Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Safety Discussion

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Yes I did work on this a bit but stopped after I considered the long term affects of thousands and thousands of rounds beating up my thumb joint. Ultimately I gave up on the thumb safety quest and am back to Glock/SCD.
    That’s kind of the debate I’m constantly in. If I ever return to striker fired, it will be either Glock or M&P.

The M&P has a lot of things I like, and does have an ok TS option, but not a great one. Not for me anyway.

The Glock has endless support, NY triggers for those like me and the SCD. However, I would rather have a good TS and I have no idea if SCDs will be produced again.

Site Supporter
    Handled a Ruger American with a thumb safety. While I might skip the Ruger auto, the thumb safety was well done.

If Glock only did one. It even felt better than the M&P in my limited time with the Ruger.

Liking thumb safeties is akin to liking double action, nowadays. There’s a few quality choices, but it’s not the standard, and it’ll never be as popular or as intensely supported.

My first pistol was a USP9F, that I carried de-cocked and on-safe 15 years back. I imagine I might have difference preferences now if I had gotten a circa-2005 Gen3 Glock 17 and built years of habits and experience that way, instead.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Yes I did work on this a bit but stopped after I considered the long term affects of thousands and thousands of rounds beating up my thumb joint. Ultimately I gave up on the thumb safety quest and am back to Glock/SCD.
    I've had pain/discomfort in my thumb joints with some thumb safeties. I've been taught "ride the safety, ride the safety!!!"

Recently saw a video on the Wilson Combat YouTube channel where they talked about the benefits of a low thumb grip, completely off the safety. One of the big benefits is that it makes it much easier to deactivate the grip safety, and that's an issue I've has with many 1911s.

It's got me rethinking trying 1911s again and using a low thumb grip. That should also reduce any discomfort from the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I've had pain/discomfort in my thumb joints with some thumb safeties. I've been taught "ride the safety, ride the safety!!!"

Recently saw a video on the Wilson Combat YouTube channel where they talked about the benefits of a low thumb grip, completely off the safety. One of the big benefits is that it makes it much easier to deactivate the grip safety, and that's an issue I've has with many 1911s.

It's got me rethinking trying 1911s again and using a low thumb grip. That should also reduce any discomfort from the safety.
    or pick up a wilson edc x9 I never had an issue engaging the grip safety during range sessions or matches but once i started doing force on force it wasn't uncommon to not get that perfect master grip resulting in the safety not being all the way engaged. The Wilson was a great(although expensive ) solution that made me switch back to 1911"s for carry from Glocks with Cominolli safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That’s kind of the debate I’m constantly in. If I ever return to striker fired, it will be either Glock or M&P.

The M&P has a lot of things I like, and does have an ok TS option, but not a great one. Not for me anyway.

The Glock has endless support, NY triggers for those like me and the SCD. However, I would rather have a good TS and I have no idea if SCDs will be produced again.

Erm, I’ve been out of the loop around here for a bit, but SCDs aren’t being produced anymore? When did that happen and why?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Erm, I’ve been out of the loop around here for a bit, but SCDs aren’t being produced anymore? When did that happen and why?
    I don’t know that they are not, but the man behind the SCD has not been active here for a while, and there is not much response from his website.

He’s a super nice guy, who does put the customer first and will do the right thing, so I’m sure there is a good reason for all of this, but still, there is no real way to know about the future of the SCD at this time.

It’s been posted that he’s doing well, which is the most important thing, and I’m sure we will get news about the SCD. Just don’t know when.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I don’t know that they are not, but the man behind the SCD has not been active here for a while, and there is not much response from his website.

He’s a super nice guy, who does put the customer first and will do the right thing, so I’m sure there is a good reason for all of this, but still, there is no real way to know about the future of the SCD at this time.

It’s been posted that he’s doing well, which is the most important thing, and I’m sure we will get news about the SCD. Just don’t know when.
    Ok, fair enough. I just wasn’t sure if there was a major announcement that went out or whatever. The site lists all options as sold out with no indication of when stock will be replenished. It’s a small company obviously and if he’s busy with real life things then it is what it is. Such is life.

The concept of the SCD was the thing that got me thinking about the overall safety view of carrying a pistol and what goes into that. I know carrying a Glock without one can be safe, but I also fully acknowledge that it’s a system that requires the end user to be more aware more of the time and is less forgiving of being human. These days I much prefer having a thumb safety, an external hammer I can thumb, or a completely DAO option to carry than just about anything striker fired without any external stimuli.

Yeah, the striker gun without SCD is my least favorite, from a safety and holstering perspective, and the thumb-safety-plus-hammer/SCD is my favorite, on the other end of that spectrum.

Lots of very smart (smarter than me) and capable (more capable than me) people make excellent arguments for pistols without thumb safeties, and I do not wan to argue with them, at all. My sister has a SCD G19.4 that she is totally satisfied with, and that really is enough. But.

But I started with an excellent thumb safety gun- a USP. I then went into 1911s, and I'll always keep and have several of them. I still want to be a part of and experience the modern, polymer-lightweight, double-stack and dotted 9mm pistol, while retaining all this stuff. The USP is still relevant, the P30 would be an excellent solution, and I do find the P229 SAO interesting- but. The Glock ecosystem/universe is the most extensive-by far, and I still want to have rimfire slides, easy magazine and holster availability, and just general third party support. So.

I think I found a solution that for the thumb safety that I can live with. I'd love it if the concept could grow to ambidexterity, but I'd rather just own and shoot these guns and go experiment with other stuff for a while (I've got a desk loaded down with almost-everything for a cool PCC, and I really want a stupid-big-bore AK) while enjoying these guns.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Yeah, the striker gun without SCD is my least favorite, from a safety and holstering perspective, and the thumb-safety-plus-hammer/SCD is my favorite, on the other end of that spectrum.

Lots of very smart (smarter than me) and capable (more capable than me) people make excellent arguments for pistols without thumb safeties, and I do not wan to argue with them, at all. My sister has a SCD G19.4 that she is totally satisfied with, and that really is enough. But.

But I started with an excellent thumb safety gun- a USP. I then went into 1911s, and I'll always keep and have several of them. I still want to be a part of and experience the modern, polymer-lightweight, double-stack and dotted 9mm pistol, while retaining all this stuff. The USP is still relevant, the P30 would be an excellent solution, and I do find the P229 SAO interesting- but. The Glock ecosystem/universe is the most extensive-by far, and I still want to have rimfire slides, easy magazine and holster availability, and just general third party support. So.

I think I found a solution that for the thumb safety that I can live with. I'd love it if the concept could grow to ambidexterity, but I'd rather just own and shoot these guns and go experiment with other stuff for a while (I've got a desk loaded down with almost-everything for a cool PCC, and I really want a stupid-big-bore AK) while enjoying these guns.
    You had to jump through many hoops to get what you wanted but you did it and it looks to be done right. I have zero doubt that if what you have right there was easily available to the rest of us that it would be very popular.

User Tag List