Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knight's Armament

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I didn't say those mods were necessary. I wouldn't take my words too seriously as I tend to take things a bit to their extreme, for fun, if anything. In reality, most of my serious guns are 6920's or DD because, alas, I'm a peasant and can't actually stomach spending over $3k or nearly $4k (at current prices) for one rifle.

I think the SR15 has been more than proven to be perfectly fine out of the box and long-lasting due to the factory enhancements.
    Coughing up the dough for a spare bolt, when you'll probably never need one (on my firing schedule), is hard to swallow. But it would suck to have an E3 rifle and a broken bolt and no spare

The E3 bolt is the deal.

I went through a KAC phase and ended up back with 16” carbine gas Colts because in the end the bolt is replaceable without even needing tools, and KAC has a knack for making easy things hard, making the tools super expensive, and little proprietary pieces unavailable.

Ambi lowers ain’t my jam. At all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Coughing up the dough for a spare bolt, when you'll probably never need one (on my firing schedule), is hard to swallow. But it would suck to have an E3 rifle and a broken bolt and no spare
    Long term, yes, short term, in a pinch, you can use a standard AR bolt in an E3. (Though the reverse is not true).

It's actually one of the things that makes it more attractive than other proprietary systems.

I don’t think they’re off radar, just look at the prices used ones are going for right now. I’m a huge KAC fanboy but was just getting into it when the panic hit. I’m down to one 11.5 upper and a QDC in jail. Would love to get a lower and then a complete 14.5 at some point along with more QDCs. All of my ARs are wearing KAC MDs as I decided they would be my 5.56 cans. Also hard as balls to find though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Long term, yes, short term, in a pinch, you can use a standard AR bolt in an E3. (Though the reverse is not true).

It's actually one of the things that makes it more attractive than other proprietary systems.
    Yeah, but since I’m a civilian, and “in a pinch” doesn’t really apply to me, I just got the correct bolt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Yeah, but since I’m a civilian, and “in a pinch” doesn’t really apply to me, I just got the correct bolt.
    Supply chain disruptions are a thing.

Collectors Firearms, in Houston, a rather high-end place that handles several of the boutique AR/M4 lines, moves new and pre-owned KAC products, regularly. I bought a KAC SR15 lower, there, as a gift for a nephew, a year or two ago. No KAC firearms are listed, on the website, at this moment in time, but I would not doubt that there are some KAC accessories in stock, right now. Collectors lists relatively few of accessories on-line, and many of the newly-acquired firearms are sold to walk-in buyers before the firearms are photographed and/or listed. Plus, if any customers have wish-listed a KAC firearm, the firearm will not be listed for sale, until the customer has had time to respond.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/

I have no financial affiliation with this business, other than my wallet being lighter, because of their existence.

Edited to add: I do not consider myself a “fan” of KAC. My wife bought me a pre-owned KAC SR15, to use as a patrol rifle. It had to go back to KAC, because of a machining step that had been skipped, in manufacturing an entire batch. (There were no M4 cuts.) It had feeding problems, so I quickly got PD letterhead, and bought an LE/Government-only Colt AR15 Govt Carbine, in order to be able to attend one of the precious, then-rare patrol rifle cert classes, for which I had been miraculously scheduled. The Colt ran fine, so, I sold the SR15 when it came back from KAC. So, yeah, regardless of its reputation, among the hobbyists, I see KAC being just like any manufacturer, capable of making an egregious QC slip-up.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-24-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Collectors Firearms, in Houston, a rather high-end place that handles several of the boutique AR/M4 lines, moves new and pre-owned KAC products, regularly. I bought a KAC SR15 lower, there, as a gift for a nephew, a year or two ago. No KAC firearms are listed, on the website, at this moment in time, but I would not doubt that there are some KAC accessories in stock, right now. Collectors lists relatively few of accessories on-line, and many of the newly-acquired firearms are sold to walk-in buyers before the firearms are photographed and/or listed. Plus, if any customers have wish-listed a KAC firearm, the firearm will not be listed for sale, until the customer has had time to respond.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/

I have no financial affiliation with this business, other than my wallet being lighter, because of their existence.
    Why did you have to tell me this? I've told myself I'll get an 11.5 KAC next time I see one in stock thinking my wallet would be safe for many months.

Collector's Firearms. I didn't spend nearly enough money there while I lived in Texas.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    https://www.knightarmco.com/product/commercial-firearms

There may be a thread on them already, but it seems like nothing recent...

Some may not know this, but I wrote one of the first published articles about the SR15 commercial model many years ago. it was based on a pre-production model, and I had several conversations at the time with Trey Knight and others from the company about their desire to get into the commercial AR market.

On another personal note, I was one of the lucky people that got to visit the facility in Florida and tour the museum back when SHOT was in Orlando. I also had all the parts for the "lunchbox" gun when they did that, but foolishly sold the parts off.

Maybe I'm just disconnected from the industry as a whole these days, but it seems like they're kind of off the radar again?

Thoughts?

They are not off radar, it's just that they have not been working more on there commercial lately

User Tag List