Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Saloman Speedcross still the go to?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Merrill MOAB GTX shoes, both the low and the mid's. I wear the lows all summer, then switch to the mids in fall and winter. The GTX ones are better than the waterproof ones for keeping your feet dry, and I use them in all sorts of sloppy, slushy stuff until the snow gets to my ankles.
    I know it's generally "not cool" to quote oneself, but I didn't want to start a new thread:

I finally wore out my last pair of Merrell's and ordered new ones in December, a pair of MOAB GTX mid (for fall/winter), and a pair of MOAB GTX low (for spring/summer). I wore the mids for a couple months, and have worn the lows for a couple months... and they're awful. I don't know if I'm just old now, or if Merrell has changed the fit. The MOAB's used to be the some of the most comfortable shoes I owned, and now they're killing my feet (both pairs).
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

For the last year I’ve been wearing Salomon Cross Hikes. I started out with the low version, then last fall bought a pair of the mid-heights.

Short version: Skip the mid-heights as there really isn’t any benefit or additional ankle support due to the way the laces are positioned but the Cross Hikes are G2G.

Longer version: They are much improved for range work (and every day wear) than the Speed Cross that I used to wear all the time. The toe box is slightly wider but the biggest difference is the rubber compound they use for the role is a lot more durable than the Speed Cross. The Cross Hike are slightly heavier (hey, it’s supposed to be a hiker not a trail runner), but it’s not like you can feel the difference. I’ve worn them in a lot of conditions and activities, ranging from ever day wear to multi-day matches, to hiking in all kinds of conditions, with and without a 30+ lb pack, and even use them while riding my mtn bike.

I’m thinking my first pair is in need of replacement after 16 months of wear, but that is like twice as much use as I’ve ever gotten out of a pair of Speed Crosses.

Site Supporter
    G

Sorry to hear that. Life is too short and your feet are too important. Dump those Moabs (here, ebay or donate) and get something else that works.

Be safe and well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    G

Sorry to hear that. Life is too short and your feet are too important. Dump those Moabs (here, ebay or donate) and get something else that works.

Be safe and well.
    @vcdgrips I'll hang on to them for sloppy weather, but I'm trying a couple options from the "Barefoots Shoes" thread.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I used to use Salomon Speedcross but have been using baseball cleats for the last 4 years or so. I won't go back to trail running shoes at all. The cleats are superior on almost every USPSA surface except for a wooden platform, and those are rare and usually only a couple steps on or off of them, not long extended movements. The cleats last much longer than trail shoes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I used to use Salomon Speedcross but have been using baseball cleats for the last 4 years or so. I won't go back to trail running shoes at all. The cleats are superior on almost every USPSA surface except for a wooden platform, and those are rare and usually only a couple steps on or off of them, not long extended movements. The cleats last much longer than trail shoes as well.
    Baseball cleats are not ideal on gravel either. It’s mostly gravel in my area so I am not using cleats anymore. I prefer cleats in the desert though

I like lightweight trail shoes, with a 0 drop (or close to it). I'm a cheapskate, but I got a pair of Inov-8 Trailtalon 235 v3s, for $60, from Amazon. Very light, with a 3mm drop.

They're ugly as sin, but $60 is less than half the normal price. The lugs are only 4mm deep, so I'm hoping for a sale on their X-Talon G 210, as they have 8mm lugs.

Those are also ugly as sin, but even lighter, and will match my obnoxious neon shirt and hat!

User Tag List