Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So my son made his first knife…

That’s amazing. I’d buy it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Doug (owner) suggested he instead pay for materials and make it himself.
    Meh, I made a knife at that age. The only thing different was that your son has talent and my knife looked like a prison special.

Seriously, your son did a great job on that! I wish him success as he continues with his mentor.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Another person here who seriously wants to know once he starts taking orders/selling.

That is awesome! What a wonderful talent he has. I am very impressed in many ways by a 14 year old who has a talent like that and is already enjoying it and positioning himself to make a living at something he loves. Too often we move into jobs early in life that we don't really enjoy. I'm very impressed with his work and would love to buy a knife like that, but that knife would most likely be out of my price range

Awesome for all of you! His first design looks like it could be sold by any of the top artisans. I can't wait to see his future designs.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Looks terrific! Good work by your son.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    If you hadn't told me that is a teen's first build, I would have never known. That apprenticeship was a great idea.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    If you hadn't told me that is a teen's first build, I would have never known. That apprenticeship was a great idea.
    THIS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Let us know when he is ready to start taking orders! That looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Is he accepting commissions yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Another person here who seriously wants to know once he starts taking orders/selling.
    Pretty much this.

And it looks like the young blade smith has a career already lined up for him, should he want to make knives for a living.

That looks great and like the 3v steel.

Site Supporter
    "If you hadn't told me that is a teen's first build, I would have never known."-That is some platinum stuff right there and SPOT ON. There are people getting several hundred dollars for knives that do not look nearly as good or functional.

The value of getting in on the ground floor of someone who is clearly gifted should not be underestimated. Does he have the capacity to make 12 more knives? I pick that number for the pure association with his age when he finished #00.

I recently watched a YT clip re a master watch maker. He keeps 00 for himself because the customers want 01-xxx.

On an aside, please have him memorialize the production of this knife with pics/notes etc. now while it is fresh.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List