Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Multi-tool?

I really like my Leatherman Free P4. It is the only expensive modern multitool I have owned so nothing to compare it against. All tools lock back, has all the small tools I find myself needing and more, though sometimes I have wished I could get more torque on the pliers, but I imagine that would be the same with any reasonably sized multitool.

A bit holder is very important to me so I use a Wera female square drive to female hex drive adapter, which I keep in a box of 6mm bits I got on amazon for like $10. The female square drive slips over the phillips and flathead tools and stays pit when working. Gives me bits for everything rather than the limited and expensive 4mm bits used in dedicated leatherman bit holders.

I've used a bunch of Leathermans: the Wave, Super Tool, Wingman, Skeletool CX, MUT, but my favorite is the Rebar, mainly because Leatherman's flat driver bits and I don't get along. I don't know how many Philips bits I've rounded off, and I couldn't ever figure out how to carry all the bits I might need. The Rebar has a dedicated (non flat) Philips driver, as well as a couple flat-blade drivers. It's like a Super Tool light.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    I've been carrying a Leatherman Crunch for 11 years or so. The vise grip has been useful.
    --Jason--

I carried an original Leatherman for 15+ years. After the sheath wore through the bottom edges, and the pliers became loose, I retired it, and switched to a Wave a few years ago. I like the Wave, but I wish I could find a slim/simple sheath for it, that didn't suck. Most are huge on the belt, and a bunch of them are garbage.

Site Supporter
    I prefer a Victorinox SAK and some quality needle nose pliers (current favorite are some small ones from Knipex).

My 1996 wave was great … I have bought 6 LM since then and they have all been just so so quality. I am a tradesmen a did you ACTUALLY USE them as tools … they fail pretty quick. Soft metals. The Surge has lasted the longest. LM will warranty them no problem … but it is a hassle. All in all … they don’t make them like they used to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I carried an original Leatherman for 15+ years. After the sheath wore through the bottom edges, and the pliers became loose, I retired it, and switched to a Wave a few years ago. I like the Wave, but I wish I could find a slim/simple sheath for it, that didn't suck. Most are huge on the belt, and a bunch of them are garbage.
    I keep a Crunch in my truck bag, mostly because of the genius of its design. Folding pliers aren't exactly rocket science but a folding locking plier? Yeah... It's damn near impossible to believe a human could design that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    My 1996 wave was great … I have bought 6 LM since then and they have all been just so so quality. I am a tradesmen a did you ACTUALLY USE them as tools … they fail pretty quick. Soft metals. The Surge has lasted the longest. LM will warranty them no problem … but it is a hassle. All in all … they don’t make them like they used to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had a jaw snap off of a LM Super Tool years ago while pulling a nail out of a tire. Did LM replace it for free? Yes. Did that help me out in the moment? Nope.

I have since pretty much given up on multi tools as they are too much of a compromise... The driver bits bend or deform and the needle nose combo pliers are a compromise in their own right. And I always have a few good knives with me so the shit-pot blades are also useless.

I carry a small pair of Knipex Cobra Pliers now and they can actually do Real work.

Site Supporter
    I have both Leatherman and Gerber. My favorite is a Gerber that's close to 20 years old.

I have real wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers and bits and pliers in vehicles and larger range setups because when you need a tool you really need a real tool, but I still have and use a bunch of multi tools due to ....stuff... My favorites are leathermans, both the Skeletool CX and particularly the Sidekick, they are small, have a decent selection of usefulness included and most importantly have pocket clips. I'm not going to put another pouch on my belt or kit for a multi tool, I already have enough shit attached to those. They are also relatively affordable at the base PX's and to be honest I have found many of the ones I have out in the training areas I frequent after other units have passed through... as well as all of the other brands and types. I kinda hope to find a lost in the woods Multitasker someday, as they look nice but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a multi tool. I've never cared for the MUT's or the EOD ones that the USMC seems to like to give out every now and then. If I'm actually crimping charges then I'm using real crimpers as well...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    If I'm actually crimping charges then I'm using real crimpers as well...
    Using the proper tools when fiddle-farting around with high explosives? Seems like sound reasoning I suppose.

User Tag List