Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 LR rundown

.22 LR rundown

I have a semi-sudden itch/requirement for a .22, and I've never been into these things before so I don't know what's what.

I really like these sorts, with threaded barrels for suppressors.

https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...al/models.html
    https://www.browning.com/products/fi...sor-ready.html

I've heard iffy things about the Glock 44, although if it wasn't for the iffy feedback I think it would be my automatic choice.

Anyone got any useful feedback for me? I'm not very emotionally involved in the .22 game so I would honestly just like to be told what to buy by my betters. As stated before, suppressor-ready is a big plus.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I like Buck Marks. Do a search, Buck Mark vs. Ruger Mark x has been discussed many times.

If you do go Buck Mark, you can get a Tactical Solutions aluminum threaded barrel for ~$170 shipped online if you're good at online shopping. Might be cheaper to just find the cheapest used Buck Mark you can and throw one of those on it, than to get a "bells and whistles" gun from the factory, especially in this market.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Is your use Steel Challenge, dedicated .22 or sub caliber trainer?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is your use Steel Challenge, dedicated .22 or sub caliber trainer?
    I would just like to train cheaply and have a cool gun at the same time, which is why I like the suppressor capability. Sub-caliber trainer is the real use case, i guess, which is why i also mentioned the G44.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The easy button is a MKIV or a Buckmark and it’s almost Ford vs Chevy now.

The Ruger has greater aftermarket support but the receiver tube is the sn part. If you want to swap uppers, the replacement is an FFL item. Volquartsen has factory uppers listed on clearance for $100 or less on a regular basis.

The frame is the sn part on the Browning so replacement uppers are a direct to you item but the aftermarket isn’t as large. At least it wasn’t several years ago when I made the switch from Browning to Ruger.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve put tens of thousands of rounds through Ruger MkIII and would have no problem recommending them.

That said, the Beretta 22LR conversion kit mounted to a 92FS frame (NOT the M9-22 gun - although people here are reporting it to be a good shooter as well) has quickly become my favorite .22LR pistol option hands down. It’s been every bit as reliable and accurate as my Rugers, carries the same as my full caliber Berettas, is lighter than the Ruger, has full sized and modern controls, and at the end of the day can be switched back to 9mm. As for suppressor readiness, Beretta sells a threaded barrel for it (you might actually be able to buy it with the threaded barrel).

Stay way from the Sig Mosquito or it’s Firefly descendant. They just aren’t very reliable and I don’t like their reduced size controls.

For a sub-caliber trainer, unless the focus is single-action trigger control, both the Ruger Mark IV and Browning Buckmark should not be the choice. Both models offer a single-action only trigger, which is nothing like a Glock striker-fired action or DA/SA pistol. The DA/SA Ruger SR22 at https://ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html might be a better choice, but I am not aware of any factory-offered threaded barrel options. Ruger does offer a threaded barrel kit from shopRuger.com at https://shopruger.com/Ruger-SR22-Thr...uctinfo/90520/ which would allow the addition of a threaded barrel. I have no personal experience with the SR22, but shooting buddies are pleased with their examples.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I have a semi-sudden itch/requirement for a .22, and I've never been into these things before so I don't know what's what.

I really like these sorts, with threaded barrels for suppressors.

https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...al/models.html
    https://www.browning.com/products/fi...sor-ready.html

I've heard iffy things about the Glock 44, although if it wasn't for the iffy feedback I think it would be my automatic choice.

Anyone got any useful feedback for me? I'm not very emotionally involved in the .22 game so I would honestly just like to be told what to buy by my betters. As stated before, suppressor-ready is a big plus.

I have two short listed items in way of 22 pistols. A Volquartsen and the new FN 502. The latter comes with 15 round mags and it's optic cut and suppressor ready. I will get one once the new wears off and they are on the shelf more. The Volquartsen is a much more expensive pistol so that one I am saving up for to purchase at some future date.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Stay way from the Sig Mosquito or it’s Firefly descendant. They just aren’t very reliable and I don’t like their reduced size controls.
    I bought a firefly several years ago. I modified the mags and did some polishing and other work so now mine works great. That said I also think there are better options out there.

I am going to get a FN 502 for one.

User Tag List