Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping container Inflation! (700%)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I apologize if I drift the thread, but I believe this is true.

Attachment 77690
    Nothing like a stimulus check to enforce the fact that your federal gov't cares about your well being.

That money was yours before the fed took it and gave it back to you.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is only part of labor. The cost of the food sold in the grocery store is a large percentage, and if food producers are also increasing wages, that will drive up costs.

around Bozeman, McDonalds had increased starting wages from $12 to $18/hour and still can't fill their positions. Literally every business is looking for staff. The local hospital has 450 open positions. I have never seen such a challenging time to recruit and retain staff.
    Food costs are already going up. Everything is going up. I think its just getting started. I don't have a link to reference it, but today on the radio as I was driving around, they were talking about how most people spend more, in total, on various taxes, than they do on food in a year. That is a problem IMHO. Frankly, wages for the vast majority of Americans NEED to go up, or prices of things need to come down (maybe both). Housing for starters. My home has roughly doubled in "cost" since we bought it just 3-4 years ago. If I had to buy today, I don't know if we could afford it. Several hundred thousand in equity in such a short time seems great, until you look around and want to move, and realize everyone else is living in an inflated house too. Even prices in the boondocks are out of control.

My company had a opening for a SCADA/radio/IT/Programming type position, requiring a degree in a related field, and really preferring someone with several years experience in a WIDE variety of systems/languages... Sometimes office job, sometimes (most times probably) working in the field. Rotating on-call (365 days a year, we NEVER shut down), etc... Starting pay is listed as ~$22-23/hr. Median home price in our state is approaching $500,000 I think. Your average home here in the immediate area, not in the ghetto, is hovering around $400-450k. I don't know how people afford that with two incomes, let alone one at $22/hr. Starting at $18 at McDonalds looks better than a "professional" job... If you start thinking about what those degrees, student loans, and/or experience are going to cost you.

I'm not sure what to make of it all... but none of it bodes well.

Site Supporter
    I’ve been following some of the current housing market too, though I’m sure there are people more knowledgeable than me. One contributing factor is that investment firms are using their clout to buy fairly large number of homes in areas with growing economies.

This article is from Slate, but is fairly even handed and matches what I’ve seen from other sources.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.c...eal-estate.amp

not exactly accurate that investors are “buying every single-family house they can find,” as some have suggested. If that were true, their market share in the United States wouldn’t be a piddling 15 percent. They’re really buying up the stock of relatively inexpensive single-family homes built since the 1970s in growing metro areas. They mostly ignore bigger and more expensive houses, especially ones that are move-in ready: Wealthy boomers and the nation’s finance and tech bros nab those properties. And they’re also ignoring cities with stable or shrinking populations, like Providence and Pittsburgh.

But investors are depleting the inventory of the precise houses that might otherwise be obtainable for younger, working- and middle-class households, in the cities where those workers can easily find good-paying jobs, like Atlanta (22 percent of home purchases according to Redfin data), Charlotte (22 percent), and Phoenix (20 percent). More importantly, they’re able to scour those markets scientifically and systematically to make cash offers on the most attractively priced properties. While normal people buy houses when they actually need to move somewhere, (savvy) investors buy houses several years before a bunch of people need to move to an area. Whether they’re tracking where major employers are building new offices or looking at public school enrollment data, being ahead of the market gives big firms a big leg up.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Food costs are already going up. Everything is going up. I think its just getting started. I don't have a link to reference it, but today on the radio as I was driving around, they were talking about how most people spend more, in total, on various taxes, than they do on food in a year. That is a problem IMHO. Frankly, wages for the vast majority of Americans NEED to go up, or prices of things need to come down (maybe both). Housing for starters. My home has roughly doubled in "cost" since we bought it just 3-4 years ago. If I had to buy today, I don't know if we could afford it. Several hundred thousand in equity in such a short time seems great, until you look around and want to move, and realize everyone else is living in an inflated house too. Even prices in the boondocks are out of control.

My company had a opening for a SCADA/radio/IT/Programming type position, requiring a degree in a related field, and really preferring someone with several years experience in a WIDE variety of systems/languages... Sometimes office job, sometimes (most times probably) working in the field. Rotating on-call (365 days a year, we NEVER shut down), etc... Starting pay is listed as ~$22-23/hr. Median home price in our state is approaching $500,000 I think. Your average home here in the immediate area, not in the ghetto, is hovering around $400-450k. I don't know how people afford that with two incomes, let alone one at $22/hr. Starting at $18 at McDonalds looks better than a "professional" job... If you start thinking about what those degrees, student loans, and/or experience are going to cost you.

The cost of living will continue to skyrocket. Your income, even with a college degree, not so much. Been that way for a few years now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post

Your company is out of their collective minds.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's a dual-income couple, which is also something we've neglected to discuss thus far: the disappearance of viable single-income households compared to years past. The only people I know making it work (so from my social circle we're talking NOVA and the northeast US) aren't just living "thrifty" lives; they're basically poor.
    One of the causes for the growing disparity in household incomes is the increased number of women in high-paying professions. It used to be that (stereotypically) doctors and lawyers would marry lower-income women — because there were very few high-income women. Now high-income professionals marry other high-income professionals, which concentrates more income and wealth at the top. It’s not a nefarious plot, but it is a social change with real consequences.

Constant-dollar incomes haven’t changed much for the folks on the bottom.

Interesting point, @peterb. I never thought about that.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    One of the causes for the growing disparity in household incomes is the increased number of women in high-paying professions. It used to be that (stereotypically) doctors and lawyers would marry lower-income women — because there were very few high-income women. Now high-income professionals marry other high-income professionals, which concentrates more income and wealth at the top. It’s not a nefarious plot, but it is a social change with real consequences.

Yup, and while it does happen, it’s much rarer for women to marry down the social-economic ladder. So with women earning more college degrees than men the dating/marriage pool is decreased even further.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Your company is out of their collective minds.
    Tell me about it...

ETA: I don't know if anyone internal applied for that job, and I doubt they found much traction looking outside. We'll see I guess. When I say "my company" I should really say "the quasi-governmental agency" I work for. It isn't *mine*... and I guess its not exactly a *company* ... The benefits are decent. I'm sure if they found a good fit for the position that had the right "stuff" they'd probably find a way to raise the starting wage for that person, but I doubt we'd be talking double that rate.
    Last edited by WDR; 09-27-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

I wish my wife makes what I do.
    #RESIST

User Tag List