Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thumb Safety Discussion

Thumb Safety Discussion

I like ‘em! But they’ve got to be done right, and I think that only a few really are.

Motivating pictures. I just got some Glocks back from the ‘smith, and drug then to class the very next day, because what’s a developmental schedule if you aren’t screaming at the end of it?

Name:  9EC30E92-4051-4A55-85E2-CAFCBE12260C.jpeg
Views: 1065
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  7A0ECB2B-F435-4989-BC45-624D4FD4AF81.jpeg
Views: 1040
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  4CAF9373-E7F7-4628-B7AF-7C061C8A7F7D.jpeg
Views: 1025
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  3B93AE84-EAC5-482B-9E19-3224C1BECE45.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  51.2 KB

I’m happy with that, but it took a while to get there. I had first thought, “hey no problem, D&L enhanced levers on a Cominolli system w/ a SCD, and I am good to go!”

Not so. No criticisms, at all, of either Mr. Cominolli or Mr. Lauck (who provide excellent service & communication to customers!) but my problem was the “off-safe position” of the safety. For me, with Glocks, it needs to be close to the slide/frame interface, and parallel to that slide-frame line. The stock Cominolli points down in off-safe, no good for me, and it turned out that the stock D&L, while parallel, was too low. I just couldn’t get my left hand on the gun.

But that’s why we have gunsmiths, yes? 1911s are kind of the world’s standard for thumb safety ergonomics, and the M&P (particularly the .45) is excellent. I get along wonderfully with the USP levers, I’m ok with the P30, am suspicious of the P320, I have no experience with the CZ or SIG P22X, and strongly doubt kind of anyone else.

I tried stuff, but I was also nomadic, which hurts experimental gunsmithing. One guy put shelves on the Cominollis- great, but the angles were still wrong. Another guy got the “parallel-slide-frame-safety, and high enough” down, but those parts were delicate, and too wide. The last guy did great. I can’t imagine ambidexterity, but I’d love to experience it.

I like a thumb safety, but I’d rather nothing than a crummy one. How about ya’ll?
    Last edited by Bergeron; 09-17-2021 at 09:53 PM.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Based only on the pics it looks like you ended up with an excellent solution!
    How's the action? Crisp or mushy?

Mushy!

No perfect solutions, and I'll say that "action feel" doesn't matter much to me. I smash hard when I off-safe, and when I on safe. You should hopefully be able to see the drag marks on the frames. They don't "click-click", but so much as "slide-thunk" into place. I'm happy with that.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Mushy!

No perfect solutions, and I'll say that "action feel" doesn't matter much to me. I smash hard when I off-safe, and when I on safe. You should hopefully be able to see the drag marks on the frames. They don't "click-click", but so much as "slide-thunk" into place. I'm happy with that.
    For me the issue would be less the feel and more about whether it was secure enough to stay on safe when carried.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    For me the issue would be less the feel and more about whether it was secure enough to stay on safe when carried.
    Kinda seems like an escalator becoming stairs thing unless I missed something in the design.

Arrow

An excellent point. I had the thumb safety smith also modify my holsters to retain the thumb safety in the “on-safe” position. I intend to neither take chances nor miss out on the benefits:

Name:  37F8AA3A-7873-4EAA-87B4-22295092D88F.jpeg
Views: 993
Size:  75.7 KB

Holsters are Dale Fricke, G34 w/TLR-8AG.

I’d do terrible things for an OEM ambi thumb safety solution, but I can dream on.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Kinda seems like an escalator becoming stairs thing unless I missed something in the design.
    Since it's a Glock, then yes... Off safe it's just a stock Glock.

Site Supporter
    How do you like these vs the M&P safety? You mentioned the .45, is the safety better on that vs other M&Ps?

These do look good, and it make me wish even more that Glock would do something safety wise.

The M&P is ambi, which I like better than the single-side that I have. Other than that, the shapes and locations feel pretty similar. Maybe for the M&P .45, it's the frame size as well as the safeties. My understanding is that Ernest Langdon played an important role in the M&P .45 thumb safety design.

For using the Glocks in class, the safeties were nothing I had to really consciously think about manipulating. They went off as I built my grip, and on as I broke my grip. Holstering a thumb safety Glock with a SCD is nice.

Site Supporter
    Pardon the slight drift…I’ve got two M&P45s with thumb safeties and came up on 1911s, and never really understood the complaints about the M&P safeties. I’ve never used the 9x19/.40 version with thumb safeties, though.

User Tag List