View Poll Results: Flat faced triggers, yea or nay?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

11 34.38%
  • Neigh

8 25.00%
  • Mods here are shit

18 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat faced triggers, yay or nay?

Flat faced triggers, yay or nay?

Talking about triggers that have a flat surface on the front.

I always liked the way curved and radiused triggers felt on my finger joints, but looking at the physics of it… it seems that a flat face might help keep forces of the trigger press be “straight back” because you can’t apply lateral pressure to the side of the press.

So even though I don’t like the feel as much, maybe there’s a functional reason to switch on my gaming gun…

I personally made the switch to flat faced triggers and I love em. It's not like curved ones won't make the gun go bang but for me I find that not all flat faced triggers are the same. Ones that have some sort of indexing point for your finger in my opinion are superior. I can put my finger on the trigger the exact same every time. To me it promotes consistency when triggers are not only flat but also have some sort of indexing point.

I think it's user preference. I've tried both and stayed with curved triggers.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

For my purposes I’ve encountered no benefits to a flat faced trigger on pistol. While there may be applications for SAO or fully tensioned SFA pistols, I can’t see a flat trigger working with a TDA due to distance of trigger pull. My feeling is that it’s a fad with heavy groupthink, no different than DI -> piston conversion kits a decade ago. Once the world realizes their fingers are curved, I suspect the fad of flat triggers will disappear with exception of a few competition circles where it probably has a role. My 2c.

I like them on 1911s, they let finger fall where it may along vertical dimension of trigger face without any effect on straight back trigger travel.

I've not found any benefit with pivoting triggers set at duty / carry weights and I still prefer curved on those guns. No small reason why I bought 365 vs 365x or xl. No experience with them on gaming guns.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

It depends. The 365XL "flat face" increases trigger reach, and, for me, exaggerates the felt arc of movement. The flat face on the Shield Plus is much mo bettah. Most GLOCK flat face triggers are improvements, but not worth the chance of inactivating system safeties.

Rifles yay pistols nay

I do not see how a flat face would lessen the probability of lateral forces being applied. The hard corner just might increase the probability of lateral force, with the hard edge biting into the surface of the index finger’s skin, depending upon the position of the finger.

Assuming the same measurements, at the centers of the trigger faces, a flat trigger face also means a longer reach than does a rounded trigger, which will affect shooters with relatively short fingers.

Personally, I like a flat face, with 1911 triggers, and a rounded face with all other triggers.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-19-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

The only way to know for sure is for the individual shooter to fire the same course of fire with the same gun back to back with flat trigger and curved trigger and see what difference there is.

I tried a flat face trigger made zero difference is speed or accuracy and I didn't care for the feel of the flat trigger face. I do however prefer the slightly flat or milder curve trigger shoe of the CZ P10 or the Beretta APX trigger shoe to standard Glock smooth or grooved trigger shoes but that is personal preference. None seem to have any effect on shooting performance. Note all guns compared are striker fired polymer guns with pivoting trigger design NOT 1911 straight pull, DA/SA,DAO types.

I can give or take, it's a less important factor than other attributes of the trigger system.

I've come to like the overwatch flat trigger on one of my glocks, but it is probably as just much or more about the overall trigger mechanics and feel as it is the flat face (it is, after all, relatively short and light and that makes any trigger seem easier to shoot).

I think flat makes more sense the shorter the stroke of trigger travel is. We're all about moving the trigger straight and flat to the rear, but our finger doesn't travel in a straight line. It's hinged in multiple points and travels in a bit of an arc, even if you're isolating it down to the minimal movement to be as straight as possible. If your finger and the trigger were both perfectly inelastic surfaces, the angle of contact between the two would be constantly changing. Over a long trigger pull, the normal force between the two could end up with all sorts of side vectors not directly in line with the bore. In that case, one think of the hypothetically ideal curved trigger face as sort of being cammed to the finger to so the force is vectoring correctly along its whole path as the contact point is changing its angle of incidence throughout a long movement in all 3 dimensions. . This is a lot more obvious in longer, heavier trigger pulls like a double action. Now, in practice, most people have swishy meat on their finger, and everyone's fingers are a wide range of shapes and sizes, so none of that really works out. With a short trigger, those directional forces don't change as much over the stroke, so the flat face benefits by being more forgiving of placement of other finger. Once the stroke gets longer, the wrap around effect of the longer pull means it doesn't do as much good.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List