Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry your gear

Site Supporter

Carry your gear

As my friend, John Farnam, says "When you least expect it, you're elected".

10:52 am, not midnight. At the gym, literally minding your own business.

Carry your damned gun.

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2021...d-two-injured/

This has been discussed in other subsections, but I find gym to be the hardest place to conceal. Less support from gym clothes, more exposure chances with vigorous movements. I've not tried the newer options like the Enigma but I dunno how it will work with deep squats etc. Off body carry in a gym bag is the only way that I can do it reliably.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    This has been discussed in other subsections, but I find gym to be the hardest place to conceal. Less support from gym clothes, more exposure chances with vigorous movements. I've not tried the newer options like the Enigma but I dunno how it will work with deep squats etc. Off body carry in a gym bag is the only way that I can do it reliably.
    For sure much tougher to carry on person. If you wear sweat pants an ankle holster is an option. The Enigma is pretty impressive even for decent activity but I haven't tried it at the gym. Nothing beats a polymer 380 in Smart carry for me. Easy on and off when changing, works with pants or shorts and any activity while staying on body and concealed.

Site Supporter
    I confess I am not a full on gym rat. 20-30 min of cardio on a bike or treadmill and 2-3 sets of 10 on some machines 3x week max.

I do not know of this sweat pants issue that you speak.

With the advent of various tech fabrics, Prana/Kuhl/First Ascent (Eddie Bauer) etc. , all make stretchy pants that/shorts have belt loops and the freedom of movement needed for most workouts.
    40-90 retail. 20-50% off with a sharp pencil. Walmart/Target/Costco knock offs of same ar 15ish-30ish on a daily basis.

https://www.prana.com/men/bottoms/zi...promotion-full

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-...Pant/999372685

Kydex AIWB/Wilderness or MMT belt/G19 or J-Frame/Appropriate wicking T base layer and cover garment. Purpose designed belt with purpose designed holster and it is not that hard. If I had a single stack .380 or 9mm, it would be even easier.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 09-17-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I work out in a garage gym, but I have done a lot of my workouts with my Enigma on. The only thing I would worry about doing while wearing it would be burpees. I don't think dropping to prone on the gun would be that comfortable. Squats are no problem. Bench may be an issue if there is a failed lift and there is no spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've not tried the newer options like the Enigma but I dunno how it will work with deep squats etc.
    There's been enough real-world testing at this point to conclude that if you can do it with a belt mounted holster and pants you can also do it with an Enigma and swim trunks. Or buck naked if that's your thing.
    But it's not great for .380's as they just get too small to work well with the Enigma... You actually get better concealment stepping up to the P365 size range.

I will point out that, while this incident happened at a gym, the shooting occurred in a parking lot. This really doesn't cover a shooting during a workout scenario. That being said, the only thing I ever found workable during a workout was an ankle holster and long pants. Everything else presented some kind of issue I wasn't willing to deal with. Fortunately, I no longer use a public gym. Now, I use the gym at work before I go on duty and I do it early before anyone's around. Consequently, I could work out buck ass naked wearing nothing but a shoulder rig and no one would notice. (Sorry for the visual.)
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Outside my lane as I have only ever been to climbing gyms with Scouts.

My thoughts are these. Hppy to be educated by those with more education/training/experience in this realm.

Presuming you are not in violation of applicable law and visual exposure would be embarrassing without being a law violation:

Closed loop IWB/AIWB with a thumb break

Purposed designed Fanny Pack

Hill People Gear Chest Pack

Appropriate Cover Garment of Wicking Material
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    T224 says:

"I will point out that, while this incident happened at a gym, the shooting occurred in a parking lot. This really doesn't cover a shooting during a workout scenario."

When I read the story and contemplated the message, I thought that part of what was going on was said bystander, because he was at a gym and was not carrying on body, drove him to having gun in car and having to retrieve it, thereby potentially wasting valuable time/tactical advantage etc v. simply having a weapon on your body even while working out in the gym, ergo the inextricably intertwined set of events between the gym and the parking lot.

FWIW/YMMV

User Tag List