Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Multi-tool?

Favorite Multi-tool?

What's yours? Why? looking to add one or two to my kit. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I have always been a big fan of Geber because they are easily opened one handed relative to most other brands. The have several "Mil-Spec" models that are made in the USA as transparently displayed on their website.

Mine is 25 years old and continues to serve well.

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/sho...erOfResults=20
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Have multiple examples of Leatherman, Gerber, others. The one in my range bag is one I "won" at some training course I went to (believe an LAV one). It's a "Pocketsmith" with a Caspian label on it, and is 1911 centric. The jaws will fit the bushing, it has multiple screwdriver blades, hex wrenches, round rod, etc. Don't know that I've ever used it, but it's pretty nice.

I always end up looking for the tool that is designed for the specific job, rather than compromising with a multitool. That said, if you can't carry around a tool box, the multitool sure beats trying to use fingers or teeth. I have found that the cutters on some (those behind the toothed pliers) aren't up to cutting some wire that diagonal cutters would snip easily.

The "multitool" that I carry and use constantly is a Victorinox Tinker that I bought when I started working; it has to be getting close to 50 years old. It's still going; I'm retired.

It's a compromise, but certainly not a bad tool.

Site Supporter
    Leatherman, pick your poison on what you want it to do.

I carried a SOG Power Plier on my duty belt about twenty years. I like that I can open it one-handed. I carried a Leatherman Wave a long time off duty. I like that it has scissors and it’s comfortable in the hand. A few years ago I found two Leatherman Super Tools for half price at Walmart. I bought both, gave the silver one to my nephew for Christmas and have carried the black one since. It’s bigger and heavier than the others but it’s heavier duty also. I’ve used the saw blade in the woods and around the house; I use the ruler quite a bit; and the various screwdrivers as needed. I used the pliers earlier today while installing a bino pouch on a HPG kit bag.
    Today I just got the bit kit and adapter to give it more capability.

I've got a few, and my fave is prob a Victorinox Spirit X in black oxide. It isn't perfect (things that come to mind are--besides no one hand opening (for most tools)--the not-quite-precise-enough end "needlenose" pliers, limited opening of the scissors, absence of a ruler, and a bit strange phillips head driver), but I've gotten a fair bit done with it. The tool set is good, and outside accessible.

ETA: clarification.

Leatherman original super tool. It was gifted to me 20 years ago by my mentor and I've carried it daily since. I bought 6 original belt sheaths at a gun show way back and am on my 3rd one. I have 2 other original super tools that I got as surplus at a local Army/navy store. One is even blackened stainless.

I have Gerber milsurps that I leave in range bags and vehicles.

I carry a Leatherman MUT everyday as well as the bit kit that works with it. Its large, but I dont generally notice it.

Gerber

I keep one in every vehicle. It’s useful in a pinch.

Leatherman Wave. I have a MUT, but use the Wave a lot more often.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List