Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What I bet my life on...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It’s called “being cheap because I prefer to spend money on guns.”

I have no love for cars.
    How many miles? I got to 265k miles on our 2001 Corolla before an unfortunate patch of black ice and a curve with pine trees killed it. That is the best I have done so far.

Timing belt or chain on the Accord?

By the way I trust my life to a 2020 RAV4 and blind luck every day.

My road to work is the only road I have ever watched someone die on, not once but twice. Dry, 4 lane road with a mile plus visibility both times. 😖

I have no love for cars.
    Sounds like a sound plan to me!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

(Reminded me of this classic from many years ago. The thread title was, "Am I being careful enough?")

hello friends,

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18″ bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Edster; 09-24-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Not that you should care.

I was issued the M15, M1911A1, M9, and M11.

Since I retired I've owned similar pistols and Glocks.

These days I bet my life on a Ruger GP100, a RIA 1911, and a P365XL (w safety).

The Ruger was good enough for the USMS, and I like it a lot.

The RIA 1911 (in 9 minimeter!) works better than the M1911A1s I was issued; those were good enough for government work.

Since I handled the P365XL I have not really wanted to carry anything else; I shoot it well enough. No problems so far.

Oh, and a Maverick 12g pump, loaded with Aguila mini shot shells.

I'm happy with, and trust, all of the above. Even after all I read here about this and that. I suppose I am a master of cognitive dissonance. There's no hope for some of us?

This is not a dig, and I am not trolling, but this place and You Tube could make you crazy...
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ...what the fuck is the point of the OP?
    IDK, but then, dayum what is the point of half the stuff posted in the GD area?

It's the internet is the best answer I can give you. LOL
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I have no love for cars.
    That is a sensible answer, one of the ladies I work with has a turn of the century accord with 400K+ plus miles and another has 300K+ and they are spending what they are saving on something. But their next car will be an Accord, no discussion.

I just find it curious that the Camry or some other vehicle capable of a long service life does not have this devoted cult following among professional women in my AO.
    Last edited by fatdog; 09-25-2021 at 01:27 AM.

dupe, sorry, the site is acting up tonight...
    Last edited by fatdog; 09-25-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOrick View Post
    Not that you should care.

This is not a dig, and I am not trolling, but this place and You Tube could make you crazy...
    Not that you should care, but...

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I have no love for cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    How many miles? I got to 265k miles on our 2001 Corolla before an unfortunate patch of black ice and a curve with pine trees killed it. That is the best I have done so far.
    My car: Seat Ibiza, 249k kilometers (155k miles), built in 2009, 1.4 l, 85 hp.

I like it. Only problem, it became incontinent sometimes (defect water pump and water lines). But that seems to be fixed. It still consumes nearly no oil (less than 1 l in 10k miles). Power measured by top speed still full there (180 km/h = 112 mph).

Does anybody know Seat here? It belongs to the VW group, made in Spain, shares many parts with the VW Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

I have no idea what this thread is about, so here’s a gratuitous picture of my Staccato P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now you're just showing off!😁

User Tag List