Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're On Your Own

Site Supporter
    The nice neighborhood vs. bad neighborhood, only need a 'nice little gun as 5 is enough' vs. gear up for war in the bad neighborhood mantras are vitiated by cases like this. If the it was a workplace 'avenger' (as I've seen the term used), workplaces can go bad in any area. Spousal, partner revenge can happen anywhere.

Speaking to the choir here, hope I never become one of Tom's students in his reports.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The grocery stores and supermarkets were “hot spots” in my patrol area, in Houston, Texas, where I worked the night shift, for most of 34 years. The neighborhoods varied from a poor “ward,” to upscale, where Houston’s “old money” shopped, but complex tactical problems happened, regardless of the immediate locale’s income level.
    Concur. I worked an off-duty uniform gig at a grocery store in my town for the last six years I was on the job. I worked the place four times a month and can count on one hand the times I DIDN'T arrest somebody. The place sold an average of $40K/day of beer and drew quite the interesting crowd. Grocery stores are another version of the "watering hole" and therefore draw the herd animals and the predators.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Then there are places in the US (may issue) where a person can't get a permit to carry.

That case is going to the SC in Nov..

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/16/supr...y-gun-law.html

It's time everyone should be able to acquire a permit to carry. If the SC doesn't rule in favor of shall issue I'll be shocked.
    If the SC does not rule nominally in favor but so narrowly drawn and weasel worded as to be operationally meaningless, I will be surprised.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Grocery stores

I’ve long held the Petit murders as a case study on why I should be armed and why my wife should as well.

The wife and daughter were noticed by the predators at their upscale grocery store and followed home to their suburban neighborhood where they were raped and killed.

It’s also the reason why I have motion sensing IR cameras around the perimeter and inside the house as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    If the SC does not rule nominally in favor but so narrowly drawn and weasel worded as to be operationally meaningless, I will be surprised.
    Shall issue will be upheld in all states except the ones where it isn't.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Not to divert, but I agree with Jim. SC is reluctant to make a broad sweeping decision. Certainly Roberts won't, so he is either out of it or will moderate the other five. I'd bet that SC just eliminates the need for the 'reason' statement. Probably keep the references and class. Now the references can be pain given the rules for them in a specific county. Class is not a big deal, it was much less intense than TX. Also, will they deal with the slow walk of some counties, probably not.

The decision won't be a triumph. Hope I'm wrong. They are not going to declare constitutional carry as the law of the land, IMHO.

However, back to the issue at end. It has been claimed in the gun world that shootings occur where carry is banned. Clearly this is not the case as we have many rampages in carry state. The better argument is that carry states have the chance of successful intervention. Of course, stressing training is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Concur. I worked an off-duty uniform gig at a grocery store in my town for the last six years I was on the job. I worked the place four times a month and can count on one hand the times I DIDN'T arrest somebody. The place sold an average of $40K/day of beer and drew quite the interesting crowd. Grocery stores are another version of the "watering hole" and therefore draw the herd animals and the predators.
    Years ago I used to go to the local Walmart occasionally. After several encounters with bottom feeders in the parking lot I stay away now. The small town there has a serious gang problem. I noticed the same thing at a Walmart in ABQ.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Not to divert, but I agree with Jim. SC is reluctant to make a broad sweeping decision. Certainly Roberts won't, so he is either out of it or will moderate the other five. I'd bet that SC just eliminates the need for the 'reason' statement. Probably keep the references and class. Now the references can be pain given the rules for them in a specific county. Class is not a big deal, it was much less intense than TX. Also, will they deal with the slow walk of some counties, probably not.

The decision won't be a triumph. Hope I'm wrong. They are not going to declare constitutional carry as the law of the land, IMHO.

However, back to the issue at end. It has been claimed in the gun world that shootings occur where carry is banned. Clearly this is not the case as we have many rampages in carry state. The better argument is that carry states have the chance of successful intervention. Of course, stressing training is important.
    This Kroger was a posted no gun zone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Not to divert, but I agree with Jim. SC is reluctant to make a broad sweeping decision.
    As much as I agree with you on this, I'm hopeful that recent remarks from Thomas (negative slanted source intentionally chosen), Gorsuch (who dissented on failing to grant cert to Perulta) and Coney-Barret (who clerked for Scalia and is rumored to be to his right on 2A) are an indication otherwise.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Aside on tactics

It seemed to me that in my daily life the most vulnerable areas that were avoidable were gas stations and grocery stores.

When my wife was pregnant, we got her an electric car so she wouldn’t be exposed to vulnerability at gas stations.

These days most of our grocery shopping is delivery or curbside to reduce time exposure.

I also avoid malls and bars like the plague.

User Tag List