Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're On Your Own

In my city, we are enjoying a critical shortage of available ambulances due to low pay and other staffing issues. In addition to my normal loadout when off duty, I have added trauma gear to the mix.

When at work, I have heard extreme delays of critically injured patients receiving medical treatment due to "heavy call volume". My county is normally staffed with 18 ambulances and there have been days where there were as few as four. So I'm dragging a TQ and other stuff around now when out shopping and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Concur. I worked an off-duty uniform gig at a grocery store in my town for the last six years I was on the job. I worked the place four times a month and can count on one hand the times I DIDN'T arrest somebody. The place sold an average of $40K/day of beer and drew quite the interesting crowd. Grocery stores are another version of the "watering hole" and therefore draw the herd animals and the predators.
    Wayne:
    I concur as well. Years ago in a small New England town, I stopped a theft that was turning into a violent assault on a Saturday afternoon at a local grocery store. Things were resolved successfully but it was a reminder to me that evil walks the face of the earth and hunts the unaware. It also reinforced my practice to always be armed. Always. Amen to Tom Givens for posting about this.
    Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Although I have never expected help from the police, there are a hell of a lot less of them now. I keep reading snippets here and there about this or that city being short X number of police. The POSs also know this so it is pretty obvious that they will using this to their advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    In my city, we are enjoying a critical shortage of available ambulances due to low pay and other staffing issues. In addition to my normal loadout when off duty, I have added trauma gear to the mix.

When at work, I have heard extreme delays of critically injured patients receiving medical treatment due to "heavy call volume". My county is normally staffed with 18 ambulances and there have been days where there were as few as four. So I'm dragging a TQ and other stuff around now when out shopping and such.
    For people reading lwt's post and contemplating carrying med gear, the answer is yes.

Even if you are in a county with robust EMS that is properly staffed, you will likely be dead by the time the ambulance arrives if it's actually a life-threatening bleed. That bleed could have occurred from any number of things. Even though this thread is about criminal violence, the vast majority of life threatening bleeds are from non-violent incidents, and the vast majority of those people die before an ambulance arrives.

The average ambulance response time in a properly staffed and properly functioning EMS system is 7 minutes. That's still beyond how long it takes to die from an arterial bleed, and doesn't take into account if you happen to be the statistical 1 out of 10 emergencies that day who wait for 30 minutes or more for the boo-boo box to show up. I'd rather carry my Glock 42, no reloads, and my ankle IFAK than carry my Glock 19, two reloads, and no IFAK if I was forced to choose. The med gear is applicable to so much more than the gun, and even if I can't carry a gun I'll still carry the IFAK.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This jumped out at me:

“ In the latest FBI data, murder was up more percentage-wise in cities with a population between 10,000 and 25,000 than in cities of 250,000 to 1 million.

"It was up over 30 percent in both, so neither was good, but it was worse slightly, percentage-wise in smaller cities," Asher said. "It was bad everywhere. There's not a good murder takeaway there."

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/27/10409...-increase-2020

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The average ambulance response time in a properly staffed and properly functioning EMS system is 7 minutes.
    Everyone should know the response time where they live. In the city I worked for, FD/EMS response was a shade under 4 minutes. Where I live now the chief is proud as hell to say that they're maintaining an 8 minute response time. Bleeding stuff is great to have, but it's far from the only emergency. If I have chest pain I can get to two different ERs in regular traffic before EMS would show up at my house. Depending on where I am in my daily travels, I might be able to get to an ER in less than half the time EMS takes to respond. Plan accordingly.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    When seconds count, fire and EMS are minutes away too.

And if it's any sort of violent incident, most places the cops will have to confirm the scene is secure before the ambulance rolls in.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Everyone should know the response time where they live. In the city I worked for, FD/EMS response was a shade under 4 minutes. Where I live now the chief is proud as hell to say that they're maintaining an 8 minute response time. Bleeding stuff is great to have, but it's far from the only emergency. If I have chest pain I can get to two different ERs in regular traffic before EMS would show up at my house. Depending on where I am in my daily travels, I might be able to get to an ER in less than half the time EMS takes to respond. Plan accordingly.
    Whereas in a rural area with volunteer squads, response times can be a LOT longer. In small towns around here the station is empty until there’s a call. Volunteers get paged, have to leave home or work and drive to the station, get the rig, and respond to the scene. My town was too small to have its own ambulance and relied on a regional service based a couple of towns away.
    Once on scene, some towns in our region have a 30-45 minute transport time to a trauma center, and that might be with a volunteer BLS crew that doesn’t see many serious calls.
    It’s a fact of rural life that surprises a lot of folks who move there from urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Whereas in a rural area with volunteer squads, response times can be a LOT longer. In small towns around here the station is empty until there’s a call. Volunteers get paged, have to leave home or work and drive to the station, get the rig, and respond to the scene. My town was too small to have its own ambulance and relied on a regional service based a couple of towns away.
    Once on scene, some towns in our region have a 30-45 minute transport time to a trauma center, and that might be with a volunteer BLS crew that doesn’t see many serious calls.
    It’s a fact of rural life that surprises a lot of folks who move there from urban areas.
    I grew up in a place like that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I grew up in a place like that.
    I live in a place like that.

User Tag List