Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Minneapolis police changed after the George Floyd incident

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (And I wasn't too thrilled with their cops who I nearly got into a gunfight with either.)
    You can't not tell this story.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    You can't not tell this story.
    '

I've told it before...but essentially, we had an "informant" in the Hartford area who reported that his life was being threatened by someone for reasons I no longer remember.

We set up an op at a location in Hartford, and I was his minder.

(Unbeknownst to us, the sick SOB had also contacted Hartford P.D. and reported something similar with the intent of creating mayhem.)

The guy went to the john in the location and I was at a urinal with a gun in my hand rather than the other tool, when a few guys burst in, with guns showing, but no one announced who they were.

I thought they were there to cap the informant, and I had a bead on the head of their ringleader, (their sergeant as it turns out), when someone had the presence of mind to finally announce. How no one got killed that day, I don't know. I pondered it over many sullen shots of tequila that night.

Mistakes were made on both sides, but I have never forgiven their failure to identify themselves. And when the sergeant tried to laugh it off, I had to be physically restrained.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

'

I've told it before...but essentially, we had an "informant" in the Hartford area who reported that his life was being threatened by someone for reasons I no longer remember.

(Unbeknownst to us, the sick SOB had also contacted Hartford P.D. and reported something similar with the intent of creating mayhem.)

The guy went to the john in the location and I was at a urinal with a gun in my hand rather than the other tool, when a few guys burst in, with guns showing, but no one announced who they were.

I thought they were there to cap the informant, and I had a bead on the head of their ringleader, (their sergeant as it turns out), when someone had the presence of mind to finally announce. How no one got killed that day, I don't know. I pondered it over many sullen shots of tequila that night.

Mistakes were made on both sides, but I have never forgiven their failure to identify themselves. And when the sergeant tried to laugh it off, I had to be physically restrained.
    I absolutely remember that story. At least you looked good doing it, armed as you were with a snub model 15, IIRC, yes?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What's that mean? It's not the military, you can't discipline me for quitting.
    Yeah, color me confused as well. I cant quit? Cant retire when my time is up? Like BBL said, it ain't the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I absolutely remember that story. At least you looked good doing it, armed as you were with a snub model 15, IIRC, yes?
    I don't think I'd have had time for a reload. (It would have been the 2" Model 15 or the 36. I carried both, don't remember which one I had with me, or both.)

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    How can a PD implement a stop loss?
    Different government, different laws/rules for essential personnel.

For instance at my job, I can actually get in trouble for walking out. I am not legally allowed to drop my gun and badge on my supervisors desk, tell him I'm quitting, and leave. There's a bureaucratic process we have to go through to resign and I'm under the impression that technically the US Gov't can tell me no, though that's probably never happened outside of extreme circumstances and they can go after people for failing to go through that process.

We had an agent lose her shit and Irish Goodbye the agency down in Miami. I'm not sure if the Department ever went after her for it, but suffice to say at the very least she will never hold a USG job or security clearance ever again.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

'

We had a central “clearinghouse” you could call if you were conducting an operation in your city or a neighboring one where you’d give the location/time (almost always an hour before it started for us) you were doing it. The problem was narcs are paranoid about disclosing this stuff. Assuming agencies did this the duty Officer would tell you hmmm City X PD is doing one there too. The idea was to prevent bad things like that. Was there something similar for you?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Was it NYPD that had so many eligible Officers trying to retire they were limiting the number of Officers per day who could turn in their paperwork by forcing them to make appointments with HR? Then the daily number of appointments available was 8-10 IIRC. There was a months long back up.

ETA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-amid-400.html
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    We had a central “clearinghouse” you could call if you were conducting an operation in your city or a neighboring one where you’d give the location/time (almost always an hour before it started for us) you were doing it. The problem was narcs are paranoid about disclosing this stuff. Assuming agencies did this the duty Officer would tell you hmmm City X PD is doing one there too. The idea was to prevent bad things like that. Was there something similar for you?
    I remember such notifications later on, but my recollection, (rightly or wrongly), is that they did not make a report to the locals for one reason or another, and that was on my outfit.

I know that we would do so in South FL fairly regularly unless there was a reason not to get them involved. Sometimes we'd have to just do it on the fly while doing lengthy surveillances to keep patrol units from bracing us and bringing attention.

It is unfortunate that better coordination was lacking back in the day.

I know that we would do so in South FL fairly regularly unless there was a reason not to get them involved.
    What, like dudes being on payroll?

When working organized crime in NYC, we couldn't ever notify NYPD, because practically everywhere we went we knew of officers in that precinct on someone's payroll. Even the NYPD OC unit was leaky as a sieve, and we couldn't tell them about warrants until we were already set up on the target.

So, yeah, mistaken run-ins with patrol units and blue-on-blue was something that even today we would talk about at the brief; "good guy halo", can't tell the units in the area we were there, etc. Could all end poorly if the snowball starts rolling down the mountain.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List