Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Demonstrated Concepts Cheek Weld

Quote Originally Posted by RustyCrusty View Post
    It’s still doable, but suboptimal. Running an SBA3 with the tails folded in was a step in my path to cheek/jaw-only mounting. I noticed that taking the time to bump into the shoulder pocket wasn’t really worth the time penalty on many entries to shooting positions on stages. The tighter shooting windows and wider target spreads provided less benefit from shouldered shooting because the shouldered position requires the entire torso to be rotated to each target whereas the cheek/jaw mount allowed me to quickly rotate my gun and head more naturally in a wider arc. From a sprint with brace over shoulder it was faster to just jam the brace along my neck and torque the gun into my jaw to fire. It wasn’t as viable with the standard stock or the expanded floppy tails on the SBA3 because the toe would interfere with my shoulder, snag on clothing/gear as i turned my head to address target arrays and elevated the receiver too high along my jaw for consistent eye to optic marriage. It also messed with my muffs before I switched to EEP100s.

The VTAC wall is a hilarious oddity to me, and is one that highlights the uselessness of the shoulder stock. That’s not just my opinion. Take it directly from the source. I liked a video from Viking Tactics of them shooting their own drill without using a stock at all for more than half of the positions (the last 5 of 9 you can see the stock is floating freely by his bicep). The only relationship that is constant is eye-to-optic. Arguably- they aren’t using a stock for ANY of the positions because the gun isn’t braced to the shoulder; it’s pinned to the barricade itself for all 9 holes. It’s a far superior approach to absorb recoil and stabilize the gun with the environment any time the environment is more sturdy than the shooter. If I don’t need a stock for unsupported shooting, I certainly don’t need it when I am offloading some of the work onto the environment

https://youtu.be/KbyqAoiX4CA
    I was about to say, in all the footage I have seen of people using the VTAC, you see the stock become irrelevant for most halfway down at least. Which makes sense, as I thought the whole point was to force people out of conventional shooting positions.

Considering that this is set up for always shooting from a compressed position, is it time for a reverse (not just vertical) pistol grip, of the type that used to be done on paintball guns?

Edit: Didn't put this in the gear thread because, afaik, this doesn't actually exist yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Considering that this is set up for always shooting from a compressed position, is it time for a reverse (not just vertical) pistol grip, of the type that used to be done on paintball guns?
    The Mid-Evil's 360 ARG ("Adjustable Rifle Grip") may be of interest in this regard. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive.
    https://www.mid-evil.com/product/360-arg/

I have continued to experiment with this method, and see if it can work into my use.

My USPSA PCC has both a conventional optic, in this case a Holosun 512C sealed red dot, and a Holosun 507 in a T-Rex offset mount. See below.

Name:  CFC659B1-9539-459B-B9EA-5206D2291116.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  50.9 KB

What I have been experimenting with, is using the cheek weld method in conjunction with the offset mount and the stock floating above my shoulder, to allow me to address targets on the move and in confined areas. It looks like this.

Name:  29D15930-0A39-4FB0-B679-A0FD3059BDB4.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  58.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have continued to experiment with this method, and see if it can work into my use.

My USPSA PCC has both a conventional optic, in this case a Holosun 512C sealed red dot, and a Holosun 507 in a T-Rex offset mount. See below.

Name:  CFC659B1-9539-459B-B9EA-5206D2291116.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  50.9 KB

What I have been experimenting with, is using the cheek weld method in conjunction with the offset mount and the stock floating above my shoulder, to allow me to address targets on the move and in confined areas. It looks like this.

Name:  29D15930-0A39-4FB0-B679-A0FD3059BDB4.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  58.6 KB
    George have you worked much with your support hand in a palm down/overhand position? When Rhett demos this there's an observable down-inboard squeeze that creates counter pressure and really locks the gun down better IMO than a conventional support hand grip.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    George have you worked much with your support hand in a palm down/overhand position? When Rhett demos this there's an observable down-inboard squeeze that creates counter pressure and really locks the gun down better IMO than a conventional support hand grip.
    The issue with that, is that I will need to change my "regular" support hand position, which slows by moving from conventional PCC shooting, to cheek weld, and back to conventional. PCC shooters have adopted the butt back over the shoulder, rather than depressing the muzzle, to transition faster, and what I am trying to do is use the cheek weld and offset optic to allow me to also shoot from the transitioning/traveling position.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The issue with that, is that I will need to change my "regular" support hand position, which slows by moving from conventional PCC shooting, to cheek weld, and back to conventional. PCC shooters have adopted the butt back over the shoulder, rather than depressing the muzzle, to transition faster, and what I am trying to do is use the cheek weld and offset optic to allow me to also shoot from the transitioning/traveling position.
    Gotcha!

Did some shooting on the move today with the offset 507, holding the carbine as in the photo above. Worked great and was quick to transition from conventional PCC technique to cheek weld and back. My face is on the tube, behind the charging handle, so no interference. I think the Holosun circle only is ideal for this application.

Then I went sitting, and shot this five round group at 25 yards using the stock. Nice to be able to integrate both techniques.

Name:  157179BD-BB11-48A5-B287-CD0EA06BB24F.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  26.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post

Edit: Didn't put this in the gear thread because, afaik, this doesn't actually exist yet.
    Those weren't really even good for paintball, the love for Tom Kaye/AGD is what kept them marginally relevant in a niche group of the sport.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Ruger 22 and/or PC Charger?

Might have missed it but wondering if anyone has tried this with Ruger's Charger?

I'd also think Ruger's 22 Charger would be more reliable on average than the KelTec 22.

I'd also think this would work with Mare's Leg type levers though outside of perhaps "handgun" hunting with carbine level ballistics not sure utility of that.

User Tag List