Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping container Inflation! (700%)

Site Supporter
    Don’t forget the new federal requirement for ELDs for truck drivers. These new electronic devices really stopped truck drivers being able to fudge their logs. The ELDs also made many older drivers retire.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    WSJ today:

Demand for consumer products has been unusually strong since countries began to reopen their economies. This has put pressure on global transport routes and increased the cost of logistics. In the first quarter of 2020, a company could ship goods by sea for $1,600 per 40-foot equivalent unit, or roughly one large shipping container. By September 2021, the bill had climbed to $10,200, Bernstein analysis shows.

Air and road travel is also pricier, as there are fewer jets in the skies and transport firms are struggling to hire drivers. Europe is short of approximately 400,000 truckers, according to Transport Intelligence estimates. A similar shortage in the U.S. pushed spot rates for dry trucks up 13% on the year by the third quarter.
    Name:  inflation is coming.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  48.1 KB

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Appears to have disappeared.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Try this: https://twitter.com/typesfast/status...43776992845834
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Works now, thanks.

That's the best coverage of this fiasco that I've seen.

Summation.

Leadership is the missing ingredient at this point.

Looks like the trucking companies don't want to go into the container storage business. If the price of taking a container out of the port is to store an empty container on their property (even if they can do that) they'll have to substantially increase their prices to haul containers.

I don't know anything about trucking companies but 10 years ago I saw companies ditching their container trailers along I-5 on private property until they could get another call to pick up some containers at the port of Seattle. The drop off point was about half way between Seattle and Vancouver BC. The site was hidden behind Alderwood mall and unused by any of the businesses there. Just about any day you could find 4 or 5 trailers in there. I had to call a trucking company one time to get them to move a loaded trailer they left in the county ROW so I could do some work there.

Fire Sale!

Fire breaks out on cargo ship off Canada's coast, expelling toxic gas

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/f...coast-rcna3670

Site Supporter
    Name:  43586297-67DB-406D-9679-1683154804E8.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  24.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Interesting read.

What isn't clear to me is; why are there so many empty containers out there now? What's different compared to 2018?

I was always under the impression that as soon as a container is emptied, someone else is ready to fill it back up.

User Tag List