Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet some more Hellcat Weirdness

Yet some more Hellcat Weirdness

Ok,.. I couldn't get the gif to work in the preview window, so here's a brief YT clip. (The GIF was a closeup of slide showing the issue but it can still be seen in this clip if you go full screen and pay close attention to the slide right after I'v fired & it cycles,....

This clip is depicting the issue right after firing. After the slide has cycled, and just as I reset the trigger. In the clip you can see that After firing, the slide is not quite returning fully to battery. It's maybe a mm or 3 out of battery until I reset the trigger which is when the slide finishes moving forward that last mm or so. I first noticed a weird,.. shifting? Clicking? sensation as the trigger reset, and when I looked closer at the slide before resetting the trigger was when I saw this little bit of forward movement in the slide. This is weird, Right? Not normal?

This doesn't happen all the time,.. but it's been happening more & more often lately.

I have absolutely NO CLUE what might be causing this.

Full disclosure,.. I just recently noticed this and I haven't yet had a chance to try and identify if it happens only with a particular magazine or certain type of ammo. Any ideas what this issue is, and what might fix it??

Found a GIF workaround,...

Since I just couldn't figure out how to embed the gif,... I realized I could work around it by taking a brief cellphone vid of the gif from my computer.

Here's that close up view,....

The gif was a made from two close up screen grabs of the first vid I posted above. Taken right before and right after Trigger reset. You can clearly see the slide movement I'm referring to.

It wasn’t a Hellcat, but I remember noticing something similar with another striker fired pistol when manipulating it, although only dry. Basically what happened was I would cycle the slide with the trigger pinned to the rear. If I cycled the slide slowly, it’d stop out of battery by a smidge. When I released the trigger, slide finished closing. I only ever noticed this when doing dry work and no other slide slowly, I.e. not just letting it fly forward under spring pressure from fully retracted.

That your Hellcat is doing this live makes me think the RSA may not be strong enough to push the slide that last little bit and it’s hanging on something, perhaps one of the parts involved in the firing pin block and releasing the trigger moves that part out of the way.

Not sure how a Hellcat works but that’s a good way to have an OOB with a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Not sure how a Hellcat works but that’s a good way to have an OOB with a Glock.
    OOB?

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    OOB?
    Out of battery

Inspect and clean the striker channel. If there’s binding of the striker with the slide, you’ll see this behavior of failure to battery + slide movement with trigger resetting.

If a Glock does that, the recoil spring needs replaced. Replace the recoil spring and see what happens.

Fired the hellcat today @ the range. The RTB, Trigger reset thing is definitely not magazine or Ammo type specific. Ran a couple different brands and weight bullets thru it altho its not there consistently every time I fire,.. it did occur several times with ea magazine and/or ammo types.

Before I went today, Altho I didn't do a thorough cleaning of the weapon, I did field strip it and made sure all the rails, slide & barrel were lubricated. So Im at a loss to explain this odd behavior. Guess My next step is to speak to an Armorer about it & find out if its a warrantable issue. 🤷*♂️

@BN. As for the recoil spring suggestion,.. the weapon isn't even a year old yet. Not sure its even had a thousand rounds run thru it yet. (...I put more rounds thru the G19 & PDP than the Hellcat.) If the springs already shot,.. it must be defective.

"@BN. As for the recoil spring suggestion,.. the weapon isn't even a year old yet. Not sure its even had a thousand rounds run thru it yet. (...I put more rounds thru the G19 & PDP than the Hellcat.) If the springs already shot,.. it must be defective."

I know less than zero about The Springfield Hellcat.

However, I caution you to be careful measuring one gun's attributes against another's.

Back when I used to shoot Glock pistols, I shot a LOT of rounds downrange with G26's and G19's (relatively short-barreled pistols). During that time I never experienced any functionality issues which I could contribute to the RSA, and I would guess that I changed those RSA's about every 2500 rounds . . . . just because.

About three years ago I started shooting a CZ RAMI (another short barreled 9mm pistol) and assumed the RSA would operate the same. WRONG. I have found it needs to be replaced about every 750 rounds, but CZ actually recommends replacing it every 500 rounds, so I do.

That's a big difference from the Glock. So what works for your G19 and PDP do not necessarily apply to the Hellcat.

Just sayin'.

User Tag List