Thread: RFI: Overhead (Desk) Photo/Video

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

RFI: Overhead (Desk) Photo/Video

I am in the process of making some tutorials for one of my classes that consist of assembling some basic components on a desk. Holding a phone with one hand and building everything with my other three hands isn't working very well, so I need some kit to help out and I'm curious if anyone here has suggestions.

I need some sort of rig to hold the camera (probably just a phone for the time being) and some basic lighting. Something like a Glide Gear overhead rig looks like a good idea - the rig just needs to span a desk and can sit on the desk itself. I know people go to school to learn how to light things correctly and I'm clueless where to start on that side - it doesn't need to be premium lighting equipment, just something I can move around to try to minimize shadows and so forth.

Total budget is probably $500, but piecing together equipment over time is an option too. I am finding myself falling down every rabbit hole, so any tips are welcome.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    I've been using this thing for a year and am very happy with it.
    I use it to hold a tablet while sitting in the living room chair, but, it could easily hold a smartphone or camera upside down.
    Also, since it's not mounted on the table/work surface, it would be less prone to shaking during your work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List