Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Reduced power 10mm loads for self defense

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Service caliber pistols are not a good choice when it comes to actually stopping a dangerous animal charge. They have a better track record than magnum caliber revolvers in defensive usage against dangerous animals. This comes down to the ability to actually get the pistol out, on target and firing, which is easier with service caliber pistols and often more familiar to most users. When pistols have failed the majority of the time they didn't clear the holster.

North American dangerous game charging through a hail of bullets to drag down people is mostly a myth. People anthropomorphize animals. A bear doesn't know what a gun is. If it gets hit, it might turn and charge the nearest threat it sees but if noise and pain keep coming from that direction it's going to flee if you let it.

Even with a proper caliber rifle for bear hunting a head on shot is a poor shot and most guides will not let you take that shot unless they know you because there's too much chance of deflection, and that's if you have a shot at the sternum which you won't on a charging animal. This is with properly constructed hunting bullets coming from a rifle. So the idea that even a hardcast bullet coming from a service caliber handgun is going to physically stop a charge is unlikely unless the CNS is hit, and most quality ammunition can penetrate a bear skull if it hits at the right angle.

So the ammunition type isn't likely to make much difference on whether a charge is turned. It could, but it's not worth clearing a chamber over. Where it comes into play is on subsequent shots while the animal is whirling on whatever bit them or both of you are moving and it's getting hit again and again. In that situation proper bullet selection turns a single lung hit and an animal slowly dying and dangerous to passersby into a double lung hit and a quickly dead animal. That's important to the guy that has to go into the alders and make sure it's dead or to the family hiking nearby. It's important to the animal too.
    Makes sense but I’ve never heard that a charging animal was that prone to turning away like that if it was hit more than once. I’ve never been in the situation and I hope I never am to find out like these two…Lol.

But even though your saying there would be no difference between a penetrating round and an expanding round from a handgun, a round meant to penetrate wouldn’t at least be a little bit better than an expanding round meant more for a human?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    But even though your saying there would be no difference between a penetrating round and an expanding round from a handgun, a round meant to penetrate wouldn’t at least be a little bit better than an expanding round meant more for a human?
    There's no question that they're better, the question is how much time to spend on what. Most people would be better served worrying more about getting their weapon out and their rounds on target reliably same as humans. HST and hardcast do the same thing to the air.

There's no question that they're better, the question is how much time to spend on what. Most people would be better served worrying more about getting their weapon out and their rounds on target reliably same as humans. HST and hardcast do the same thing to the air.
    Makes sense. It’s kind of like how, if you can shoot really well with a 9 mm and couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn with a 44 magnum that, the 9 mm will probably be the much better choice for you since you can hit with it and put multiple shots where you’re aiming even though the 9mil doesn’t even hold a candle to the 44 mag.

But what, there’s been people who was found later on mauled to death by a bear with their handgun still in their holster? I guess I could see how that would be a lot more common than one would think because who knows, there’s probably a lot of people out there that just don’t give these animals respect and probably just end up assuming way too late that they can get that close to them and they’re not gonna charge. Especially if they got cubs.

Myself personally, unless I was being stalked, if I’m out in the woods and I come across a bear that I see before it sees me, if I think I might be too close my gun would already be out of the holster long before hopefully when that Bear ever decided to charge me.

Makes sense. It’s kind of like how, if you can shoot really well with a 9 mm and couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn with a 44 magnum that, the 9 mm will probably be the much better choice for you since you can hit with it and put multiple shots where you’re aiming even though the 9mil doesn’t even hold a candle to the 44 mag.

But what, there’s been people who was found later on mauled to death by a bear with their handgun still in their holster? I guess I could see how that would be a lot more common than one would think because who knows, there’s probably a lot of people out there that just don’t give these animals respect and probably just end up assuming way too late that they can get that close to them and they’re not gonna charge. Especially if they got cubs.

Myself personally, unless I was being stalked, if I’m out in the woods and I come across a bear that I see before it sees me, if I think I might be too close my gun would already be out of the holster long before hopefully when that Bear ever decided to charge me.

It's a lot more common for it to be sudden than both of you having time to contemplate what you're going to do.
    https://www.adn.com/wildlife/article/xg/2014/11/07/

Reduced power 10mm loads for self defense

It's a lot more common for it to be sudden than both of you having time to contemplate what you're going to do.
    https://www.adn.com/wildlife/article/xg/2014/11/07/
    That’s true. You just never know if the bear you encounter smelled you or that blood trail you’re leaving behind from your fresh kill five minutes ago or if it is just flat out not interested in you at all unless except if you do something stupid like trying to get to close to it.

Just thought I’d share this. It’s over in the southeastern part of Oklahoma.

Just thought I’d share this. It’s over in the southeastern part of Oklahoma.

Gosh, a bear that big — it must have wandered over from Texas.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List