Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keyholing with Gallant bullets

Site Supporter
    If you’re sure they are keyholing whereas the same bullets were not, take a picture and send them back to Gallant. They have been great to deal with customer service wise. I’ve exclusively been shooting Gallant for a couple of years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    Have you shot them out of this gun before? It wouldn't be the first time I heard of a Beretta needing a slightly larger bullet (.357 or .358) to obtain better accuracy and prevent leading.
    As I mentioned in post #6 above, I’ve shot probably 10,000 of these .356 Gallant bullets through this gun. No keyholes until this lot.
    Tried .357 and groups were larger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    If you’re sure they are keyholing whereas the same bullets were not, take a picture and send them back to Gallant. They have been great to deal with customer service wise. I’ve exclusively been shooting Gallant for a couple of years.
    Thanks- before I reached out to Gallant, I wanted to make sure there wasn’t some other variable that I hadn’t accounted for.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    What kind of target? A limp paper target can tear in a way that looks like a key holing bullet.

But things can go awry without obvious cause. I had some plated bullets to keyhole, a local guy got them in wholesale from a maker in Florida. They looked the same profile and miked the same diameter as the Xtremes I had been loading but they did not shoot the same.
    After oblong tears in relatively flimsy targets, I put 10 rds into a B-8 on thick paper. I took pics, and will try to post them in the next 2 days.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’m sure you have thought about this already but are these the the loads you are shooting when you are having stove pipe issues?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’m sure you have thought about this already but are these the the loads you are shooting when you are having stove pipe issues?
    Kinda-sorta. The stovepipe has happened with factory Federal 150 gr Syntech and my 147 gr reloads that were loaded over the last 6 months, but fired in matches in the last 3 months or so.
    The keyholing (in about 20% of the rounds fired) showed up in my first batch of 100 rds reloaded with the latest lot of Gallant bullets that arrived last month. Same load recipe (charge, primer, COAL, and bullet type and weight) in both instances - the only variable was the new lot of bullets. I have not noticed keyholing prior to that lot of bullets.

Site Supporter

Photos

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    After oblong tears in relatively flimsy targets, I put 10 rds into a B-8 on thick paper. I took pics, and will try to post them in the next 2 days.
    Replying own post to show some photos.

Here’s a string of 5 intentionally spread out to avoid “doubles”
    Note the 2 obvious keyholes.
    Name:  B05B8F50-8427-40F8-9B76-509536491A6E.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  20.9 KB

Close-up of the top left keyhole, as originally seen, and then held closed from behind to see the marks from the bullet coating.
    Name:  C12666D6-E369-4D68-B98C-B8695C8B686C.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  397B5617-3C4F-4DEB-A15B-9821358F7F57.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  19.7 KB

Same sequence for the bottom keyhole.
    Name:  C9B8CA00-BBEE-4066-B882-C5826E34161C.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  52FC576C-FFF8-4CA2-9AE2-2781C3F8DAB8.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  20.2 KB

And finally, a close-up of one of the 3 “normal” holes from a bullet that wasn’t tumbling.
    Name:  4EFBEBC6-B001-46C1-AD81-5EEB78AA54E6.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  23.7 KB

I wonder if there is a difference in hardness. As in coming apart in flight.
    ETA I think I would weigh some projectiles in the known good batch and compare deviations against projectiles in the problem batch.
    I can check the hardness if you think its worthwhile.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-26-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I seriously doubt they are coming apart in flight at 900 fps. You might check the hardness though. If they got a soft batch of metal it may not be gripping the rifling enough to stabilize. Gripping the rifling seems to be the issue whatever the cause since your gun has shot heavies in the past. Is your barrel leaded? When I've seen keyholing or maybe just on the verge of keyholing the accuracy sucked. How do they group? My bet is worse than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I seriously doubt they are coming apart in flight at 900 fps. You might check the hardness though. If they got a soft batch of metal it may not be gripping the rifling enough to stabilize. Gripping the rifling seems to be the issue whatever the cause since your gun has shot heavies in the past. Is your barrel leaded? When I've seen keyholing or maybe just on the verge of keyholing the accuracy sucked. How do they group? My bet is worse than before.
    Sorry Im the worst at expressing in words. Not as in coming apart as in pieces but maybe delaminating would be a better description. Im not that familiar with keyholing I know Ive seen it but not more than a very few times. Those holes just look odd to my untrained eye. Whatever it is I hope we find out, if there is an explanation.
    The first two pics after the group pic in particular look odd.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List