Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 42 Reliability

My 2014 AAxx-prefix G42 is a lemon - it hasn't failed yet in ~1000 rounds. I don't use it much anymore except for the occasional GSSF match but I would have no issue carrying it., even if it may get me kilt in da streets.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Data point: 2020 purchase blue label 42 with 03 mags, ~500 rounds including a GSSF match, mostly round nose FMJ but also flat WWB, some Hornady CD and HST, 0 malf. The latter ~400 rounds were with Pearce +1 floor plates. Carries in the Bianchi 'Professional' as the option light enough to hang off unbelted shorts.

Hammertime
    Two G42s, total of 4370 rounds between them, using at least 15 different types of ammo. Four stoppages in that time, all due to bad ammo or primers.

They shoot absolutely great and are my favorite 380 to shoot. I have no reservations recommending them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I get the feeling that it is designed to be a pocketgun that is as small as possible with no consideration of reloads after it is empty.
    I bought my 42 with the intention of pocket carrying it. When I actually tried to pocket carry the gun, I found out that the gun would hang up coming out of the pocket really bad. The Guns shape in the rear and the little beavertail acts like a small hammer to get hung up coming out of pockets of various sizes and shapes. Very disappointing in that I love the little gun and it's very reliable and shoots extremely well and especially so in comparison to that nasty little Gat: the G43.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post
    I bought my 42 with the intention of pocket carrying it. When I actually tried to pocket carry the gun, I found out that the gun would hang up coming out of the pocket really bad. The Guns shape in the rear and the little beavertail acts like a small hammer to get hung up coming out of pockets of various sizes and shapes. Very disappointing in that I love the little gun and it's very reliable and shoots extremely well and especially so in comparison to that nasty little Gat: the G43.
    Same experience here. I sold mine and went back to a G43 on the ankle for NPE. Probably should have kept it, it was reliable and I actually won a BUG side match with it. I shot all Fiocchi ball ammo and Federal 90 grain Hydra-Shok in mine. (Plus a few Lehigh xtreme defender)

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Same experience here. I sold mine and went back to a G43 on the ankle for NPE. Probably should have kept it, it was reliable and I actually won a BUG side match with it. I shot all Fiocchi ball ammo and Federal 90 grain Hydra-Shok in mine. (Plus a few Lehigh xtreme defender)
    I've had the same experience.

Prior to acquiring my 42 for use in NPEs, I'd gotten the impression that the 42 is at it's best when "hotter" ammunition is used, so I have used nothing except Fiocchi ammunition with 100% reliability given it's deserved reputation for being "full-power" loads. My suspicion is that these small semi-autos, having a shorter slide reciprocation, need plenty of impulse to cycle reliably.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

My last G42 would cycle anything I put in it, although Fiocchi extrema, or however they spell that uplevel load with the 90gr Hornady XTP pill in it, seemed to run smoother. That was my favorite load for that gun. But, again, anything from cheap ball to 20 year old remmy 88gr jhp ran fine, despite that remmy having the ogive of the talking pug from “men in black.”
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I've found G42s to be most reliable with high velocity loads and longer more conical profile bullets. The XTP is a particularly good feeder.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post
    Draw from the pocket like a S&W 36 or 37 with an intact hammer spur. The thumb on the beavertail makes for a smooth draw just like the snubby revolvers. This is how I do it but YMMV. Also remember that the 42 (or any other auto) will generally be less tolerant of pocket lint etc that a snubby. It will need a more frequent maintenance interval if pocket carried.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

The wife's CCW has continually progressed to smaller guns from a G19 to a Kahr, G43 (which she absolutely hated) to a late 2020 production G42 with 03 mags. 100% reliable with Gold Dots and flat-nosed FMJs. It's the perfect compromise for her daily carry.
    I liken it to my 365XL... It's a diminutive gun that handles and has the accuracy of a much larger gun.

User Tag List