Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Stovepipe malfunctions

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Except that this hammer was installed 1000 rds ago.
    Well, hell, put the old hammer back in! It was perfect with that one!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Double tap.

Site Supporter
    The thought has occurred to me…. But now it’s in the other 92 that my son is using for IDPA. It was part of a Langdon trigger job on my LTT Elite, and I transplanted most of the parts (excluding trigger and sear) into his gun in May. And when we left Nationals on Thursday, he was winning his division and class (the other half of the shooters finish today). So I’d prefer to solve my gun’s issue (and keep the sweet reset/take-up of this new hammer) and keep his gun in its current, upgraded condition.

The thought has occurred to me…. But now it’s in the other 92 that my son is using for IDPA. And when we left Nationals on Thursday, he was winning his division and class (the other half of the shooters finish today). So I’d prefer to solve my gun’s issue (and keep the sweet reset/take-up of this new hammer) and keep his gun in its current, upgraded condition.
    I was a trapshooter in my youth and trap guns have all sorts of adjustments. I called them "sex guns" because after a bad day the owner would take it home and fuck with it. Ever shoot any trap?😁

I called them "sex guns" because after a bad day the owner would take it home and fuck with it. Ever shoot any trap?😁
    HA!! Thank you for that phrase, I'll have to use it myself.

The sweet take-up/reset of the new hammer may be offset by the sour FTEs. How about trying a NP3 Langdon hammer?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Re: extractor: yes, I already have a new extractor, extractor spring, and pin in my cart at MGW. I’m going to have to YouTube how to get the pin out. What’s the best tool for staking after the pin is back in?
    I use a fine edged screwdriver. When you punch out the exctractor pin it will kind of push away the staked metal. After you replace the pin, a couple taps with a screwdriver will push that metal back in place well enough to retain the pin.

Name:  AF076F30-5A29-4938-B251-3BBF5E27D79F.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  87.1 KB

As for the hammer dragging on the slide - it’s possible I suppose. Do you lube the section of the slide that makes contact with the hammer?

Site Supporter
    Yes, I generally put a little lube on that part of the slide, but I’ve not noticed it to be all that critical in the past.

That looks like a handy reference to have as I get into doing more-involved maintenance on my 92s.
    Do you recommend the Army TM after using it? Or know of options that would be even better?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I use a fine edged screwdriver. When you punch out the exctractor pin it will kind of push away the staked metal. After you replace the pin, a couple taps with a screwdriver will push that metal back in place well enough to retain the pin.

Name:  AF076F30-5A29-4938-B251-3BBF5E27D79F.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  87.1 KB

As for the hammer dragging on the slide - it’s possible I suppose. Do you lube the section of the slide that makes contact with the hammer?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Yes, I generally put a little lube on that part of the slide, but I’ve not noticed it to be all that critical in the past.

That looks like a handy reference to have as I get into doing more-involved maintenance on my 92s.
    Do you recommend the Army TM after using it? Or know of options that would be even better?
    It’s pretty useful, especially before Algore invented the internet. That said, I use YouTube videos fairly regularly as well.

Here is a slightly older version of the TM on digits. TM 9-1005-317-23&P

Sorry, been away shooting a bunch...
    It is almost pointless to focus on "why" this is happening and just accept that once a gun gets to the 15K mark, the gremlins start setting in.
    Replacing all the "expendables" - locking blocks, springs, extractors, magazines, firing pins - usually helps resolve the issues.
    (If you're putting ~10K through a gun in a year, just switch these items before you take the off season...)

Making sure that your ammunition is clean, loaded consistent - if you're getting inconsistent loads that could have a big effect.
    Make sure the gun is clean - don't skimp: take down the entire top end too!
    Clean, replace, reassemble, relube.
    I'd use some new magazines and test the whole enchilada.
    If you can make it through 200 rds without a hiccup, consider it debugged.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I hate having to stake by deforming the metal in one of the core, basic pieces of the gun. Stake a receiver end plate on an AR. GI-spec castle nut and end plate are dirt cheap, you can easily throw new ones on when you take stuff apart. Staking, unstaking, restaking, and unstaking again, over and over, of the slide itself, in order to accomplish what is going to be a periodic service many times over the life of the gun, just bugs the heck out of me.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List