Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon in revolver cylinder driving me nuts.

Carbon in revolver cylinder driving me nuts.

Recently picked up a Smith & Wesson revolver and in the process of going over it I've noticed a build up of carbon the the cylinder throats. I've tried everything to try and remover this carbon, carbon remover and let it soak, Butch's Bore Shine, CR-10, Montana, Shooters Choice, etc, etc. (yes, I have a bore scope) I even used a Lewis Lead Remover and twisted it in the effected area and still there's a bunch of lead stacked up. You guys have any suggestions on how to get this stuff out of there? I don't want to go to an industrial penetrating oil for fear of messing up the bluing or etching the cylinder throats. You guys have any suggestions? Thanks. BCM

I have one of those ancient window screen type bore brushes that I use when all hope is lost.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Lead remover cloth wrapped around a .40 cal bore brush. Contemplate chucking it up in a cordless drill if it’s extreme.

Never heard of penetrating oil etching metal.
    I soak fouled auto barrels in a jar of "benchrest blend", Shooters Choice + Kroil.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Soak in Kano Kroil or 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone, leave wet for a week, wet patching daily, waiting patiently! Only after thorough soaking then use .40 cal. bore brush on chambers. In extreme cases in customer service at the factory we used a modified chambering reamer having the cutting edges backed off, so that it would scrape out the lead without scratching the steel. Ultrasonic cleaner will also get it if you have access to one. In the future use soft 8-10 BHN bullets which FIT the cylinder throats, using soft lube such as 1:4 ATF-Beeswax and you won't get any more leading.

Site Supporter
    I’d try a stainless steel CHAMBER brush and see if that works.

If you’re going to shoot lead bullets once it’s cleaned, make sure they’re the right size. The way to figure this out is to drop the bullet (not the loaded round) into the chamber from the rear. It should stick in the throat. If it pushes out easily or slides right through, it’s too small. If you can push it through with some pressure, it’s about right. If you can’t push it through, it’s too big.

Softer bullets with soft lube are best, but even commercial hardcast bullets won’t lead if they fit the chamber throats.

The larger size brush, like a 40 mentioned above, helps. The proper size bore brushes for the gun in question usually dont have a very good fit in chambers. I sometimes use old 44 or 45 brushes as chamber brushes if I dont want to trash a good one on a smaller chamber.

Old Hoppes No 9 or Shooters Choice has usually done it for me, but when impatient, Ive used the small blade on the Swiss Army Knife to carefully scrape the lead and carbon residue out at a very thin angle. I havent detected any problem doing it but have always been very careful to avoid scratching the chamber wall or step into the throat.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

revchuck38, thank you for explaining how to check to see if your bullets are of the proper size. I see people say all the time "be sure your bullets are the right size", but I never knew exactly how to check them. Thank you. I also see that a couple of you have recommended the hardness to be in the 8 - 10 range. If a fellow buys his cast bullets from someone like Montana or Oregon Trail I've seen their advertisements say their bullets are around 15 Brinell hardness. I try to keep my loads around the 700 - 900 f.p.s range, so would the 15 hardness be ok or too hard. This removing lead is a pain in the butt. Once I get it out I want to do all I can to keep it out. Thanks to all for your suggestions. BCM

For softer commercial bullets, I believe that Missouri Bullet Co. has lead bullets with a BHN around 12 or so. They call it their "Cowboy" series. I've used many of their bullets from this line and have always been very pleased.
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    Some bullet companies offer “cowboy” bullets that are cast of a softer alloy. I think Missouri Bullets does; I’ve bought from them and have been pleased with the bullets they make. Their turnaround time has gotten pretty long during COVID, I don’t know what it is now.

User Tag List