Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knight's Armament

Knight's Armament

https://www.knightarmco.com/product/commercial-firearms

There may be a thread on them already, but it seems like nothing recent...

Some may not know this, but I wrote one of the first published articles about the SR15 commercial model many years ago. it was based on a pre-production model, and I had several conversations at the time with Trey Knight and others from the company about their desire to get into the commercial AR market.

On another personal note, I was one of the lucky people that got to visit the facility in Florida and tour the museum back when SHOT was in Orlando. I also had all the parts for the "lunchbox" gun when they did that, but foolishly sold the parts off.

Maybe I'm just disconnected from the industry as a whole these days, but it seems like they're kind of off the radar again?

Thoughts?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Their guns are expensive and they don’t do as much marketing as some of the other manufacturers in that price point so people don’t talk about KAC a lot. I don’t think they were ever very focused on the commercial market as most of their money comes from government contracts. The people shopping for ARs in the KAC price point generally know about them. I remember reading some posts about KAC opening up the gas ports on their 16” and 14.5” commercial guns to improve reliability with the cheap .223 most people shoot and that turned some people off.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I don't think they are off the radar. I think you don't hear a lot about them because they are expensive and in high demand so availability is even worse than everything else gun related in the last few years. Also, most people on the internet are buying the cheapest shit they can find and are convinced it is just as good so the differences that make KAC special would be completely lost on them.

I remember some years ago John Johnston did a long term review of the SR15 and said that if he had to pick a single off the shelf AR15 to use and know it was good to go, it was the SR15. If I had unlimited funding, an SR15 with a CompM4 would probably be fairly high on my wantsies list. That and an M110 of some flavor.

I bumped into a guy who worked for KAC once, and he seemed like a really good dude. I would absolutely spend money with them, I just don't have instagram famous money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    If I had unlimited funding, an SR15 with a CompM4 would probably be fairly high on my wantsies list.
    +2

SR15 + CompM4 + LMT enhanced bolt carrier + A5 setup, in my mind at least, seems like it would make for an awesome end-of-the-world carbine. Maybe an LMT AR10 tube (LMP259C) for the rolled threads? Not sure if SR25 tubes (25758) have rolled threads? Not sure if that's too many dwell time modifiers to function reliably in a 16" though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    +2

SR15 + CompM4 + LMT enhanced bolt carrier + A5 setup, in my mind at least, seems like it would make for an awesome end-of-the-world carbine. Maybe an LMT AR10 tube (LMP259C) for the rolled threads? Not sure if SR25 tubes (25758) have rolled threads? Not sure if that's too many dwell time modifiers to function reliably in a 16" though.
    I don’t know why you’d spend that much money on a gun and then tear out the guts of the operating system.

I always thought part of what you’re paying for with KAC was their r&d to get the operating system balanced and working well so that there was no point in adding after market parts from different companies.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Knights is always there, but their focus is military and LE contracts. Knights makes fantastic turn key rifles.
    #RESIST

KAC gets their gas right, so no need to change anything in the operating system. I gotta get off my ass and get a MAMS for my SR15

If I had to pick one gun it would be an SR15.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    KAC gets their gas right, so no need to change anything in the operating system. I gotta get off my ass and get a MAMS for my SR15

If I had to pick one gun it would be an SR15.
    The 5.56 MAMS have been vapor ware for a while. If you stumble across one, don’t hesitate. It may be a while before you find another.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t know why you’d spend that much money on a gun and then tear out the guts of the operating system.

I always thought part of what you’re paying for with KAC was their r&d to get the operating system balanced and working well so that there was no point in adding after market parts from different companies.
    I didn't say those mods were necessary. I wouldn't take my words too seriously as I tend to take things a bit to their extreme, for fun, if anything. In reality, most of my serious guns are 6920's or DD because, alas, I'm a peasant and can't actually stomach spending over $3k or nearly $4k (at current prices) for one rifle.

I think the SR15 has been more than proven to be perfectly fine out of the box and long-lasting due to the factory enhancements.

User Tag List