Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: What I bet my life on...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    Thank you one and all for your civility.

I traded my RIA 1911 in for an M&P 2.0 Compact w MS.

Keeping the mighty Maverick stoked with Aguila mini shells though...
    Why do you think we care?

Edit to add: Did I miss something that makes this of interest?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

https://youtu.be/y-E7_VHLvkE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most fun car I've ever driven was an original RHD BMC Mini- but a late 70's Honda Civic was a very, very close second.
    And it had a working AC, which needed to be turned off on the interstate if you wanted to get to 65mph.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The car I have had the most fun in my life owning was the "Shit Brown Honda O'Doom". Given to me by an ex-girlfriends dad after the A/C went out in it.

Oh what fun it was to ride in the shit brown Honda O'Doom.

The SBHOD was a '91/92 (I honestly have forgotten which at this point) Honda Accord sedan with a 5-speed manual.

Sometimes I see a clean Accord of the same vintage and almost want to buy it. Mine had just short of 200k miles, with very little regular maintenance done to it. It drank oil or pissed it out at a rate that oil changes were never needed. I popped a head gasket racing it like 21-year old boys tend to do.

I still miss that car.
    I feel the same way about my '86 Accord, also a five-speed manual.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    Thank you one and all for your civility.

I traded my RIA 1911 in for an M&P 2.0 Compact w MS.

Keeping the mighty Maverick stoked with Aguila mini shells though...
    My brother's M&P 2.0 compact w/ TS has done well for him. He carries it in a JMCK IWB strong side. Doesn't shoot it a ton, but he does shoot it and does carry when he isn't at work. I really think it's been a set it and forget option for him.

Since were all on tangets...

As far as other stuff we bet our lives on... anyone have a good alarm clock? I want to get my cell phone off my nightstand but no alarm clock seems to offer the utility of a regular alarm app. I perfer a specific .mp3 of birds to wake up. Just works for me. Seems like specific .mp3s in non-IOT-smart house alarm clocks is tough to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    My brother's M&P 2.0 compact w/ TS has done well for him. He carries it in a JMCK IWB strong side. Doesn't shoot it a ton, but he does shoot it and does carry when he isn't at work. I really think it's been a set it and forget option for him.

Since were all on tangets...

As far as other stuff we bet our lives on... anyone have a good alarm clock? I want to get my cell phone off my nightstand but no alarm clock seems to offer the utility of a regular alarm app. I perfer a specific .mp3 of birds to wake up. Just works for me. Seems like specific .mp3s in non-IOT-smart house alarm clocks is tough to find.
    I don’t know if you’re an Apple user, but could you use an old iPod touch just for that purpose, assuming you have one lying around or can find one cheap? Or do you have an old phone you could do the same with?

May still be a dumb solution, I’m just thinking it’d be easier than fiddling with some non-phone thing trying to use the mp3s, having multiple alarms, etc. I would also miss the functionality of my alarm app.

Oh, and I bet my life on other drivers on my commute not being stupid or reckless, and on clients/opposing parties/other involved persons not being motivated enough to actually consider murder. No, neither one of those gives me warm fuzzies, thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I don’t know if you’re an Apple user, but could you use an old iPod touch just for that purpose, assuming you have one lying around or can find one cheap? Or do you have an old phone you could do the same with?

May still be a dumb solution, I’m just thinking it’d be easier than fiddling with some non-phone thing trying to use the mp3s, having multiple alarms, etc. I would also miss the functionality of my alarm app.

Oh, and I bet my life on other drivers on my commute not being stupid or reckless, and on clients/opposing parties/other involved persons not being motivated enough to actually consider murder. No, neither one of those gives me warm fuzzies, thanks for asking.
    I use android, straight talk cheapo phones. I'm a simple dude, they work for me.

I could use an old phone, but was trying to pretty much move all electronics out of my room. Cause scary microwaves rot your brain, but more so that I don't use the damn thing as much. Something not connected would be nice. But I'm spoiled with how simple the app works and it's functionality

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I use android, straight talk cheapo phones. I'm a simple dude, they work for me.

I could use an old phone, but was trying to pretty much move all electronics out of my room. Cause scary microwaves rot your brain, but more so that I don't use the damn thing as much. Something not connected would be nice. But I'm spoiled with how simple the app works and it's functionality
    A phone for emergencies where you can grab it without leaving the bed is a pretty important part of the safety plan for me, and I don’t have kids or a wife. Imagine waking up to a smoke filled bedroom and the smoke detector going off, or possibly hearing an intruder. I can go on and on, but I want back up rolling as soon as I can in a lot of situations I could imagine. Do ya’ll have a land line?

ETA: I buy relatively cheap alarms made for hard of hearing folks with a small speaker for just the alarm that make you think your u-boat is sinking every morning, but I can understand how that wouldn’t work for some people.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Geez....this is a tough thread for the OP. Do we know anything about his situation?

My dad is 82 years old, and his only handguns are a Ruger Mark II Bull Barrel and a S&W 686P. His primary shotgun is a Beretta over/under 12 gauge through which he fired at least 50,000 rounds on the trap range.

A while back, when his arthritis got worse I switched out the 357 rounds in his revolver to Federal HST 38 Specials. I changed out the two 00 buck rounds I gave him years ago with two Aguila Mini Shells. I'm certain his muscle memory will be fine if he ever needs to chamber and fire them.

I think these are all very appropriate choices for his circumstances. I imagine the OP is well set for his circumstances, as well.

Also, despite being an avid shooter in his younger years, my dad wouldn't understand much of anything we talk about on this site. He's practical, not tactical. And that's okay.

Why, as a forum, do we need to shit all over old guys?

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Why, as a forum, do we need to shit all over old guys?
    We don't, plenty of old guys are frequent participants, in this thread included. It's the holier than thou "all the stuff you dorks nerd out about is malarkey" sentiment that chafed people.

It's sort of like coming to Quentin Tarantino Q&A, raising your hand and getting called on only to say, "Yeah, no offense, but I don't really give a shit about movies."
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List