Thread: Lead wadcutter's for Airlite Ti J Frame?

Site Supporter

Lead wadcutter's for Airlite Ti J Frame?

Anyone use lead wadcutter's in an Airlite J Frame with a Ti cylinder? I understand jacketed bullets are recommended due to the crimp holding up to recoil. But 148gr wadcutter's don't have a lot of recoil. Anyone have any experience with this?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd be concerned about leading and the abrasive or chemically active cleaning methods required to remove the lead if that happens. Would definitely stick with plated wadcutters in a Ti cylinder. I haven't had a Ti cylinder leaded, but I've definitely had some stainless cylinders leaded, and wouldn't want it with the Ti.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Anyone use lead wadcutter's in an Airlite J Frame with a Ti cylinder? I understand jacketed bullets are recommended due to the crimp holding up to recoil. But 148gr wadcutter's don't have a lot of recoil. Anyone have any experience with this?
    A strong crimp can be applied to cast wadcutters using a crimp groove provided on some or crimping into a grease groove which would require seating the bullet out somewhat farther. Since wadcutters are seated deep into the case, this extra depth provides additional bullet pull. I can't see how wadcutter bullets would be a problem. I would not worry about leading but I'm not as particular as I once was.

FWIW, I’ve asked Darryl Bolke on Instagram what load he uses in his 340pd and he replied 148 gr. Federal match wadcutters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    FWIW, I’ve asked Darryl Bolke on Instagram what load he uses in his 340pd and he replied 148 gr. Federal match wadcutters.
    Thanks, trying to find a couple boxes is proving impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Thanks, trying to find a couple boxes is proving impossible.
    Same. Luckily I have a small stash but Ive been on a few online waiting lists for months, Target sports usa since feb 2020.

340PD wadcutters

I tried factory wadcutters in my 340PD and the point of impact was so far off as to be unbelievable.. I have shot a considerable amount of .357 Short barrel gold dots from this Airlite and have the front sight adjusted to these rounds..I have found the 38special outdoorsman from Buffalo bore is reasonably close to the gold dots on the target, these two rounds have been my go to for a good long while. But..I'm very keen on the full wadcutter idea, I'd like a gas checked wadcutter that I can push to near 950+. I might need to dust of the Dillon and put on my thinking cap. And on the leading, I haven't shot a lot of lead out of this titanium cylinder but when I have the clean up was not bad, after 20-30 lead rounds I fire a cylinder of jacketed, I know some might not like this but it seems to work fine with low round counts its not like doing it after 500 rounds fouled with lead..I'm not too worried about getting it like new and just use a plastic brush on the cylinder with Hoppes Elite or Mpro7. Its a tool and I tear it down every couple years to clean off inside the cylinder where the gas pushes the crud, so far no lead problems. I do give it a drop of oil right in front of the cylinder after every outing to wick in on the bearng surface inside, so far this seems good.
    Last edited by Michpatriot; 10-01-2021 at 09:06 PM.

Generally speaking, my experience with lead wadcutters is leading around the forcing cone and barrel rifling. I know I am stating the obvious. I mention this in the light of how does one clean this area. I have a 340PD as well. Back in the day, I used a Lewis Lead Remover tool to clean the forcing cone. It was quick and effective. Cleaning the bore for me involved soaking the bore with a solvent for a few minutes, scrub with a brass brush, then dry patches. Repeat until patches come out clean. Fast forward to today. With the coating on the cylinder of the 340PD I just wet a patch with some CLP and rub down the outside surface. Wet patch down the charge holes of the cylinder. Then rub with a dry patch where the CLP was applied. The pistol is clean but doesn't look like it just left the factory. I use Break Free CLP.

With my 340PD, I just run JHP or TMJ factory ammo in the revolver. I don't shoot it that much.
    Last edited by JAH 3rd; 10-02-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    Former member LSP972 (seemed like a great guy, may he rest in peace) recommended only jacketed bullets for the titanium guns in this thread, when I inquired about cleaning my 340 pd.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?12282-340-PD

User Tag List