Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon to a restaurant near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    Should make the overall tab smaller too. I mean, who the hell is going to tip a robot?
    Yeah, it works that way so often - 'owners pass the savings on to you' - like when GM, Ford and Dodge replaced thousands of workers with robotic assembly. Car prices plummeted, not.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    If it fucks up my order, I'll tip it right over.
    What are you doing, Dave?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    What are you doing, Dave?
    Don't order the cake.

The cake is a lie.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

This is absolutely coming. At my last employer, we had autonomous forklifts that were handling more and more of our material. I had a few with my old manager last Friday and he said the next major capital investment in the plant would be a fully automated warehouse.

The way the place is struggling to fill vacancies at this time, I doubt it would cause any layoffs, at least until they can automate a few more things.

We also discussed the possibility of me coming back in a different role than my last one. I’m...... intrigued.

This is economics 101. You are not going to get higher min wages. You are going to get replaced by a kiosk or a robot.
    Last edited by cheby; 09-20-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Name:  c0377c30bc0d013432bd005056a9545d.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  53.8 KB

If they combine robot waiters with sex robots, it’ll be a very popular place to go….

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    he said the next major capital investment in the plant would be a fully automated warehouse..
    Amazon is presumably dumping huge amounts of time, money and effort into exactly this.

When they get the first one online they're going to destroy the concept of blue collar work. There are a bunch of moderately well-paying jobs that are being automated out of existence. People assume because robots didn't get rid of all humans at Ford/GM/etc that the whole "they just create new, different jobs" situation is the norm. They're going to be in for a rude awakening sooner than later.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Like the robots that clean In stop and shop. Lol. It’s a world going to roombas.
    The robot in the Stop & Shop here just goes around paging "clean up on aisle seven". It doesn't do anything more than be a mobile Bitchin' Betty. The workers there pretty much tune it out.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List