $225 at another for an "all you can shoot" per year. The $170 has an indoor 24/7 pistol/rifle range up to 25 yards with up .50 caliber and even allows machine guns. They also have a benched 100 and 200 yard range.
    The 225 has "pistol/rifle" pits that allow for drawing from holster, shooting on the move and shooting at steel targets.

Speaking of ranges, my son lives in Orlando, and I'm planning to meet up with him mid October at Teneroc Public Shooting Range in Polk County:

https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-edu...anges/tenoroc/

I've never been, but I'm looking forward to shooting at this public FWC range, which appears to be well-set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I am in the process of moving to Wimauma - hopefully in a month to month and a half. I did some looking around for gun ranges and it looks like JTAC Ranch is a winner so far due to their facilities.
    I am a bit surprised by the membership cost of most of the ranges. Right now, in the Northeast (MA/NH), I belong to two clubs. I pay about $170 at one and $225 at another for an "all you can shoot" per year. The $170 has an indoor 24/7 pistol/rifle range up to 25 yards with up .50 caliber and even allows machine guns. They also have a benched 100 and 200 yard range.
    The 225 has "pistol/rifle" pits that allow for drawing from holster, shooting on the move and shooting at steel targets.
    Being caught between two "oceans" and a lake, plus the everglades, plus a never-ending influx of people means land is much more of a premium here than in most other states.

Look at the Dallas sprawl. They probably have as many, if not more, people moving there than we do but since they have unlimited land they have unlimited sprawl.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Turns out the job got filled immediately, my guess is they already had someone in mind. Next up, Auburn.

User Tag List