Thread: Taurus PT-22s jam

Site Supporter

Taurus PT-22s jam

I got this article in my IDPA newsletter: https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...-automatic-why

and was taken by the PT-22 weird jam. I had for a bit. It was chromed with fancy wood handles. Pretty gun. However, it jammed incessantly. That jam is weird but mine was better. It would eject a live round entirely on loading. Just, whee! Into space goes the round. More exciting was the slide slamming shut on a live round halfway being sent into space, such that the round bent in half. If it had caught the primer ring on the slam, that might have been exciting.

Sold it. Now, not to dump on Taurus, as I said before, my new Glock 42 (first ones) decided to fire out of battery, spouting flame, sparks and smoke from the ejector port!!

I had an LCP also, worked just fine - sold it for the Glock 42 as I wanted a little bigger 380. Unlike the author, it isn't a primary EDC but a dress code gun of convenience.

I did have an empty rotate 180 degrees in a Glock 19, and get caught by the returning slide and its empty edge get jammed in pretty tight. No tap, rack cure for that one. I think it was just a weird bounce, never saw it again.

I have a PT22 and it has no redeeming values. It's so bad I won't even take it to a gun show to unload. I got it in a deal with some other stuff that I wanted. The pretty wood grips had split and been glued back together. I found out why when it fired out of battery and split them again. It malfunctions frequently, and is hard to clear because the recoil spring is too heavy to easily retract the slide. It's kind of a fun little gun to shoot when it works, but it doesn't often work.

Hammertime
    Dang it. I know of a nice 1908 for sale locally. I said no since I have given up on the .25, but now I want it.

I had a little Beretta in .25 was incredibly reliable but not so much the same little Beretta in .22. It was a drama jam o matic

So I guess my findings concur.

Site Supporter
    I went shooting with a friend who had a Beretta and that was a jammer. It seems to be a function of the caliber configuration.

If I can figure out how to upload a video of my old safe whore PT-22, I’ll be back. Fun guns when they run, but quality is not a redeeming feature.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I read in today's Greg Ellifritz posting that his LCP 22LR has some reliability problems and he's looking for a reliable round. My PT-22 didn't care. It jammed with everything and new mags didn't help. Oh, well.

I had one in the late 1990s. It jammed on the 1st range trip. I shipped it back to Taurus. They sent it back.

It worked, but they modded the magazine where it held 1 less round. Gun worked 100% after that, but it only worked with the 1 mag that the gun came with - which was the one I sent in with the gun.

I no longer have the gun - and no Taurus again for me...

User Tag List