Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saloman Speedcross still the go to?

Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    Look at Topo's offerings. Topo and Altra are all I wear because of their wide tow boxes. Altra only offers zero drop, which not everyone likes, but Topo offers zero drop, low drop (3-5mm) and higher drop.
    Checked into Topo, chosing a style at random, no wide shoe size offered.

Same for Altra, just regular sizes, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I wanted to be like all the cool kids in Salomons, but they are incredibly narrow shoes. I have a pair of Keen Targhee III's that work well for me and some others I've seen. Much better for wider feet.
    Checked out the Keens; they have a solid reputation, for sure. Mrs. RJ has a pair of Keens, and quite likes them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I don't have Salomons (nor wide feet) but found this:

salomon.com/de-de/shop-emea/product/speedcross-5-wide.html

Don't know if this "wide" variant is also narrow.
    Thanks, that (Saloman Speedcross Wide) is exactly the one I have my credit card hovering over.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Merrill MOAB GTX shoes, both the low and the mid's. I wear the lows all summer, then switch to the mids in fall and winter. The GTX ones are better than the waterproof ones for keeping your feet dry, and I use them in all sorts of sloppy, slushy stuff until the snow gets to my ankles.
    Thanks! Yep, those Merrill MOABs are the exact shoe I have worn for quite a few years; the ones I have are still serviceable, but the lugs are worn quite a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Shoes can help but you may find that footwork is the answer. We have a lot of gravel at my range and there’s just no good solutions. Deceleration at speed is a skill. Getting going is easy. It’s the stopping on loose surfaces that requires skill. Do you walk on grass the same as you walk on an icy sidewalk? Obviously not. Approach differing terrains different and practice going full speed in walkthrough to test the surface.

For shoes boombas are a good cheap option popular in USPSA.
    Good point on footwork. At 62, my cat-like reflexes are behind me.

I researched Boombas and it seems they stopped making the popular "Trail Shoe" version and a new one has not come out yet. But bookmarked, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Hoka's Trail Running Shoe in wide-The Speedgoat 4

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/mens-trai...525_color=DGGA
    Thanks, will definitely look into those. "Speedgoat" sounds just like what I need lol.

Site Supporter
    @RJ I thought that Topo had started offering wide sizes but must have been thinking about Hoka.

Altra does offer wide in some of their models. https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/wides

The boombahs are always in the clearance section for some reason

https://www.boombah.com/us/mens/foot...ing-shoes.html

Site Supporter
    No 8.5 in the clearance Boombahs. No shoes identified as wides (8.5 EEE is the target) on the website in the pull down menu. I like the colorways very much. I might have to order up a pair for knock around shoes.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Thanks all, much appreciate all the inputs.

Just got done ordering a pair of Saloman Speedcross 5 Wides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Amazon was running some coupon thingy, so the shoes which retail for $129 ended up being $93, plus tax, which helps. They have free returns so if they don't fit, no problem.

Thanks again.

I've never felt my footwear was holding me back, but I am not a GM.

Sad trombone. The Saloman Speed Cross 5 (now in Wide Fit!) arrived today. No worky. Here's a comparison of the SC (right) against my old Merrell Moabs (left). There's like, no comparison.

Name:  IMG_9661.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  100.9 KB

Calling these "wide" shoes; I don't know about that. Maybe compared to what they normally have? I have no idea, really, but after 20 minutes I was like "get these things off me." I searched through for a thinner pair of socks, and even with those they were uncomfortable. My feet were actually tingling when I took them off.

Back to Amazon they go.

Sad really, because they were nice and lightweight, I liked the 5mm lugs with reverse patterns for up and down hill, the speedlace system makes total sense and the new debris shield seems effective. I just don't think the people who designed these had me in mind when they decided on what "wide" meant. Bummer.

Search resumes.

Try this

@RJ

I think I might try soaking them in water and trying this:

https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-Stretche...a-833818506399

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 2.12.22 PM.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  22.6 KB

I don't think you'll commercially find what you're looking for, so you might have to delve into a little bit of creative modification.

FYI, Altras are cut wide normally. Probably wider than the "wide" speedcross

@vcdgrips comment about Trail Running shoes, echoed by several others, led me to order a pair of these Saucony Excursion TR12 trail shoes in 8.5 wide today. I like the open lugs on the bottom and being basically running shoes hopefully are nice and light weight. Plus: Orange.

I'd specced out a pair of mid-height Moab Vent 2's but I thought they might be a bit too heavy. I did like the fact they would hold my ankle stable, though; quite a few soccer games as a yute caused me to turn my ankle over so many times I had to double wrap it all the time just to play.

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  39.9 KB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

User Tag List