Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping container Inflation! (700%)

Which is interesting, as the shipping companies are very, very adamant about getting their empty containers back before your 'free time' runs out. I got one email return reminder for a container that hadn't even cleared customs yet!

Every time I get a container, I have to pay for a container bond, and don't get that money back until I send them the EIR, and pay for any overage for extra days out.

And yes, a lot of the containers used for construction are past being able to be certified for international shipping. I can get non-shippable containers all day, but the certified ones are kind of scarce at the moment.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I was thinking the opposite. We have all these shipping containers here and nobody wants to take them back.

So if we have a lot more of something than there's demand for, the price should go down. So this would in theory be a fantastic time to acquire a handful of shipping containers, if you were interested in doing so, for whatever purpose you might have for them. But you'd need to find someone to load them on a truck and bring them to you, which could be difficult, because all the people who are willing and able to do that are probably getting paid a lot to move containers that are full of goods to be sold.

Or maybe it's a strategy to get a lot of steel into the U.S. without paying tariffs on it directly. Are they getting recycled at steel mills?
    That’s what was driving my assertion…I’ve been trying to get a couple and the prices are about 7X what I was expecting (just said that number because of the post title and to get my point across)!

But that may be because they are all being snapped up by the building of said communities. Also I would expect the container would have to be in pretty good shape to be used for construction. And I’ve seen them use some pretty rough stuff used for shipping….🤷

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-war-f...pos_2#cxrecs_s

Snippet:

Amazing as it may sound, the American worker shortage is getting even worse. For the second consecutive month, the number of small businesses reporting they could not find workers to fill open positions set a new record high. Given this historically tight labor market, it’s no surprise that the number of small firms raising compensation also hit a record high. That’s according to the latest monthly employment survey from the National Federation of Independent Business, due out later today.

“Fifty-one percent (seasonally adjusted) of all owners reported job openings they could not fill in the current period, up 1 point from August and a record high reading for the second consecutive month. The number of unfilled job openings far exceeds the 48-year historical average of 22 percent,” reports NFIB Chief Economist William Dunkelberg.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-war-f...pos_2#cxrecs_s

Snippet:

Amazing as it may sound, the American worker shortage is getting even worse. For the second consecutive month, the number of small businesses reporting they could not find workers to fill open positions set a new record high. Given this historically tight labor market, it’s no surprise that the number of small firms raising compensation also hit a record high. That’s according to the latest monthly employment survey from the National Federation of Independent Business, due out later today.

“Fifty-one percent (seasonally adjusted) of all owners reported job openings they could not fill in the current period, up 1 point from August and a record high reading for the second consecutive month. The number of unfilled job openings far exceeds the 48-year historical average of 22 percent,” reports NFIB Chief Economist William Dunkelberg.
    Not only that, but people who would have been gone a long time ago are now “good workers” because they anly call out once or twice every two to three weeks.

On the plus side, my guys who are always here and work hard are getting bonuses on the regular for having to put up with all the slacker bullshit, and the overall quality of our work hasn’t suffered too much.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

https://www.wsj.com/articles/septemb...21-11633641477

Snippet:

U.S. job growth fell to the slowest pace of the year in September, as the Delta variant and a persistent shortage of workers restrained the ability of companies to hire.

The economy created 194,000 jobs in September, the smallest gain since December 2020 and down from 366,000 jobs added in August, the Labor Department said Friday.

Many workers gave up a job search and exited the labor force last month. The smaller pool of labor meant that despite the slowdown in hiring, the unemployment rate fell to 4.8% last month from 5.2% in August.

“This was the time when a lot of people were expecting labor shortages to be getting better but in fact they’re getting worse,” said Michael Pearce, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics. “It’s a pretty worrying situation.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/septemb...21-11633641477

Snippet:

U.S. job growth fell to the slowest pace of the year in September, as the Delta variant and a persistent shortage of workers restrained the ability of companies to hire.

The economy created 194,000 jobs in September, the smallest gain since December 2020 and down from 366,000 jobs added in August, the Labor Department said Friday.

Many workers gave up a job search and exited the labor force last month. The smaller pool of labor meant that despite the slowdown in hiring, the unemployment rate fell to 4.8% last month from 5.2% in August.

“This was the time when a lot of people were expecting labor shortages to be getting better but in fact they’re getting worse,” said Michael Pearce, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics. “It’s a pretty worrying situation.”
    I have a feeling that a lot of people who have left the workforce will be back sooner rather than later. There is a lot of money flying around right now; that will slow down as rates rise and the liquidity disappears. When it does, more people will need to work and hard times will be upon us.

Supply chain issues including transportation:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supply-...713877?mod=mhp

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Which is interesting, as the shipping companies are very, very adamant about getting their empty containers back before your 'free time' runs out. I got one email return reminder for a container that hadn't even cleared customs yet!

Every time I get a container, I have to pay for a container bond, and don't get that money back until I send them the EIR, and pay for any overage for extra days out.

And yes, a lot of the containers used for construction are past being able to be certified for international shipping. I can get non-shippable containers all day, but the certified ones are kind of scarce at the moment.
    Do you get your container via a shipping company, or a container leasing company? Just curious, as I used to work for a container leasing company.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Do you get your container via a shipping company, or a container leasing company? Just curious, as I used to work for a container leasing company.
    They're usually provided by the shipper- either CMA/CMG or Maersk.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Kind of a small version of, "Let's all fix global warming" instead of controlling smaller environmental problems that actually can be addressed effectively.
    ¿Porque no los dos?

I’m not a tree hugger by any stretch but diesel sucks for short haul. Get the nukes fired back up and let’s spark it, baby.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List