Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So my son made his first knife…

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Last year (at aged 12) my son started apprenticing with my good friend and coach at Attention2Detail. He's been regularly working there, doing a little bit of this and that as he gains more knowledge / experience.

He really wanted to buy one of the knives and Doug (owner) suggested he instead pay for materials and make it himself. Well he finally finished it yesterday: 3V steel, carbon fiber / brass scales. He's so proud of it and so am I. Thought I'd share, sorry the photos aren't more "pro":

Attachment 77546
    That is really nice work. Your son has talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Meh, I made a knife at that age. The only thing different was that your son has talent and my knife looked like a prison special.
    You and I must have had similar abilities in that line. My first try at about 14 actually might have worked at the big house in a brawl, but that is the strongest praise I can muster.

Years later, I modded a Condor "Kephart" with new handmade micarta scales. It was not beautiful, but it was businesslike. For some reason, I got paranoid about the handles not being attached well enough, so I tried to get them off the blade to redo them. Well...
    It turned out that the handles were actually rather well attached in spite of my doubts and I had no trouble scarring them up, but one HELL of a time getting them off. Lesson sort of learned.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

That looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Last year (at aged 12) my son started apprenticing with my good friend and coach at Attention2Detail. He's been regularly working there, doing a little bit of this and that as he gains more knowledge / experience.

He really wanted to buy one of the knives and Doug (owner) suggested he instead pay for materials and make it himself. Well he finally finished it yesterday: 3V steel, carbon fiber / brass scales. He's so proud of it and so am I. Thought I'd share, sorry the photos aren't more "pro":

Attachment 77546

Attachment 77547

Attachment 77548
    Beautiful work. He learned more from making that single example than he would have by handling a hundred of somebody else's.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List