Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So my son made his first knife…

So my son made his first knife…

Last year (at aged 12) my son started apprenticing with my good friend and coach at Attention2Detail. He's been regularly working there, doing a little bit of this and that as he gains more knowledge / experience.

He really wanted to buy one of the knives and Doug (owner) suggested he instead pay for materials and make it himself. Well he finally finished it yesterday: 3V steel, carbon fiber / brass scales. He's so proud of it and so am I. Thought I'd share, sorry the photos aren't more "pro":

Name:  FDC1D6E5-B91C-46F4-B187-F4BFD727C96F.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  F810FBCE-9268-4E8A-96B5-4DA502B9E383.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  8D19310F-EAF8-4196-9480-56798B0AE6BC.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  59.2 KB

That's fantastic work!!!

Tell him his surrogate "uncle" is extremely proud.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Let us know when he is ready to start taking orders! That looks great.

Site Supporter
    I am sure there is a mkt in the knife/tactical world for a knife that looks like that made like that by a young man like that.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Is he accepting commissions yet?

All that, and at 12!

He might be interested in https://www.americanbladesmith.org/. They offer about anything the developing bladesmith could want, from peer support, training, and competition to basic marketing. It's a good start to life as an adult, regardless of the field he ultimately enters.

Site Supporter
    That's awesome! Congratulations!

Apprenticeship is an awesome thing. He should definitely be proud.

Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    All that, and at 12!

He might be interested in https://www.americanbladesmith.org/. They offer about anything the developing bladesmith could want, from peer support, training, and competition to basic marketing. It's a good start to life as an adult, regardless of the field he ultimately enters.
    Well to be fair, he just turned 14!

Great suggestion, re:American Bladesmith. Who knows where he will go with this, but I know he loves doing it. So thankful that he's been able to have this opportunity.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

You and your son be proud. One of my friends does a little bladesmithing for fun. Once he offered to walk me through turning a small cylinder of steel into a bottle opener. It may open bottles but it looks horrible. Anything involving forges, hammers, and tongs is no easy task. Your son’s knife looks fantastic.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List