Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What I bet my life on...

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    But I hope, you also rented a sports car here and enjoyed it on the autobahn. Did you? I have a sports motorbike (160 mph) and did so a few times and many times on racetracks.

I like freedom very much. Our gun rights here are not sufficient for my taste, but autobahn is still the road of the free.

This is how simple it looks when government here says, "we leave you alone":

Still my favorite traffic sign (means: "no speed limit").
    This thread has taken a turn for the better. In my younger days, I wanted the Seat performance models to be sold in the states. I settled on a fiat 500 abarth to scratch that small,fun car itch almost 20 years later. It averages 32 mpg and I don’t take it easy on the throttle.

On my last trip to Germany I got a chance to spend some time on the autobahn and in the Black Forest in this...

Name:  48334F69-7626-4D1D-9967-E60C497A920E.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  102.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That, to my mind, is the wrong way of thinking about it. It's not "what's this car worth," it's "what's it going to cost me to replace it?"

Drop $2K into keeping a good car running vs. $25K or better for a new one, minus the few grand they'll give me for a trade-in.... I'm taking it to the repair shop.
    That is my attitude toward my high mileage cars / trucks that I have had since new. If they can be fixed to stay safe and reliable I would prefer to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Awesome thread!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

That, to my mind, is the wrong way of thinking about it. It's not "what's this car worth," it's "what's it going to cost me to replace it?"

Drop $2K into keeping a good car running vs. $25K or better for a new one, minus the few grand they'll give me for a trade-in.... I'm taking it to the repair shop.
    Car dealerships won't trade unless it's a newer model with less than 100K. At least that's been my experience. If you want a high mileage car that's 10 years old you'll have to go on Craigslist or Auto Trader to find it. Or just drive around on the back roads. I see them all the time in front of someone's house with a for sale sign. There's a rural grocery store not far from our house that always has 4 or 5 vehicles for sale in the parking lot. A friend of mine parked a big JD riding mower in front of her house and a $500 for sale sign. It was sold in 3 days.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    a high mileage car that's 10 years old you'll have to go on Craigslist or Auto Trader to find it. Or just drive around on the back roads.
    Yes. I sold my 230K miles 2004 Expedition about a month ago, simple Craigslist post and then parked it on our local FSBO lot (I live a very rural area) across from the country store. Sold in 24 hours for my asking price which was well above KBB. Of course the used car market is smokin hot now.

https://youtu.be/wKldAgWMibU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    A 2005 Honda Accord. I bet, every day, that it's in good shape due to my paying attention to routine maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Now here we go, what is it with highly intelligent females, who have to prove the point they can make a Honda Accord last 1 million miles or 1 thousand years, which ever comes first....I work with 3 of them that I know of....I don't get the underlying dynamics that make this particular pattern happen.
    It’s called “being cheap because I prefer to spend money on guns.”

I have no love for cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    How many miles? I got to 265k miles on our 2001 Corolla before an unfortunate patch of black ice and a curve with pine trees killed it. That is the best I have done so far.

Timing belt or chain on the Accord?

By the way I trust my life to a 2020 RAV4 and blind luck every day.

My road to work is the only road I have ever watched someone die on, not once but twice. Dry, 4 lane road with a mile plus visibility both times. 😖
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    That is a sensible answer, one of the ladies I work with has a turn of the century accord with 400K+ plus miles and another has 300K+ and they are spending what they are saving on something. But their next car will be an Accord, no discussion.

I just find it curious that the Camry or some other vehicle capable of a long service life does not have this devoted cult following among professional women in my AO.
    165K, timing chain. Retiring + pandemic really cut down on the amount of miles that I drive. I do make a point of taking it onto the highway and driving 30 miles or so every few weeks.
    I know a guy that bought a 5th generation Accord new, drove it for about 200K and parked it because the heater stopped working and it needed brake pads/rotors turned. He thought the brake job would cost more than the car was worth. He gave it to my mechanic neighbor who drove it home. He did the brakes and found a rodent nest in the heater vent. Nothing else wrong with it. Body and interior were in good shape. He then washed all the moss and fir needles off of the car and sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    That is my attitude toward my high mileage cars / trucks that I have had since new. If they can be fixed to stay safe and reliable I would prefer to keep them.
    I like a good car that’s cheap to buy and maintain, and lasts a long time. I bought a 2004 VW Jetta with 70k miles on it when I was in grad school for a little under $5k. Put 30k miles on it in two years. My son’s beat old Civic finally died, so I forced him to learn manual transmission and sent him back to school in the Jetta. Should be good, with routine maintenance, for a good while longer. Stupid pieces of plastic that break because it’s old notwithstanding, the gen4 Jetta is still being made in several factories, so getting OEM replacements is cheap.

Our 2007 Durango has 170k on it. No intentions of selling it till it dies. Routine maintenance, tires replaced as needed, and one water pump that let go on a road trip (did all belts at the same time for $40 more in parts). Mileage is crap, but I live a mile from work so I don’t care. Half the time, I walk or ride a bike anyway.

I like the Accord a lot. And the Camry. If I get another sedan anytime soon, it will be one of those, because they will last. But I really want a Mustang GT. And my kids are adults with their own cars, so a coupe should be fine, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    (Reminded me of this classic from many years ago. The thread title was, "Am I being careful enough?")

hello friends,

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18″ bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!
    Oh. My. God.

Set the wayback machine to 2001 and cue Gecko45.

That is still some of the best shit the internet has ever produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post

On my last trip to Germany I got a chance to spend some time on the autobahn and in the Black Forest in this...

Name:  48334F69-7626-4D1D-9967-E60C497A920E.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  102.9 KB
    I like this guy...

Car dealerships won't trade unless it's a newer model with less than 100K. At least that's been my experience. If you want a high mileage car that's 10 years old you'll have to go on Craigslist or Auto Trader to find it. Or just drive around on the back roads. I see them all the time in front of someone's house with a for sale sign. There's a rural grocery store not far from our house that always has 4 or 5 vehicles for sale in the parking lot. A friend of mine parked a big JD riding mower in front of her house and a $500 for sale sign. It was sold in 3 days.
    When I got my 2020 RAV last year, I traded my 2010 Corolla with 189k on it and they gave me $4,500 trade in for it. I was really surprised. I had tried to sell it locally and no one wanted to buy it at $3,000. This was after making the deal on the RAV at 15% off MSRP.

They asked what I was going to do with the Corolla. I told them I was going to sell it and the asked if they could make me an offer on it. After driving it they said $4k and I said I was hoping to get $5 and they said $4,500 and I said SOLD.

This was in August of last year before everything went totally off the rails with chips and empty lots.

User Tag List