Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping container Inflation! (700%)

I've always wondered:
    when they double wide like that, they're cutting 1 of the 4 walls out. Are containers structurally sound without the missing wall? Is the entire weight bearing capacity by some kind of skeleton?
    I feel like there needs to be a total nerd/geek video about shipping containers and their uses.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I feel like there needs to be a total nerd/geek video about shipping containers and their uses.
    I guarantee you could make the rest of your weekend go away rabbit holing that on YT due to the "tiny house" movement.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I reckon if you coated them with something to prevent rust, maybe sheathed them with a couple inches of foam, and then buried everything but the doors, they would use a lot less energy to keep warm or cool. Kinda like Rutan's energy-efficient house he built back in the '80s.
    They aren't safe to be buried; they're at risk of collapsing in on themselves. If you're looking at burying them, it's more economical and safe to use cylindrical structures; see underground shelter companies for reference.

There's some pretty cool pilot-program useage of cement culverts as stackable housing underneath overpasses over in Hong Kong, I think it was. Those have numerous advantages; no need to bury to regulate temperature, much more durable/long lasting, even easier to position/reposition than shipping containers, etc. I think they were looking at using it as a safer, more humane alternative to the cage-housing used by low-income persons in HK.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I guarantee you could make the rest of your weekend go away rabbit holing that on YT due to the "tiny house" movement.
    I can see the connection between rabbit hole, tiny house and living in a buried box culvert.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

those inflatable concrete structures look pretty sweet too.

thinking about what kind of semi-temporary or temporarily permanent structure(s) I could use.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    They aren't safe to be buried; they're at risk of collapsing in on themselves. If you're looking at burying them, it's more economical and safe to use cylindrical structures; see underground shelter companies for reference.

There's some pretty cool pilot-program useage of cement culverts as stackable housing underneath overpasses over in Hong Kong, I think it was. Those have numerous advantages; no need to bury to regulate temperature, much more durable/long lasting, even easier to position/reposition than shipping containers, etc. I think they were looking at using it as a safer, more humane alternative to the cage-housing used by low-income persons in HK.
    Hmmmm…..buried concrete culvert sleeved with plastic culvert for moisture control…..mechanically and thermally stable…..

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Hmmmm…..buried concrete culvert sleeved with plastic culvert for moisture control…..mechanically and thermally stable…..
    I like it when you talk dirty to me.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Somebody is doing okay amidst this brouhaha:

https://abcnews.go.com/International...m_medium=email

World’s biggest shipper Maersk reports 68% rise in revenue

COPENHAGEN -- The world’s biggest shipping company, Denmark’s A.P. Moeller-Maersk, reported Tuesday a sharp rise in earnings amid strong worldwide demand for shipments of goods as the economy bounces back from the coronavirus pandemic.

The Copenhagen-based company said revenue grew nearly 68% in the third quarter, to a record-high $16.6 billion, up from $9.9 billion in the same three-month period last year. It reported profits of $5.5 billion, up from $947 million in the same period last year.

“In the ongoing exceptional market situation, with high demand in the U.S. and global disruptions to the supply chains, we continued to increase capacity and expand our offerings to keep cargo moving for our customers,” CEO Soren Skou said.

The urgent need for more shipping capacity comes amid soaring consumer demand for everything from cars to furniture and labor shortages in the rebounding economy, leading to major backups at ports and higher prices. The supply chain issues have caused a shortage of key equipment: shipping containers.

In a statement, Maersk said its key ocean business is now “expected to grow below the global container demand" amid uncertainty around the supply chain logjams.

The company also announced its intention to acquire Senator International, a global freight forwarding company with strong air freight offerings. And to expand its own air network, Maersk is adding aircraft to its operations: three leased cargo planes to be operational from 2022 and two Boeing aircraft to be deployed by 2024.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Sometimes it’s simple things…
    ————-

…One possible solution: Let storage areas outside of the port stack up these containers higher. For instance, Petersen says, local zoning rules prevented the owner of truck yards in Long Beach from storing containers more than two high. Because of this, he had to keep empty containers stored on truck chassis. And because the truck chassis were holding empty containers, they couldn't be used to receive full containers from the ships.

Petersen's tweets reached the mayor of Long Beach, who temporarily allowed containers to be stacked up to four-high in certain areas.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/03/10517...-to-the-absurd

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I've always wondered:
    when they double wide like that, they're cutting 1 of the 4 walls out. Are containers structurally sound without the missing wall? Is the entire weight bearing capacity by some kind of skeleton?
    No they're not, but is a simple job to make them sound after removing sections.
    There are engineering companies that specialize in conex modification designs so it's pretty simple to get stamped drawings for whatever you want to do.
    The drawings we've used came out of Seismic Zones 4 (sometimes 3), so there's a considerable amount of "worst case overkill" designed in but it's basic/easy work to beef them up.
    Conexes are modified every day without stamped drawings as well.

I've seen some really nice things made from shipping containers.

User Tag List