Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saloman Speedcross still the go to?

I like the Salomon Speedcross and have a couple pairs of the old Fellraisers. But on the gravel we typically shoot on here, nothing works as well for me as baseball cleats. They last me about a year, and I can buy two for the price of one pair of Salomon.

Note: soccer cleats are a no-go, since they lack front spikes.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I just RO’d the WI Section match, and I’d say it was 2/3 Salomon, 1/3 everything else.

I have two pairs, one mesh and one Goretex. Plus a pair of Inov8 that I got on closeout. Bombas are cheaper and people seem to like them, maybe because there are cheaper. The Adidas trail shoe is pretty aggressive as well, I saw a few of those.

One of my fellow ROs was wearing the Hoka One mid hikers, not to shoot but for RO tasks they were more than adequate, and superbly comfortable with the huge amount of padding.

Site Supporter
    My "running" shoe used to be a Brooks Adrenaline GTS as I supinate and need the stability. I recently bought a pair of Hoka Gaviota 3. They are a game changer in terms of comfort.
    I know they have a fairly wide toe box in their "regulars" and have some in wide as well

Hoka's Trail Running Shoe in wide-The Speedgoat 4

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/mens-trai...525_color=DGGA
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Based on my time w Scouts, the default recommendations for Dad with wide feet were New Balance and Keen given NBs availability of 2E/4E shoes and Keens wider toe box across the line.

I have hiked in a pair of Inov8s and Merrell Moab Ventilators when I was preparing for Philmont. Merrell claims to have wide widths in that shoe as well.

It is true that Salomon now advertised they have wides. Proceed with caution as their normal shoe was definitely on the narrow side such that their wides, I suspect, will come in on the narrow side relatively speaking.

The brand itself is extremely popular in LEO circles as well as both a lifestyle/daily driver and tactical shoe displacing Merrell as the shoe I see the most on agents these days.

Finally, if it matters, Salomon is owned by a mainland China conglomerate.
    Holy crap you went to Philmont?! If you mentioned it before I missed it. Awesome.

I got my Arrowhead badge in 2010, and it was the hardest physical thing I've ever accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like the Salomon Speedcross and have a couple pairs of the old Fellraisers. But on the gravel we typically shoot on here, nothing works as well for me as baseball cleats. They last me about a year, and I can buy two for the price of one pair of Salomon.

Note: soccer cleats are a no-go, since they lack front spikes.
    I have a set of those Adidas baseball cleats and I went back to my trusty Inov8s.

I think while the Adidas have better ultimate grip, the Inov8 were more versatile with regard to non-slip on wood props and stability on fault lines. In addition I get a lot more tactile feedback through my feet with the softer rubber which helps my footwork and foot placement.

Overall I wound up deciding on feel and feedback more than speed if that makes sense.

Yes, I bring at least two pairs of shoes to major matches. The gravel is so deep at my local clubs that a lot of people don't actually RUN. For ninja stuff, I agree. Trail runners FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have a set of those Adidas baseball cleats and I went back to my trusty Inov8s.

I think while the Adidas have better ultimate grip, the Inov8 were more versatile with regard to non-slip on wood props and stability on fault lines. In addition I get a lot more tactile feedback through my feet with the softer rubber which helps my footwork and foot placement.

Overall I wound up deciding on feel and feedback more than speed if that makes sense.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, I bring at least two pairs of shoes to major matches. The gravel is so deep at my local clubs that a lot of people don't actually RUN. For ninja stuff, I agree. Trail runners FTW.
    I wasn’t going to post this lest @RJ gets sucked into MORE hardware to fix software issues, but my passenger floor well has Inov8 for matches, waterproof Inov8 boots for rain/mud, baseball cleats for deep stuff and no wood (rope fault lines some clubs) and Boombahs for practice range stuff.

But I can still get beaten by people in tennis shoes.

Site Supporter
    RJ- Trek 16, Summer of 2014 with my son. He turned 15 on the trail and was rewarded with 2 Butterscotch Puddings!
    73 Miles on the Guide, 100+ with side hikes etc over 10 days in the field. Simply Magical.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

This might be a good time to remind everyone of that great old Solomon thread, that ended up with the x-ray.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Simply Magical.
    Truth.

Trek 2010-0723 here. 68 miles, including Mt. Phillips. 11 days, one hot shower and all the Almond Paste I could eat. For some reason, no one wanted Almond Paste, so it was plentiful in the trade boxes.

Coming down the Tooth on that razorback shale was a trip. I brought two trekking poles and really needed them by that point because I was whipped.

My wife was not impressed with my beard of two weeks, though. And despite several showers at the inward bound area before flying back from ABQ to Orlando, she still said I smelled bad.

Most rewarding outdoor experience I've ever had.

User Tag List