Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marking Metal Magazines

Sharpie pro tip

Another tip on silver sharpies.

I often put a small strip of clear packing tape over the sharpie mark and that keeps it good for a long, long time.

I have a group of 5 duty mags for my Glock 22 that I labeled about 15 years ago using nail polish - red. Still readable.

When I was much more of a 'gotta have a hundred mags loaded for TEOTWAWKI' guy I sent batches of 25 mags off to a laser engraving guy I found on M4Carbine.net to have them laser engraved with my logo and numbered in sequence. I got to 50 before I regained my senses.

Any trophy shop should be able to laser engrave (or regular engrave) a mag body if you want to be that fancy.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Wow. I feel like a caveman.

I use a battery powered label gun.

An example of how my magazines are labeled:

CZ magazines for Shadows, Shadow 2, and CZ 75 SP-01. A combination of CZ and Mecgar magazines . . . . . I have 27 of them. They are numbered 01thru 27 with a label directly from the label gun that is only as wide as the two numbers. Applied directly to the back bottom of the magazine body directly above the base pad. No extra adhesive or protective covering applied to the labels.

All magazines are regularly rotated in IDPA, steel, and USPSA matches (an average of 6 matches per month).

I typically replace one or two labels every year. Not per magazine. Two total. That's it.

Nail polish, mostly because of availability. It's rarely legible to anyone but me. Extremely durable.

Another fan of silver Sharpie markers here, but I use the oil paint version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00260TWBA/

I used a Black sharpie on metal mags. I used an engraver on the Glock mags. The last two digits of my ID number followed by the number. The magazines in my duty pistol and rifle were 201. The spares carried were 202, 203, etc.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A target paster makes a very sticky label on plastic or metal floor plate.
    This.

Or a light colored Sharpie/similar. What ever is available at the time.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

The genuine Brother labels (the ones rated for outdoor use) work well on polymer and metal baseplates for me. I back them up with oil paint marker on the tube sides as well. This provides a durable but changeable nomenclature to help differentiate between range and carry mags as well as ammunition (as in figuring out whether your black PMags are loaded with 77 grain OTM or 55 grain M193 at a glance).

I’ve never had one peel loose on either polymer or metal bases with Taylor bases, HK OEM polymer, SIG polymer, or Mec-gar polymer, if I do an alcohol wipe as prep.

I also use them on my SRO and MRO battery caps with a date code to memorialize the latest battery change.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The genuine Brother labels (the ones rated for outdoor use) work well on polymer and metal baseplates for me. I back them up with oil paint marker on the tube sides as well. This provides a durable but changeable nomenclature to help differentiate between range and carry mags as well as ammunition (as in figuring out whether your black PMags are loaded with 77 grain OTM or 55 grain M193 at a glance).

I’ve never had one peel loose on either polymer or metal bases with Taylor bases, HK OEM polymer, SIG polymer, or Mec-gar polymer, if I do an alcohol wipe as prep.

I also use them on my SRO and MRO battery caps with a date code to memorialize the latest battery change.
    Don't tell me- the other mag is marked Not 2B...
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Don't tell me- the other mag is marked Not 2B...
    Well, now, that IS the question…

User Tag List