Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry your gear

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    This has been discussed in other subsections, but I find gym to be the hardest place to conceal. Less support from gym clothes, more exposure chances with vigorous movements. I've not tried the newer options like the Enigma but I dunno how it will work with deep squats etc. Off body carry in a gym bag is the only way that I can do it reliably.
    Could always throw a Chekhov .25 in your underwear.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I wear a belt under my shorts and carry a 442 AIWB. Works fine.

I mostly work out at home before heading to the office these days and just keep a handgun within arms reach. If I had to work out at a public gym, I’d probably look at a combination of a 1.5 stack 9mm like the P365 or Shield Plus and either a Phlster Enigma or a Mastermind Tactics Covert belt under my gym shorts. I’ve gone for 6 mile runs with an AIWB G19 or G26 and done burpees with an AIWB G19. It’s not super comfortable but it’s not too much of a hassle. I can only imagine a smaller gun using one of these concealment systems would be even more comfortable.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Heres my take. I walk around most of the time in outdoorsy clothing. EB First ascent guide pants or shorts are favorites. I also like the Patagonia water shorts. Both have belt loops and are suited to doing lots of physically active things including water sports. A bio-thane belt like the First Spear Line One belt is equally at home in the water. The holsters most often used are the DSG Orion for a G19/G26 or a JMCK wing claw with DCC clips. Is it reasonable to believe that if an ensemble is comfortable for daily and sporting wear it should also work in the training environment?

I believe that it is. I discovered that this same set up works equally well at the mat room as well as the gym! There is no compromise with mobility in the matroom. A proof of concept experiment was done with the gear and a weighted blue gun in G26 form and a live G43. With a liner shirt and a baggier over t-shirt there were not a lot of concealment issues. The holsters kept their positions through several workouts selected for their movement. (Crossfit Karen, Dianne, and Fran) There were no retention issues. There were no comfort issues even when squatting deep or doing burpees. The only concealment issue was when doing flat bench presses and handstand pushups. A snug fitting tech shirt over the gun but under the t-shirt is a fix for the flat bench.I don't do really long runs. This system works comfortably for a 2 mi PT run. All of the gear is able to be de-funked by washing with soap and water.

When it comes to gun selection for all purpose daily carry when not doing work stuff, the G26 is a great (for me) choice. I think I've shared my reasoning before. For the gym, the G43 holds a slight advantage. Thinness makes a difference for me here and I often don't even feel the weight of the gun during the workout.

This is my PT system. It allows me to have a "real" gun in the gym and allows me to have familiar gear in the event it is needed .
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Outside my lane as I have only ever been to climbing gyms with Scouts.

My thoughts are these. Hppy to be educated by those with more education/training/experience in this realm.

Presuming you are not in violation of applicable law and visual exposure would be embarrassing without being a law violation:

Closed loop IWB/AIWB with a thumb break

Purposed designed Fanny Pack

Hill People Gear Chest Pack

Appropriate Cover Garment of Wicking Material
    The problem here is that anything on the belt line probably won't work, because you will be taking falls, and there will a lot of force on the harness over the hips; that will drive the gun into your body, potentially dangerously, I would think. As for fanny packs and chest packs, that would be extremely out of place; people simply don't do that, because what would you keep in there that would make any sense? There's also still some issue of impacts, as you fall and slam into a volume or wall. And none of those are viable once you get onto the bouldering wall, where most gyms will strictly prevent you from carrying anything rigid on the body due to safety concerns; the signs at my gym tell you to take off your phone, keys, knives, climbing harness, etc.

I was honestly just being snarky. I'm comfortable not carrying 24/7, and just use risk assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    T224 says:

"I will point out that, while this incident happened at a gym, the shooting occurred in a parking lot. This really doesn't cover a shooting during a workout scenario."

When I read the story and contemplated the message, I thought that part of what was going on was said bystander, because he was at a gym and was not carrying on body, drove him to having gun in car and having to retrieve it, thereby potentially wasting valuable time/tactical advantage etc v. simply having a weapon on your body even while working out in the gym, ergo the inextricably intertwined set of events between the gym and the parking lot.

FWIW/YMMV
    That's not what I got out of this:

A witness to the shootings, Sebastian Henry, of Kalispell, shared his account of the incidents with the Daily Inter Lake.

"I was walking to the DMV when I saw two guys arguing in the parking lot (of the fitness center) and the next thing you know, one guy started shooting at the other, it was about five or six times," Henry said. "I didn't see if the other guy had a gun, but I didn't see one."

Henry said another man came out of the gym and yelled at the shooter before the two exchanged gunfire.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    As for fanny packs and chest packs, that would be extremely out of place; people simply don't do that, because what would you keep in there that would make any sense?
    "What's that fanny pack thing you're wearing?"

"Oh uhh... it's just my chalk bag.."

"That looks heavy, how much chalk do you carry?"

"Three pounds"

">_>"

"Yeah, my hands sweat A LOT!"
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Open carry...at least then you can get the bench when you want it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Open carry...at least then you can get the bench when you want it.
    Wear two guns, that way you can say you're trying to be symmetrical with your gains.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Wear two guns, that way you can say you're trying to be symmetrical with your gains.
    Good point.

Though there is something to be said for unilateral training. It's all the rage with the functional training crowd.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List