Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping container Inflation! (700%)

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    That was true while the $300/wk federal benefit was active. An extra $1200/mo on top of regular UI was a godsend to a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise be making that sort of money. That federal benefit expired weeks ago. It appears that the gravy train has ended and the unemployment numbers-- including U6-- are basically where they were in 2015. Not great, not terrible. Not particularly noteworthy in any real way.

I have yet to see any actual data supporting the notion that a chunk of the workforce has simply decided they'd rather be homeless once their UI benefits were exhausted. There's no explanation at all for where this shadow workforce has gone once the rent/grocery money ran out.

Almost 700k dead + at most 1-2 million on covid-related disability? There have been other threads where BLS data is showing a significant number of people have switched industries entirely. Without seeing the actual before and after numbers I don't know that I'd buy that's enough to have impacted the labor market to this degree. But at present it seems more plausible than people just saying "screw it". Because if that was an option they'd have done it a long time ago.

I'm open to data that supports your narrative, but I haven't seen it yet. It seems more likely that there are jobs that have an outsized effect on the downstream economy and that people would rather not do (like loading and unloading shipping containers) in lieu of some other job that either pays better or has a better working environment.
    With things like rent moratoriums and educational loan forgiveness becoming common I believe many people who did those low skill undesirable jobs have left the work force for college. Covid is here to stay and with that many of the wealthier blue states will be subsidizing rent for a very long time. This state has a yuge housing crisis which existed before covid.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri...h=11a98bfb6b91

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...d-4cae3beb1d9b
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Well, now I guess I understand why they're letting so many cross the border without proper documentation...someone has to be willing to work.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting. So 1.6% of the over 16 crowd works out to what, ~4 million people?

Even if everything went back to normal today the total dead and permanently disabled from covid would account for a chunk of that. Once you factor in early retirements, the possibly prolonged "dual income families become single income families while one parent turns their unemployment into full time child care", etc I don't think even conscripting all the people who just "don't want to work" is going to get the labor force participation numbers back to where they were pre-covid.

I doubt those numbers are going to look "normal" for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    With things like rent moratoriums and educational loan forgiveness becoming common I believe many people who did those low skill undesirable jobs have left the work force for college. Covid is here to stay and with that many of the wealthier blue states will be subsidizing rent for a very long time. This state has a yuge housing crisis which existed before covid.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri...h=11a98bfb6b91

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...d-4cae3beb1d9b
    I think the moratorium ends in TX on Oct 1. I guess we'll find out what the impact on labor force participation is soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, now I guess I understand why they're letting so many cross the border without proper documentation...someone has to be willing to work.
    I think the present administration is actually facilitating that now by turning thousands of crossers loose into the wild without processing or returning them to Mexico. It's apparent to me that is more desirable for this adm then detaining them in holding facilities for months. Of course they will never appear for a hearing because they may be deported.

It's the new shadow work force. As the wheels start to fall of in this economy because nobody is willing to work, the requirement for being in the country legally will suddenly become unimportant. I see another amnesty rapidly approaching.

Which is why it boggles me that we haven’t improved the system for LEGAL immigration for work — both temporary and permanent.

It’s hardly a secret that many domestic industries rely on migrant and immigrant labor, both legal and illegal. We’d be a lot better off if we were honest about it instead of complaining about it while pocketing the profits.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Which is why it boggles me that we haven’t improved the system for LEGAL immigration for work — both temporary and permanent.

It’s hardly a secret that many domestic industries rely on migrant and immigrant labor, both legal and illegal. We’d be a lot better off if we were honest about it instead of complaining about it while pocketing the profits.
    The farming industry does it. I know a guy who grows a whole lot of tobacco under contract to a major tobacco company. He has permanent housing on his farms for workers. He gets the same workers every year through some govt program.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

What good is a worker who doesnt speak the language is possibly illiterate has minimal math skills if any and doesnt understand basic concepts of personal hygeine. A buddy working in a Japanese company that has hired a lot of migrants from Africa. They had to put a security guard in the bathroom because these idiots were shitting on the floor and washing their junk in the sink on breaks. And their families were hanging out in the breakroom and using the bathrooms for washing. One got caught punching in ten people at a time who werent on the premises at all. They also had to hire a Swahili and French translator because they dont speak English. Apparently they are also terrible workers.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I'm not going to venture into the political realm in reply to the responses to my earlier post, but I will say that compared to many of the indigenous locals hereabouts, I'd much prefer to have a Mexican, Haitian or any of various Central and South American workers performing work on my behalf.

I'm sure there was a time when others thought my forebearers just crept out of a hole somewhere and didn't meet the high standards of the local gentry.

I'm not happy about the border situation by any means, and believe we need to control it, (without regard to politics or party), but I don't equate that with any inability on the part of immigrants.

Somebody has to be willing to work. And people can be trained to do it.

ETA:

IMHO, if an individual is able bodied and can work, but refuses to...the money spigot must be turned off. We don't need to reward or promote the "slacker" lifestyle.
    Last edited by blues; 09-26-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Personally, I think alot of the shortage has to do with income. It's often hard for those on this board to remember what the US median household income is, and how many live below it. We're talking about $62K as a household. Realistically, the people causing this shortage are in the arena and are struggling to get ahead.

My state moved to increase minimum wage until it eventually settles at $15 in a few years. I voted against it, but it didn't help. I think wages are one way to improve American's lives but moral leadership is better. When I go to work (I'm out with covid at the moment) I'm making X amount over minimum. Soon, that will be less. My employer is expecting more work from me because of labor issues and people out sick. They want me to work even harder - while doing nothing to compensate. Surrounding employers (municipality) pay better and offer opportunity to advance. Our municipality like many private employers isn't doing much to incentivize work. People need to work hard to earn money. Granted. But for a long time the ball has belonged to the employer and they've made the demands. I think that they maybe don't grasp that treating your workers like a resource and not people is coming to roost. With big chains offering more and more for less skilled labor it makes it easy to walk away from bad employers. A lot of this is in my bias opinion based on companies who have selected dickheads without any personal skills to serve in leadership roles. You can't offer little time off, laughable over priced insurance, poor attitudes to workers, and demand tons of work. There needs to be more on the scale for the employee to stay instead of jumping to a fortune 500 who will give them what they're looking for. It's just that simple. The jobs taking the hits right now are the ones that either A) cant afford to keep up or B) need to clear house with their leadership.

The result is skilled labor looking to take easier jobs that will make them the same, or in many cases better pay.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What good is a worker who doesnt speak the language is possibly illiterate has minimal math skills if any and doesnt understand basic concepts of personal hygeine. A buddy working in a Japanese company that has hired a lot of migrants from Africa. They had to put a security guard in the bathroom because these idiots were shitting on the floor and washing their junk in the sink on breaks. And their families were hanging out in the breakroom and using the bathrooms for washing. One got caught punching in ten people at a time who werent on the premises at all. They also had to hire a Swahili and French translator because they dont speak English. Apparently they are also terrible workers.
    Farmers here in this state use a lot of legal and illegal workers in the fields. Some of them speak English but they usually have lead workers who are bilingual anyway. I'm not sure what their math skills are or if they read and write. Doesn't matter to an orchard owner who's trying to harvest his apples.

If you want literate workers with good math skills who speak English, that would be your average 18 year old who just graduated HS. They don't want those jobs. Most of them have never had a paying job a day in their lives.

Being able to speak English isn't that important. I was in a McDonalds about a year ago and everyone behind the counter was speaking Spanish. The woman who took my order was having difficulty understanding that I only wanted one breakfast burrito. She kept asking me if I wanted two and I kept telling her only one. I could have told her in Spanish but I wasn't in a real good mood that morning. She gave me two, I paid, thanked her in Spanish and left. She probably thought I was a real jerk.

But I'm veering off into politics so hasta la vista.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-26-2021 at 12:56 PM.

User Tag List