Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment-Game: The Beast of Gevaudan

Equipment-Game: The Beast of Gevaudan

Being quarantined, I watched the old movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf", which is based on the Beast of Gevaudan-Story. So, according to various historians & authors it could be anything from a serial killer (who uses some kind of animal as a cover up) to several ultra-large wolves, to a free roaming hyena or even lion that killed that many people: A 1987 study estimated there had been 610 attacks, resulting in 500 deaths and 49 injuries; 98 of the victims killed were partly eaten.[1] Other sources claim the animal or animals killed between 60 and 100 adults and children and injured more than 30.[1] The beast was reported killed several times before the attacks finally stopped.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

If you and your two best friends could travel back in time/parallel universe (ala Chrichtons Timeline) and your job, assigned by the King himself, is to bring safety back to the Margeride Mountains of south-central France , which equipment would you choose? Civilian & portable weapons only, no air support, cars, crew served, grenade launchers, etc. I find that interesting as you have to figure (multiple?) four legged and (multiple?) two legged adversaries in.

As ammo availability is not important here (have to bring all my ammo myself), I would take a suppressed 6.5 Grendel (may the DanielDefense5_V4)with 1-10x scope and thermal scope for night. Although most of the attacks happened in bright daylight, for hunting, I guess a NV/thermal combination google ala DTNVS + ECOTI is a must.

This is next level, even for P-F.com and our inherent nerdness.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Being quarantined, I watched the old movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf", which is based on the Beast of Gevaudan-Story. So, according to various historians & authors it could be anything from a serial killer (who uses some kind of animal as a cover up) to several ultra-large wolves, to a free roaming hyena or even lion that killed that many people: A 1987 study estimated there had been 610 attacks, resulting in 500 deaths and 49 injuries; 98 of the victims killed were partly eaten.[1] Other sources claim the animal or animals killed between 60 and 100 adults and children and injured more than 30.[1] The beast was reported killed several times before the attacks finally stopped.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

If you and your two best friends could travel back in time/parallel universe (ala Chrichtons Timeline) and your job, assigned by the King himself, is to bring safety back to the Margeride Mountains of south-central France , which equipment would you choose? Civilian & portable weapons only, no air support, cars, crew served, grenade launchers, etc. I find that interesting as you have to figure (multiple?) four legged and (multiple?) two legged adversaries in.

As ammo availability is not important here (have to bring all my ammo myself), I would take a suppressed 6.5 Grendel (may the DanielDefense5_V4)with 1-10x scope and thermal scope for night. Although most of the attacks happened in bright daylight, for hunting, I guess a NV/thermal combination google ala DTNVS + ECOTI is a must.

6.5 G ? tapered cases in an AR? You gonna die.

sorry, my fault. I meant 6.5 Creedmoor.

As for the nerdness, yep 100% history nerd here. The story really fascinated me as this level of victims was highly unusual for simple wolve/dog attacks. And the eyewitness accounts really point to something else.

But if the nerd level is too high: what would you choose if you were in wildlife service in Africa, patrol mostly alone- and have to factor large predators as well as well armed poachers in? What compromise looks best to you?

My secret weapon would be to bring Jim Corbett and his favorite bearers and trackers. Only half-joking.

Awareness and ability to read the signs, along with the inherent reliability of any well made cartridge-era repeater would be key.
    I'm sure some of the C. 1760 French huntsmen were among the best in their field, but their tools were lacking for the task.

(And if the French Govt had the perspicacity to bring in a few native Canadian hunters and listened to their advice, they'd have gotten the beasts much earlier.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is next level, even for P-F.com and our inherent nerdness.

I know, I love it
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    My secret weapon would be to bring Jim Corbett and his favorite bearers and trackers. Only half-joking.

Awareness and ability to read the signs, along with the inherent reliability of any well made cartridge-era repeater would be key.
    I'm sure some of the C. 1760 French huntsmen were among the best in their field, but their tools were lacking for the task.

(And if the French Govt had the perspicacity to bring in a few native Canadian hunters and listened to their advice, they'd have gotten the beasts much earlier.)
    This is a job for Jim Shockey, duh
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Choosing such a gun is out of my lane. However, I will recommend that your friends be slower than you.

Okay, I'll bite. If I don't have to be concerned with my rifle technology permanently altering the balance of power in Europe, e.g. Napoleon becomes unstoppable and we permanently speak French in the U.S., and you can bring only that which you can carry, I'd go with any iteration of a DMR in 5.56 with a 1x8 variable optic.

On the other hand, if I were worried about the balance of power in Europe, etc., I'd leap forward in technology but not too far, say to the percussion carbine M1819 Hall rifle, or for those up-close lupine encounters, maybe a brace of Colt Dragoon revolvers.

By the way, this would make for a fun movie, but it would have to be 80's fun. You, know, gratuitous nudity, ribald language and a healthy amount of violence.

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies..../NWSCDM05.html
    Three tablets and a solar charger
    Capture wolf-whatever beast
    Use tablets to convince illiterate peasants I'm a wizard or something
    Breed wolf-beast with large dogs to domesticate it.
    Train them for riding.
    Wait a few years
    Ride into the execution of Louis XVI (ok more than a few years) proclaiming that I was sent by God to take vengeance on blasphemers mounted on wolf-dogs
    Be proclaimed Emperor of France, mogg salty Corsican
    Die of 100 different common diseases my body has no resistance to
    Shouldhavebroughtamask.jpg

Credit to Sailor Jerry

User Tag List