Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some questions about 1911s

I will echo what DocGKR said.

I exclusively carry 1911's and choose to because of the fact that I am left handed and can operate the 1911 with ease. I also like the conceivability of the single stack.

That being said it is a platform that requires you to be on top of it. The springs need to be changed more often then in modern designed pistols, a mismatch in tolerance will cause all sorts of heart ache, and one that is built wrong will just never work right without the help of a master smith. It does require you to pay attention to wear and maintenance much more than a modern tupperwear gun.

I would suggest if you still decide to buy one from Brown spend a little extra and have the common parts that break and wear fitted and tuned. (extractor, maybe extra bushing, recoil plug, etc.) If you do not want to do that a Springfield will allow you to get replacements with less "fitting" required on the semi-customs. I would stay away from the Schwarts too, just personal preference.

From your post you sound well read on the matter and will be able adapt to the nuances well. But if parts and smiths are hard to come by it might be something you take into your decision.

I've shot Springfields for years, never had a hiccup. They are easy to maintain, easy to shoot. I don't have a G17 anymore but will never be without a 1911. I have never understood how the 1911 got a rep for so much bad mojo. Watch the frame for wear and get the book by Kuhnhausen to know what to look for. I like Wilson 47D mags but have heard great things about the Tripps. 45s are lower pressure rounds than 9mm so that helps with the life issue. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by benji40 View Post
    I have never understood how the 1911 got a rep for so much bad mojo.
    Because they *are* an enthusiast's gun. Many of the replacement parts are not as 'drop in' as claimed but require some extent of hand fitting - extractors and firing pin stops come to mind.

That's not to claim that *only* a smith can do it, but it *does* require more dedication, knowledge and skill on the part of the user to be able to do so.
    Mike

I could ask all those who like the 1911 design why don’t you just get yourself a CZ-75/85??? It’s a lighter weight pistol (in compartment with a steel frame 1911), has also excellent ergonomics, the similar controls, it’s just a little smaller, holds twice as many rounds, and is probably at least as reliable as the 1911 if not more, and if anything breaks just replace the broken part without any fitting needed???
    GLOCK 17 - My choice for defensive handgun

The CZ doesn't shoot like a 1911. The way a properly set up 1911 shoots is IMHO why people put up with the issues it presents.

The CZ doesn't offer that shootability while not being as reliable or durable as a modern polymer pistol.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The CZ doesn't shoot like a 1911. The way a properly set up 1911 shoots is IMHO why people put up with the issues it presents.

The CZ doesn't offer that shootability while not being as reliable or durable as a modern polymer pistol.
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/3218

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Yes, but how does that differ from this:
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/4384
    GLOCK 17 - My choice for defensive handgun

Totally correct post. Especially this part.

"Yes, you can get a 1911 that runs and you can keep it running. The operative word is “you.” There is a lot more you need to do when choosing the gun, running the gun, and maintaining the gun than if you bought a (Beretta Glock HK SIG S&W). That doesn’t make the 1911 a bad gun. But it does make it a hobbyist’s gun."

User Tag List