Thread: Grips panel question for VP9/P30 folks

Grips panel question for VP9/P30 folks

I'm having a heck of a time not interfering with the slide stop (holding it down). I seem to have failure to lock open after the last round at least 70% of the time. I haven't had a single inadvertent engagement of the slide stop (slide lock back with rounds still in the mag) so it's all downward pressure.

Mind you I'm right handed and wear either an XL or L in rubber glove as a reference point.

So far I've tried:
    -Medium left
    -Medium back
    -Medium right

-Medium left
    -Medium back
    -Large right

-Medium left
    -Large back
    -Large right

-Small left
    -Large back
    -Small right

...and now I have it setup:

-Large left
    -Large back
    -Large right

I've tried my old SIG grip (right thumb over left hand thumb joint) and I'm still hitting either the Ambi side or the strong left side.

I like most things about the gun, but this is driving me nuts. Is there an easy way to lose the ambi side? Any thoughts on a grip setup?

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I'm having a heck of a time not interfering with the slide stop (holding it down). I seem to have failure to lock open after the last round at least 70% of the time. I haven't had a single inadvertent engagement of the slide stop (slide lock back with rounds still in the mag) so it's all downward pressure.

Mind you I'm right handed and wear either an XL or L in rubber glove as a reference point.

So far I've tried:
    -Medium left
    -Medium back
    -Medium right

-Medium left
    -Medium back
    -Large right

-Medium left
    -Large back
    -Large right

-Small left
    -Large back
    -Small right

...and now I have it setup:

-Large left
    -Large back
    -Large right

I've tried my old SIG grip (right thumb over left hand thumb joint) and I'm still hitting either the Ambi side or the strong left side.

I like most things about the gun, but this is driving me nuts. Is there an easy way to lose the ambi side? Any thoughts on a grip setup?

Any suggestions?
    The easiest fix is to replace the stock slide stop with the shorter version. Its been discussed in another thread but i am headed out the door. I had the same problem, now I don't.

I had the same issue (I wear XL gloves)...moving to all large panels all around cured it for me. Well, so far

The P30S levers are definitely the way to go otherwise; you should be able to find them at HKParts or Midwest Gun Works. The HK part numbers you want are 227722 and 227723. I ordered mine from Midwest Gun Works, but they appear to be out of stock..

All large panels plus the P30S levers should for sure take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    The easiest fix is to replace the stock slide stop with the shorter version. Its been discussed in another thread but i am headed out the door. I had the same problem, now I don't.
    Same. Not sure about the VP9, but on the P30, shorter left slide release is the answer.

https://hkparts.net/product/slide-re...rty-p2487.htm/

After research, empirical use and an instructor's observation and feedback, the final grip setup for my VP40 is Small backstrap, Large left panel and Small right panel; I adopted the same for my P30L. That's worked well for the past 2-3 years on both guns.

I've had no issues with the slide stop regardless of the backstrap/side panel configurations on either pistol.

Best, Jon

I also have size large hands. Currently I've stuck the longest with large side panels and a medium backstrap. Personally, I'm not a fan of the large backstrap on either the P30 or VP series since it feels to me like a large tumor low in the palm. The problem for large hands on these guns, as I see it, is lack of surface area mostly on the side panels. If someone made something like a grip force adapter to add a bit of thickness in the grip arch area, I think that combined with the large backstrap would help quite a bit for those with larger hands. That or a custom backstrap more like the P2K XL backstraps that extend to the grip arch area.

On the VP9, there's no way to leave the right side slide release lever off like you can on the P30. Instead, some people cut the lever off like this (not my pic):

Name:  1d605cafbe6df3b6cf1c61b609f980a1.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  65.0 KB
    Original HKPro thread

For the P30, I just remove the right slide release lever entirely. They're not technically needed, and the guns function just fine without them. Personally, I'm not a fan of those as they have sort of a sloppy fitment anyways, move around a bit, and can make some noise. Here are the factory slide release lever options:

Slim (#227722): HK, MGW, Numrich, HK Parts

This one is a little slimmer than stock, and it's also a bit shorter. While I haven't used these, I have a stock one that was cut down to similar dimensions. I found that improved the issue, but I'd still get either premature lock back or failure to lock back maybe 10-20% of the time.

Slim & Short (#227705): HK Parts. HK doesn't list it on their site, but you should still be able to order it from them directly.

Name:  IMG_20200713_075910_tn.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  47.9 KB

This is slimmer and MUCH shorter than stock. This is what I run currently and have zero issues with lockback. Definitely harder to hit, but just like glancing at the magwell while reloading, I find that if I take a quick glance and am deliberate I can still drop the slide with my support thumb just fine. I would guess that most people probably won't like this one, so I'd probably suggest trying the slim one above first.

The stock P30 lever can be convincingly shortened with a steady hand, a few cups of coffee, and a dremel. Ample purchase for weak hand release of the lever, and adequate enough for the strong hand thumb without shifting grip (for me). I ditched the right side lever completely.

Name:  E0B0BE2D-883F-4458-B04D-67715B7B5BDB.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  60.7 KB

P30S slide stop on my P30L as well.

This is one thing that’s kind of infuriating. HK used to get the slide stuff right (USP, P2000). It was Sig that was screwing THAT up. Then all of a sudden HK decides to screw up the slight stop in newer models.

User Tag List