Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: School me on an air compressor for the ol’ Toyota stable…

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-DC-1...ric/1000092575

Bought one of these for use on the road with the RV in...2016 maybe (Price was like $40, shows you how long ago). Auto shut off, works off house current or DC, includes inflator nozzle for pool toys, and can handle 80 psi truck tires. I really like it, and I've had VIAIR etc. pumps, nothing seems to work better than this one.
    RJ, this looks very much like what I'm looking for. My portable one works just fine but I hate having to back the car out of the garage and run it with it plugged into the cigarette lighter. I would much rather plug it into the wall outlet in the garage and air up without running the car. The only thing that might be a problem is the cords look very short on it? The inflater tube according to the specs is only 2 feet long. Do you happen to know how long the power cord is? From the outlet in my garage to the farthest tire from it I'm estimating is about 15 feet (but I will measure when I can). So if you happen to know that length I'd appreciate it. I do have plenty of extension cords, I just don't know if you're supposed to use this with one.

I have DeWalt 20V tools, and bought the compressor that uses the same battery. It works great. I have a slow leak in one of my tires and have to fill it up about once a month. It's easy to walk out to the curb with the little air compressor and fill it up. It's a lot more convenient to my old Makita compressor, which I'd have to lug out to my car, run the cord back to the house, then fiddle with the air line as I filled up each tire. The DeWalt compressor also works great on all my bicycles. One little feature that I like is that I can set the pressure, and when it is reached, it automatically stops.

Site Supporter
    Viair for garage
    Viair in 4runner
    viair in Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    RJ, this looks very much like what I'm looking for. My portable one works just fine but I hate having to back the car out of the garage and run it with it plugged into the cigarette lighter. I would much rather plug it into the wall outlet in the garage and air up without running the car. The only thing that might be a problem is the cords look very short on it? The inflater tube according to the specs is only 2 feet long. Do you happen to know how long the power cord is? From the outlet in my garage to the farthest tire from it I'm estimating is about 15 feet (but I will measure when I can). So if you happen to know that length I'd appreciate it. I do have plenty of extension cords, I just don't know if you're supposed to use this with one.
    Yes, definitely needs extension cords. I have a 50' 12/3 wrapped around one of these reels I use in the garage:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProTorch-10...zer/1002799146

I just plug this into the wall, then unroll it as I walk out to the car.

As to the unit, I'd say the AC power cable is about 2' long (ish, doing from memory), same for the inflator hose. The AC cable wraps around four lugs and tucks in. The inflator hose is tucked under a cover on one end. The DC power cable is tucked into the other end, and is (maybe?) 15' long. (I think I've only used the DC power cord once in the truck).

One other thing I like about the Kobalt unit is it has a small LED worklight which illuminates the area around the tire, a nice touch. The LCD screen is illuminated as well, and easy to see.

I used it the other day; inflating my car's tires about 2 psi took about 20s each. I lose about a psi per month, so have to top off from time to time, like most folks.

I think if I didn't have the Kobalt plug-in one already (mine is perhaps 6-7 years old now) I'd check out one of those cordless models that leverage the newer larger lithium power tool batteries. I bought an inexpensive cordless 18V 3/4 impact wrench I use for my wheel bolts, and that thing is the business, but it's not exactly one of the standard cordless tool lines mentioned above. I really do have to replace my aging Makita cordless drill one of these days; that's maybe 10+ years old now, but I use it all the time.

My recommendation is the same as trailrunner's, the DeWalt unit.

For years I had an old plug-in compressor unit, noisy as could be (woke the neighborhood when used at night), for which I had to run a long extension cord from the garage. When its rubber air hose eventually rotted and broke off, I looked into a replacement, and the DeWalt is tops.

Portable, lightweight, reads the current pressure, inflates quickly and quietly to whatever you set it (and accurate to within a couple tenths of a pound), stops automatically when set pressure is achieved, rechargeable battery holds its charge seemingly forever, and airing up all 4 SUV tires takes very little juice.

It's a joy to use compared to the old clunker I had before.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Thank you RJ, and everyone else in the thread. I guess I could use that unit with an extension cord easy enough since that seems to be ok. The cordless battery units are very intriguing, but potentially much more money. I'll have to look at what cordless drill I have and see if that's a viable battery for such a thing....

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I bought one of these earlier this year and really like it. The thing is seriously quiet, and seems very well-built.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gall...sor-64596.html
    I second this. I bought one this summer. It is quiet. Really quiet. Fills fast. It can run a Brad nailer. Blow off the mower after using. I hope it is long lasting……

User Tag List