Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School me on an air compressor for the ol’ Toyota stable…

School me on an air compressor for the ol’ Toyota stable…

Yo.

Pretty much as the thread title states: what should I get that will allow me to stay on top of my car and SUV tires? I have some sort of lethargic POS that plugs into the lighter socket… it’s sort of meh. I’ve also discovered that there isn’t a station in my entire part of town that has working air: they are all out of order, or some sort of horrifying, digital “auto air” that drains your tire in exchange for 2 bucks on your debit card. That had me leaving with visions of a 3am 12-gauge return to put that POS out of everyone else’s misery…

Is there anything that I can plug into the wall (corded) that will top off the tires, and allow for seasonal temp change, easily, that doesn’t cost Ruger LCR up to Nighthawk Custom money?

Thanks in advance!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

What cordless tools do you use?
    #RESIST

What all do you plan to do with it, just basically air up tires?

My local Walmart had one similar to this about 4 years ago minus the hose and all the attachments and it works pretty good even for the resetting pressures as it cools off on my pickup’s 33” tires. It won’t run air tools and using a blowgun to clean stuff with air is kinda useless but tires, it works pretty great. It’s pretty noisy tho but for something cheap just for tires, ya can’t beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    For basic garage use, the $150-200 8 Gallon 'hot dog' compressors are fantastic.
    Most will fill up fast, and most can hang with limited use of impact tools and such. They're also relatively small and easy to move around, especially the wheeled models. Anything smaller and you're severely limited in additional uses, and anything bigger and you're getting into permanent-location, takes-up-a-lot-of-space kinds of stuff.

I got a Husky 8 gallon a during a labor day sale at Home Depot for $99 and I use it 3-4 times as often as my big ass 30 gal shop compressor. I only really fire up the big compressor to use my 3/4in drive impact gun or similar 'I wasn't asking' levels of air tools.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I would second(third) the suggestion for a tank if you are not wanting transportability as it will be easiest to use and give you a lot of flexibility for tools and airbrushing.

I use a transportable VIAIR portable air compressor for my automotive needs. It connects to your battery terminals so has ample power but can’t really be used for tools or anything else other than balls and maybe pool toys. It’s mostly for airing back up after off-roading.

Site Supporter
    I keep a Viair portable behind the backseat in my Tacoma. It connects to the battery terminals and is handy for on the go offroad, camping, and roadtrip use.

Its certainly not the most convenient for garage use and you aren't going to run air tools off of it, but I ALWAYS have it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What cordless tools do you use?
    Nothing using air.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I keep this in my truck and it has worked well for me to keep air in the tires.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-84P-84p...%2C168&sr=8-51

It uses the cigarette lighter, though. If you look at their other models, the have one that clamps to the battery terminals, as mentioned already, and models that plug into the wall.

Site Supporter
    I bought a cheap Harbor Freight 2(?) gallon hot-dog electric years ago. Found I used it WAY more than I expected. Even made a great full-auto pellet gun for my son with it. Scored big dad-points with that.

Inherited a 5(?) gallon pancake version that I like even better. Gave my HF to a friend and it's still going strong.

Use case for me is just auto, motorcycle and bicycle tires. And the occasional toy gun. The smaller HF did fine for all of those.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-DC-1...ric/1000092575

Bought one of these for use on the road with the RV in...2016 maybe (Price was like $40, shows you how long ago). Auto shut off, works off house current or DC, includes inflator nozzle for pool toys, and can handle 80 psi truck tires. I really like it, and I've had VIAIR etc. pumps, nothing seems to work better than this one.

User Tag List