Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Global Supply Chain Woes

More Global Supply Chain Woes

Global shipping mess to last until 2023, industry insider predicts

While Aussie focused, the article has a bit of interesting info about the worldwide shipping problem.

The problems began when the coronavirus pandemic first hit China in 2020, and worsened when the giant container ship, Ever Given, blocked the Suez Canal in Egypt for nearly a week earlier this year.
    "There's a massive backlog already and there's a huge demand continuing to rise. This is a huge issue," Mr Meyer said.

Months and months of shipping disruptions resulting in part from pandemic-triggered overseas factory shutdowns, port congestion and shipping container and labour shortages have caused delays for all kinds of products.
    A series of important forthcoming national holidays and festivals in China will only serve to deepen the crisis, Mr Meyer said.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Most the transportation economists I read say Q1 2023 is the earliest our supply chains return to something resembling early Q1'19, shipping congestion, shipping costs, trucking capacity, freight rates, etc. alone are a factor. Chinese factory productivity is at a 10 year low for many sectors.

Its no joke, the admonition about those of you buying toys for Christmas to go get them right now and hide them in the closet/attic. Almost none of that stuff is made here. Toys this Christmas might resemble toilet paper April 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Its no joke, the admonition about those of you buying toys for Christmas to go get them right now and hide them in the closet/attic. Almost none of that stuff is made here. Toys this Christmas might resemble toilet paper April 2020.
    Easy solution...with some forethought. Little Billy will love them, and your wife will will appreciate your forward thinking.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Most the transportation economists I read say Q1 2023 is the earliest our supply chains return to something resembling early Q1'19, shipping congestion, shipping costs, trucking capacity, freight rates, etc. alone are a factor. Chinese factory productivity is at a 10 year low for many sectors.

And we think Black Friday is bad in normal times.

There's no better feeling than the gift of giving. That's why I buy myself scotch for Christmas. I bet I've already drank 10 Christmas presents this year. My heart is full.

Sounds like good reasons (rationalizations) to buy some classic US-made firearms as there are minimal impacts on the foreign supply chain infrastructure and no electronics content.

As far as products, presents and otherwise, this is the year to avoid anything electronic. The shortages this year dwarf anything experienced in the last thirty-five years. The amount of substitutions and counterfeits cannot be believed. This crisis is allowing electronic junk, either too old or quality rejects, to be incorporated into salable product. No company is immune, so the best approach is to buy nothing.

Site Supporter
    My parents bought me a lot of Craftsman tools as gifts when I was a kid. That remains one of the most thoughtful things they've ever done for me.
    I still have most of them, some of them I got as young as 8 or 9, and I've now had them over 30 years.
    Back then, Craftsman was made in the US and the warranty at Sears was outstanding. It's a shame those days are gone but the tools never fail to remind me of what was.

But my point is that quality, American-made tools last a lifetime and are a source of pride and happy memories every time they're used. So if not guns, buy the kids some tools and teach them how to fix some stuff.
    While doing some car stuff this weekend, I used a 3/8 ratchet that I first used to change a bicycle tire on my BMX bike with my Dad when I was about 8 years old. I still remember how shiny it was when it was new and how exciting it was to have my own tools. Someone started cutting onions in my garage, so I called my Dad and I went over there for a few beers.

Whereupon I learned that he started buying me tools, so I'd stay the hell out of his tools!

After years of trying, I finally got my extended family to forgo gift giving and just have a meal instead. If gifts are to becexchanged, they have to consumables. Only exception was for the little kids. No more of those, so Im done with it. I have enough stuff in my house. I dont want more.

Site Supporter
    Maybe not globally; but locally it’s like the Gatorade wells have run dry, and it’s unavailable or in extremely limited supply in stores.

It’s a little strange; but could just be because the local distributor can find employees or has a bunch of people out with covid.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Maybe not globally; but locally it’s like the Gatorade wells have run dry, and it’s unavailable or in extremely limited supply in stores.

It’s a little strange; but could just be because the local distributor can find employees or has a bunch of people out with covid.
    I’ve noticed that in SW Ohio also. I’ve got a couple weeks worth left, but we just came from Walmart and there was very little, and none of my preferred variety. I also noticed the chocolate section was very thin.

User Tag List